You are here

homage to bach

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

homage to bach

Postby BoscoOsco » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:14 am

I love bach and this is my homage to him. Instead of trying to imitate his gorgeous fluid counterpoint, I went ahead and put my own spin on it by allowing the other voices (mostly found in the left hand) to shine and intrude as percussive "sound effects". I call it Endlessly Partita

Also haha, a sub to my channel would mean the world to me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQi-0BUK_WQ
BoscoOsco
Poster

Re: homage to bach

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 am

BoscoOsco wrote:I love bach and this is my homage to him. Instead of trying to imitate his gorgeous fluid counterpoint, I went ahead and put my own spin on it by allowing the other voices (mostly found in the left hand) to shine and intrude as percussive "sound effects". I call it Endlessly Partita

Also haha, a sub to my channel would mean the world to me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQi-0BUK_WQ

You have incredible technique, use it wisely.
It's "Bach" not "bach"

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Smellthevalve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Nice one.
I wouldn't be able to take a video like that unless wearing a wig 8-)
Smellthevalve
Regular

Postby Folderol » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Excellent playing. However, I find this sort of thing impressive rather than enjoyable.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 am

I've listened to this a few times now, and hesitated to post a reply because I wasn't quite sure how to put my reaction into words.

You have a lot of talent on the piano and have worked on it hard, obviously. I also admire your drive to compose and create original pieces, it's a trait I identify with strongly.

As played, this particular work does not do much for me musically, it sounds rather mechanical and lifeless, almost like a technical exercise as opposed to a piece. I think you are attempting to play it a little too quickly, as some of the trills and jumps have tiny smudges where you didn't quite get it right as a result (or at least, that's how it sounds to me). The tempo also detracts from the 'feel' of it ... it doesn't convey anything of note to me other than an appreciation for your ability to play the piano, which really isn't the point in all probability.

This is a very subjective opinion of course, and I do very much like most of your material so consider this as an attempt to give you some well meaning, if honest, feedback as you asked for!

Have you tried playing this at a somewhat slower tempo 'with feeling'? I would be interested to hear what that sounded like as I suspect it could radically alter my perception of the piece for the better.

All the above said, I congratulate you on your hard work and dedication and look forward to hearing more of your compositions.

As a related aside, my piano mentor of many years when I was young (he was also a lecturer at the Royal Academy of Music) had a saying that went something along the lines of:

"Bach was a master of technicality but was no Beethoven.
Beethoven was a master of feel, but was no Bach."

I think he worded it slightly differently in a way which made it sound more profound, but it was his way of saying that while technical pieces are quite valid, it should not be forgotten that music is as much about emotion as it is about technical prowess and a balance should be striven for. He also had a strong disapproval for playing anything faster than it should be, or faster than you can cleanly play it. I'm sometimes guilty of both!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:55 am

I find it technically accomplished but that last phrase (from about 1:43) is repeated virtually verbatim at least 10 times. Sounds like a loop, or in the days of disc records, a "locked groove". I feel the piece could be edited and used as part of a larger work perhaps yet to be written.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby GilesAnt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:54 am

I have to agree with Eddy on this.

Firstly, the fact that you have written, performed, published, and asked for feedback is an achievement in itself and one to be applauded.

However the music itself is rather repetitive and lacking in variation, interest or tension/release. More like an exercise as Eddy says. That said, although I am a huge fan of Bach, I am critical enough to say that some of his everyday stuff is also a little like this too.

In terms of variation, I notice your right hand hardly leaves the 'comfort zone' of about an octave span just above middle C. I think you could be a little more adventurous here. Harmonically it is limited, although the 'change' section does work well I think. However there is all too little variation and way too much repetition...despite understanding the title is Endlessly Partita

As a homage to Bach I think you are way off course. To call it a homage and then to say 'instead of trying to imitate his gorgeous flowing counterpoint...….' rather pulls the rug from under your own feet. I know Bach isn't all counterpoint, but it is the first thing that comes to mind. There is nothing in the piece which hints at or reminds me of Bach - harmonically or melodically, or stylistically. Having lots of notes in both right and left hand isn't enough in my opinion.

But, you have produced a decent effort despite my criticisms. I know nothing about you but suspect this and others you have posted are student works which bode well for your future development. It is a great start and I look forward to hearing how you develop.
GilesAnt
Regular