You are here

Piece functions help needed

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Piece functions help needed

Postby merlyn » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:53 pm

@GilesAnt Yes Am works. I went for a classic chord progression :

|I / ii V |I / / / |IV / / / |viim7b5 / III7 / | vi / II7 / | V / - - |

using a ii V to get to Am and a ii V before G. Now the roots go in fourths : C F B E A D G.

I've kept the bassline because I want to keep the pattern going.
merlyn
Regular

Postby GilesAnt » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Nice work. Thinking outside the obvious key can open up new possibilities. You have nicely prepared the modulation with E7 Am D7 G at the end. Classic cycle of 5ths.

Did you intend the B in the tenor in bar 2? It works well - though probably in a different style than you meant.

I can almost see you jumping through hoops to avoid those dreaded consecutives, so well done for navigating that. Sometimes it is almost impossible to avoid, but if you have to have them make sure they aren't between the outer parts.

The only real problem I can see is bar 3, 3rd beat, where you have octave Ds in the top 2 parts and octave As in the bottom 2. That's a bit bare.
GilesAnt
Regular

Postby rbarata » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:51 pm

Obviously I'm light years behind you both.
I appreciated your efforts but, as has been noted, this melody is not the best for my intentions. Anyway, I'll keep posting my works always looking for criticism and advise.
As I'm studying now melody contruction, I'll keep to it.

About my score editor...I'm using Muse Score. It's free and does the job and accepts VSTi's which is great.
rbarata
New here

Previous