You are here

theseus drops the thread....help & direction please

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

theseus drops the thread....help & direction please

Postby hooty2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:53 am

Hello,
Iv'e never quite dared send in a post like this before. Somewhat inspired by the courage of others who do, but also, i have an inherent desire to progress (at any cost) and a personal reason to deliver a result.
My background is art & art therapy & botanical horticulture (orchids at kew gardens)....my image making (chalk & charcoal..{other too but it didn't rhyme})...is either a deft satirical/lyrical sketch or a progressive development that usually destroys the origin.
As life progressed i acquired more sound gear than warrants my ability (an observation, not an apology)...
I learnt to record choirs etc as best i could and then got asked to host balladeers and the like in my home.
Moving on...i like words, i write poetry and stories.
Sitting amongst the gear set up for a guests recording session, i decided to have a shot myself.
To be clear, i'm not musically gifted or educated. I know a few basic chords and no keys or scales...
I am aware i'm openening myself up to some uncomfortable feedback at this point!
Maybe i could be a poet that strums along...
so, i have a link to a recording i made.
I made some of it up as i went along while cribbing from a short poem i had prepared and while monitoring levels on a laptop...hence it's hesitant and lagging at times.
I sang & played into a BOSS acoustic singer with harmony fx on..because i am unsure of my voice. Line outs to a focusrite 18i then file transfer to pc with UAD plugins.

FINALLY: MY QUESTION?
I attempted a overdub of some simple notes, most of which i deleted.
I am completely stumped as to what to do next...
work it, bury it, burn it?
What elements shriek out for attention?
There's no one i can really ask as i'm very shy and a bit isolated.
where to start?

(i have engaged a local Trumpet player in a groovy reggae band to throw some moody trumpet lines over the track...results awaited)

This is a genuine request for advice with no other motive.
I'm prepared (well prepared by direct SOS comments from other threads of mine:)) for brutal advice.
p.s. this is the second time i have submitted a song for advice, but the last was purely for technical advice on compression.
Here is the track:

https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/o ... ndo-repair

Maybe this is not even the sort of thing i should be posting?

Any feedback is welcome and i'm appreciative of anyone who does start at the beginning and manages to keep on to the end (my Brummie heritage coming thru there:)
hooty2
Regular

Re: theseus drops the thread....help & direction please

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:23 pm

hooty2 wrote:I am completely stumped as to what to do next...
work it, bury it, burn it?
What elements shriek out for attention?
There's no one i can really ask as i'm very shy and a bit isolated.
where to start?

(i have engaged a local Trumpet player in a groovy reggae band to throw some moody trumpet lines over the track...results awaited)

Listening through it, I think it's a great start and could be considered complete in its own right if it was a sound you like, though I think you would benefit from continued practice at guitar playing and creating the music for your literary work.

However if you want to make the arrangement 'richer', you have a number of options. Think about what sort of sound you like. Different people will have different preferences; being a keyboard man I quite like some gentle tinkling on a nice piano sound or perhaps a more electric piano, and would try them out. I'd probably also experiment with some synth patches in the form of gentle pads and leads, musical spot FX etc, but not necessarily with the expectation of using them, more to find out what they sound like in case something suggested itself to me as a result.

But that's just me. Others may prefer some nice mournful electric guitar lead (what would Gilmour do?) perhaps some drums or percussion, acoustic bass, a string sound (real or synth) .... the list goes on.

Each of these approaches will result in a different sounding song so as I said, it's probably a good idea to think about what kind of music you like generally and think about the 'overall sound' that it has. You could listen to some reference tracks of that ilk for more ideas what to add.

I think getting a trumpet player involved to experiment with it is a good idea.

Inspiration can come easily one day and is impossible the next. My advice would be to persevere and experiment.

Learning to play an instrument 'properly' helps too, as then you can vary the chords more, add in flourishes, variation and so on to make more of a distinction between one section and another. If you stick to the same two or three chords then repetitiveness can creep in (though some people are able to get away with it with experience).

For example in your track the rhythm of the guitar playing doesn't vary much, nor do the chords even though it does sound nice.

I've heard a lot worse from people who thought they were a lot better :thumbup:

There are no hard and fast rules - embrace the freedom to experiment!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby hooty2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Eddy, many thanks for those thoughts and the time given to make them.
I'm regularly getting to grips with some technique now and while practice may fall short if oerfect, it should get me of the low rung I've been stuck on.
Your encouragement is especially welcomed.
If the trumpet works out, i may even put a sample up.
Sincere thanks
hooty2
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:29 pm

Poop. Meant to listen to this last night. Will try and do so tonight.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 pm

This reminds me of some Dylan's rambling stuff. For me it's all about the poetry, so if this was mine i'd be working on making the vocal really pop. But don't lose those vocal harmony swells, they really contribute to the vibe but also add some needed ear candy.
Trust your voice more i reckon.
The timing hitches do need sorting out if you're going to take this recording further as the basis for a more polished version of the song.
If you're recording at 24 bit and leaving sensible headroom then you shouldn't need to worry about watching levels.
Again if it was mine i'd be looking at adding atmospheric Foley stuff in the background throughout, and the trumpet of course; that sounds very interesting.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby hooty2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 pm

thanks for that input BD,
i reckon i will have another run at it with a bit more confidence and yes, set a level and relax.
I'm playing with cutting it up a little but some of the slack playing is amongst the vocal line so that probably won't have much mileage.
thanks both for your thoughts
it's an encouragement
best
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:39 pm

P.s. foley good idea..i Do such for stories.
hooty2
Regular