You are here

My latest solo piano work - songlike with an awesomely gorgeous melody

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

My latest solo piano work - songlike with an awesomely gorgeous melody

Postby BoscoOsco » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HJHE6baBQk

I had a lot of fun writing this particular piece due to its gorgeous melody and the little nuances I tried to create here and there. I explore the rising octave motif (first heard in the opening melody) throughout the piece––it also being the catalyst in the three short sections dividing the return to the main theme.
BoscoOsco
Poster

Re: My latest solo piano work - songlike with an awesomely gorgeous melody

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 am

I'm liking the 'emotion and feel' you're getting in your last couple of posts :thumbup:

May I gently suggest that rather than just posting 'hey I did this, give me feedback' posts that you take a little time to engage in a 2-way sense? From time to time we have people posting in various forums here who could really use input from folks like you, who have knowledge and experience on an instrument. The SOS forum is very tolerant of 'passers by' trying to promote their work but in due course without 2-way communication this will wither and you will get fewer responses, which seems a shame.

To illustrate what I mean, there is actually a dedicated forum for self-promotion which is really good, but you need to participate in the community for a while (specifically, 200 posts) before you can create new threads in it.

We all love good music, and we all appreciate good musicianship, but we tend not to continually engage with posters unless they engage with us in return and become part of the community.

I, as a fellow pianist, would love to see you become a 'regular' and not only make posts about something you've done but also contribute to other people's questions and posts. I promise you you'll find the experience worthwhile, as on these forums there are industry veterans, mixers, masterers, engineers, recording experts, top-flight musos and more.

Cheers :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi again Oscar!

I'm loving this piece , although I wasn't so keen on the staccato section between 0:57 and 1:01, as for me it destroyed the legato mood created by the rest of the composition, and sounded a little like an unexpected jump into ragtime style ;)

I do also have to echo Eddy thoughts on joining in more here on the forums - we'd love to have your informed feedback on some of our collective work.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm

BoscoOsco wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HJHE6baBQk

I had a lot of fun writing this particular piece due to its gorgeous melody and the little nuances I tried to create here and there. I explore the rising octave motif (first heard in the opening melody) throughout the piece––it also being the catalyst in the three short sections dividing the return to the main theme.

I think you deffo have talent but I'd much rather hear 'you' if you see what I mean. I find these compositions a bit derivative. Like you're doing pastiche exercises for a harmony class. One day Bach...the next day Chopin..etc..etc. They leave me kinda cold if I'm being honest.

I really think you should try and develop an original 'voice'. I have watched a couple of your videos and I am not sure what your musical voice is.

Hopefully that's constructive advice.

Hey, just my opinion though!
ReadySaltedChris
Regular