Harvest is a MIDI plugin sequence generator that can produce note melodies, chords, and rhythmic patterns.
Let’s get right down to it with a pre-emptive strike against the opposition. Is using Harvest cheating? I’ll answer a question with questions.
• Is using a word processor instead of a typewriter cheating?
• Is using a nail gun instead of a hammer and nails cheating?
• Is opening up a dictionary or thesaurus cheating?
Harvest doesn’t complete a composition and market it. It’s a tool, devised to “Unlimit your MIDI.” Does it succeed? In my case, YES! Harvest has quickly become one of my favorite tools. The learning curve is shallow. In no time, I was up and running, navigating about and creating. In a word — INSPIRING!!! I particularly find it useful for developing unique melodic leads and basses. It’s also great at tweaking melodies and blasting through songwriter’s block via randomizing. Here’s where I plagiarized my workflow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thEsZGnA7No
• Open a couple MIDI tracks, one for Harvest and the other for an instrument that Harvest controls.
• Select number of bars, note length, and quantization
• Input notes or select from a list of preset keys (scales/mode) and chords
• Use metronome to tap-out notes (all notes will be in key as per key selection)
• Lock-in desired notes and ReGen (randomize) the rest . . . almost like playing poker . . . keep the good cards and ask for a few new ones. Only with Harvest you can keep asking for replacement notes until you nail it!
• Press record to print onto instrument track.
• Edit and shape as/if needed.
• Add more layers if desired.
• Add FX to taste (
• Neat, clean, inviting interface
• Easy to use; fun to use; fast; musical
• Demolishes songwriter’s block
• Subtly teaches music theory
• Interactive Piano Roll
• Humanize for some swag and swing
• Updated frequently
• Responsive developer with good customer support
• Excellent video tutorials
• Good price
• Stand-alone version
• Increase number of bars to 32
• Note locking issue identified by KVR Audio Member, Saffran: “Only two options to lock notes, click one note at a time or all notes. If you have 30 notes and want to lock 2/3, that's 20 clicks. Why can't any of them turn into lasso selecting when ctrl-clicked?”
• Streamline CPU consumption
Harvest has quickly become an indispensable tool in my virtual toolbox. No regrets whatsoever. It’s extremely musical. If you’re a songwriter of any genre, check this out. There’s a free version, Harvest Mini. If you dig that, step up to big bro. unique workflow for writing music. Thanks, Harvest Plugins, for developing this amazing audio composition software.
You are here
Harvest MIDI Plugin Sequence Generator User Review by Tommy Zai
Post your own hardware/software reviews.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 am
I am Tommy Zai!
Users browsing this forum: n o i s e f l e ur