You are here

Learning beats on YouTube.

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Learning beats on YouTube.

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 am

I’ve been getting into Lo-Fi Hip-Hop, big time.
OK, like most people, I’m interested in how some people go about putting it together, but ultimately, I’d like to do it my way, and try and make some sort of a cross-over into my music as it stands already.
So I’m on YouTube, I was very disappointed, almost nothing there I found useful, what I did find was the "building block" construction set sample pack mentality.
Download some vinyl crackle, download some loops, chords etc, and just put them into Ableton and Bobs your uncle.
The result is that a lot of this stuff sounds very similar, and, dangerous thoughts I know, but IMO there’s very little skill involved in all this, it’s literally just like painting by numbers.
If that’s what people like doing then fine, but for me it wouldn’t feel very fulfilling, and I wouldn’t have very much sense of achievement at the end of it.
Looks like you can put together lots of music this way, and it’s leading to a lot of very generic sounding music.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Re: Learning beats on YouTube.

Postby desmond » Sun May 17, 2020 9:43 am

Arpangel wrote:The result is that a lot of this stuff sounds very similar, and, dangerous thoughts I know, but IMO there’s very little skill involved in all this, it’s literally just like painting by numbers.

It's not really a skill thing. This kind of creating music from other music is more about your taste in finding and putting together source material, and to build a vibe - not so much the skill in how to sample or any clever programming or musical chops.

It's not my type of music either, but to dismiss it as not requiring any particularly musical skill is probably unfair - there are lots of pieces of music being made that don't require any particular musical skill - for example, you posted a YouTube video recently of someone noodling around and pressing a few keys on a bunch of synths, which to me didn't require much musical skill, not did it communicate or speak to me much either.

Different folks have different loves, and different ways of working, and make different kinds of music. That's a good thing! :thumbup:

Of course, more people have access to sophisticated tools, which means more people can do it, which means there is likely more average or low quality music too. And there's plenty of people using DAWs and synths to make music with zero musical theory or understanding too.

Arpangel wrote:If that’s what people like doing then fine, but for me it wouldn’t feel very fulfilling, and I wouldn’t have very much sense of achievement at the end of it.

Indeed, me too. Much like synth noodling, or spending all afternoon making a modular synth go play itself. Fun, but to *me*, that's not really what I consider music, and it doesn't do much for me. But I'm fine if others just *love* doing that. Some folks don't want to write songs, or create pieces that take you somewhere emotionally - some people just want to play with synths and make noise.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio