You are here

Music and memories

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: Music and memories

Postby Arpangel » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:30 am

blinddrew wrote:I disagree with that final statement Arpangel. There's plenty of interesting, exciting, arresting even, music out there, it just rarely makes it into the mainstream.
It was ever thus. :)

I was listening to BBC6 Music last night, a woman came on, it was sort of interesting, then.....
Bang! that was it, I thought, this is just Enya with more effects, more reverb, and more Crystal Echoes, just more of everything, that ruined it for me then on in.
This is what I'm finding, yes,there seems to be lots going on, but it's just the latest effects and production techniques, there's no real substance, or genuinely new musical ideas behind this stuff.
If it was up to me I'd ban the "Shimmer" effect, I've got about three units with that on them and I consciously never, ever use it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 pm

There definitely *is* good music being made, but most of us are too lazy to hunt it down.

I was unfortunate enough to be subjected to a couple of hours of MTV recently, and I have to say it was utterly dismaying. How many times can the same half a dozen names be combined around the word 'featuring' to give us 80% of the channel's content? By the time I heard the 20th Autotuned vocal I was considering stuffing my socks in my ears.

Then I do a few YouTube searches and my faith is restored. It's out there, but you have to meet it half way.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Agharta » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:11 pm

The Elf wrote:There definitely *is* good music being made, but most of us are too lazy to hunt it down.

Then I do a few YouTube searches and my faith is restored. It's out there, but you have to meet it half way.

Spotify has made accessing music that is new to me so much easier and cheaper and the "Fans also like" feature has been very helpful.
It's a completely different world to when I was a teenager and one album cost about the equivalent of 2 months Spotify Premium and often buying it was the only way to hear it.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:55 am

The truth is I’m not really that interested in listening to other peoples music, one, I can’t be bothered to make the effort, or search, and two, I’m too involved in trying to make my own.
I’ve got tons of influences, mainly from the past, that’s annoying enough, and I don’t want to add a stack more to those, and I’m also more aware these days, about taking ideas, or sounding like anyone else, as I’ve got older it’s become just not on, I know it’s unavoidable completely, but not listening to others music is a good way out of that situation.
If I want to relax, or chill out, I listen to "easy listening" music, stuff that doesn’t make me listen too hard, things like lo-fi hip hop, or Classic FM these days, but even Classic FM is too interesting, as I’m listening to more classical music than ever, it’s an infinite source of inspiration, unfortunately.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby tea for two » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:29 am

Say a forumee has dementia :
this person probably wouldn't recall SOS forum nor SOS forum members : heaven right.
Yet quite possibly recall a piece of music/s made by a SOS forum member/s.

As our brain gets turned to mush upon death :
memories of family loved ones stored in our brain gets turned to mush.
Dementia is just telling us what's going to happen.

So then what about feelings we experienced such as love, things as music ?

Some composers, musicians sometimes say they dont know how they made a piece of music :
it just came to them (from the ether?)
Vangelis says music is the primary nature of the universe.

This could be seen as possibly why dementia people can recall music as it exists in the ether
yet not recall physical family loved ones whom exist in the physical realm in their brain.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:15 am

tea for two wrote:Say a forumee has dementia :
this person probably wouldn't recall SOS forum nor SOS forum members : heaven right.
Yet quite possibly recall a piece of music/s made by a SOS forum member/s.

As our brain gets turned to mush upon death :
memories of family loved ones stored in our brain gets turned to mush.
Dementia is just telling us what's going to happen.

So then what about feelings we experienced such as love, things as music ?

Some composers, musicians sometimes say they dont know how they made a piece of music :
it just came to them (from the ether?)
Vangelis says music is the primary nature of the universe.

This could be seen as possibly why dementia people can recall music as it exists in the ether
yet not recall physical family loved ones whom exist in the physical realm in their brain.

I watched a video about a lady who had dementia, she couldn’t recognise anyone, but suddenly she would sit at the piano and remember pieces note perfect she’d learned many years ago.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous