You are here

Help needed syncing Cubase & Logic

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Help needed syncing Cubase & Logic

Postby Adam Ross » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:19 pm

So, after lots of research and even more trial and error I have exhausted all avenues so seeking some expert knowledge on the subject to try to help figure this out! Here's the situation:

I record on cubase on a PC with delta1010 and I would like to use this as the master sync to a macbook running logic as a slave. The macbook has a USB midi in/out and I was trying to send MTC signal via this means. The interface lights would seem to indicate the signal is reaching the macbook, but can't seem to get logic to respond to it in any way. MIDI is not a strong point of mine so I realise it's quite possible i've made some basic errors in understanding or config here. Is what I'm trying to do even possible? I have only found reference to it being done within the same system.
Is there another/better way to sync them?

Thanks in advance.
Adam Ross
New here

Re: Help needed syncing Cubase & Logic

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:06 pm

It's been a while since I last used Logic but in principle you'll need to set the synchronization settings on it to follow an external MIDI clock, which it doesn't have enabled by default.

There is some information here that you may find useful: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13346?locale=en_US - I would consult that article and then get back to us if you still have problems!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:It's been a while since I last used Logic but in principle you'll need to set the synchronization settings on it to follow an external MIDI clock, which it doesn't have by default.

No, you can't do that - Logic won't slave to external MIDI clock. You'll have to send it MTC (which the OP is doing), and make sure it's in external sync mode, so it responds to MTC.

If it's still not working, I'll walk you through the settings...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:13 pm

desmond wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:It's been a while since I last used Logic but in principle you'll need to set the synchronization settings on it to follow an external MIDI clock, which it doesn't have by default.

No, you can't do that - Logic won't slave to external MIDI clock. You'll have to send it MTC (which the OP is doing), and make sure it's in external sync mode, so it responds to MTC.

If it's still not working, I'll walk you through the settings...

I acknowledge my sloppy use of terminology - I did mean MTC, but I didn't use the correct terms and even worse, MIDI clock is something else altogether. I shall give myself a good talking to :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Adam Ross » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks,
I think I have the cubase side set up correctly (activate external sync mode, and set destination for MTC)
On the Logic side I have sync mode as MTC, with auto detect sync and format both checked.
Still nothing, or at least isn't responding when I play/stop/record within cubase?
Adam Ross
New here

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Adam Ross wrote:I think I have the cubase side set up correctly (activate external sync mode, and set destination for MTC)

Hmm - putting something into "external sync mode" usually means you're telling it to sync to an incoming timecode (ie, to be a sync slave). In this case, you might be asking Cubase to sync to something external, and asking Logic to sync to something external, so there's no master at all.

Cubase should be in regular, internal sync mode, but transmitting MTC to the correct port. Logic should be in external sync mode, as you're you're telling Logic to listen and sync to incoming timecode from Cubase...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Adam Ross » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Ah interesting. I had misunderstood it’s meaning. Will give that a go thank you
Adam Ross
New here

Postby Adam Ross » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Sadly this didn't solve the issue, although have just noticed that on the sync button on the toolbar (logic) it is labelled as SMPTE (MTC) and wondering if it is not actually expecting the signal over MIDI? or in some other format.
Adam Ross
New here

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Adam Ross wrote:Sadly this didn't solve the issue, although have just noticed that on the sync button on the toolbar (logic) it is labelled as SMPTE (MTC) and wondering if it is not actually expecting the signal over MIDI? or in some other format.

That's correct, and is basically all you need to do in Logic. I stuck Logic in SMPTE/MTC sync mode, and downloaded a demo of this: https://sononum.net/horae

...which is a simply lightweight tool to generate MTC. I adjusted the start time in that, as my Logic projects have a start time of 01:00:00:00 (you can set this in the Syncronisation project settings in Logic) and they need to match, then hit play on Horae, (which was sending MTC to the IAC Bus) and Logic happily started playing along. That verifies Logic is working, and syncing to incoming MTC fine.

Now, you'll want to check your Cubase setup. Make sure you set it's start time to the same start time as your Logic project. Make sure Cubase is in normal sync mode, and make sure it's sending MTC, and to the correct MIDI port that you've connected your Mac too.

If you're *sure* Cubase is sending MTC correctly, and things aren't working, you've not given any details about the MIDI interface you're using, but check you're not filtering out MTC/clock on the MIDI interface, as some interfaces have a bunch of filtering options, or are sensitive to which port MTC will be handled on.

Edit: Wait, I've just read your initial post again. Are you saying you're not using a MIDI interface at all, you've plugged a USB cable from the PC to the Mac, and are expecting to use it as a MIDI interface? It's not clear, but I don't think that's going to work to transmit MIDI over - a USB cable on it's own is not a MIDI interface. Or do you have some software setup that installs a virtual MIDI device, and can transmit over MIDI? Or are you using a cheap USB to MIDI cable - these are known to be pretty terrible, if so. What MIDI port are you outputting to from the PC, and what MIDI port are you receiving from on the Mac? Can the system see those MIDI ports?

I'm not totally clear on how you're rigging this up, so the more specific you can be, the more we can try to help...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Adam Ross » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:38 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will try your plugin to confirm logic is actually receiving correctly and hopefully narrow it down further.
Apologies for not being specific about the setup but the usb cable I referred to is a usb midi interface which just provides a midi in/out and no audio. It is a cheap one off eBay if I remember, which works fine for hooking up my keyboard but your comment about filtering makes me think this could be the culprit.
Adam Ross
New here