You are here

accurate chord charts

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

accurate chord charts

Postby MadManDan » Fri May 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Hi all. Hope everyone's safe.

My primary instrument is keys. I'm looking to learn pieces from 70s 80s pop and r and b, basically "yacht rock" :lol: Any recommendations for decent charts, by the song? Don't need entire books. I can follow chord names, but don't fluently read staff.

I'll pay, it is worth it. There are so many really horribly charted interpretations online, "Free" as in "you get what you pay for." Tired of that.
User avatar
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Across the pond....New Yawk

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Hi Sier 10.13.3. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Pro Tools 2019.6.0.  Cubase 10.5 Artist
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat


Re: accurate chord charts

Postby ef37a » Sat May 23, 2020 12:50 am

MadManDan wrote:Hi all. Hope everyone's safe.

My primary instrument is keys. I'm looking to learn pieces from 70s 80s pop and r and b, basically "yacht rock" :lol: Any recommendations for decent charts, by the song? Don't need entire books. I can follow chord names, but don't fluently read staff.

I'll pay, it is worth it. There are so many really horribly charted interpretations online, "Free" as in "you get what you pay for." Tired of that.

When I was in a 'group' in the sixties as soon as the latest Beatles or other Liverpool band's hit came out I was down to the music shop in town to buy the 'piano copy'. Are they not published any more?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11504
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: accurate chord charts

Postby MadManDan » Sat May 23, 2020 6:07 am

me too back in the 80s and 90s. I mean, now everything is online. I just want authoratative, not some bugger's half assed interpretations. If there's a site that only gets straight from the publishers, that might work. Might be most like those music store books
User avatar
MadManDan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Across the pond....New Yawk

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Hi Sier 10.13.3. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Pro Tools 2019.6.0.  Cubase 10.5 Artist
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat


Re: accurate chord charts

Postby innerchord » Sat May 23, 2020 6:31 am

Are the Fake Book series from Hal Leonard the sort of thing? They're very affordable, and can be obtained as downloads if that's preferable.
innerchord
Regular
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 12:00 am
 

Re: accurate chord charts

Postby shufflebeat » Sat May 23, 2020 8:36 am

If simple chord names are enough then check out the iReal pro app on Android and iOS. The forumites who share files tend, in my experience, to be a little more conscientious in their efforts.

The app is also really well designed for putting sheets together and has a pretty useful playback facility.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4664
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: accurate chord charts

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 am

ef37a wrote:When I was in a 'group' in the sixties as soon as the latest Beatles or other Liverpool band's hit came out I was down to the music shop in town to buy the 'piano copy'. Are they not published any more?

Dave.

[fake Yorkshire accent]Luxury! when I were a lad we 'ad to make our own piano copies[/fake Yorkshire accent]

They were often difficult for us guitarists to interpret as they were, to all intents and purposes, a solo piano arrangement of a song which may have several guitars (but often no actual piano) on the original. Particularly when you got to some Beatles stuff and similar where extended chords were shared by two or more guitars and may be unplayable on a single instrument.

I have iReal Pro and, yes it is pretty good, much better than the efforts on most of the 'chordfinder.com' type sites. But it's usually pretty easy to find and correct mistakes in a dodgy chart (and often easier than working the whole thing out from scratch and typing it into the computer).

You can still get caught out though, even in these days of YouTube, I spent an inordanent amount of time learning "Romeo & Juliet" in standard tuning, played it for years before discovering MK player it in (IIRC) Open G..... :oops:
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12237
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: accurate chord charts

Postby BJG145 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:54 am

MadManDan wrote:There are so many really horribly charted interpretations online

Idiots, spamming their failed transcriptions everywhere. :protest:

I've found the only way to get the right chords is to do it yourself.
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: accurate chord charts

Postby ef37a » Sat May 23, 2020 11:02 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
ef37a wrote:When I was in a 'group' in the sixties as soon as the latest Beatles or other Liverpool band's hit came out I was down to the music shop in town to buy the 'piano copy'. Are they not published any more?

Dave.

[fake Yorkshire accent]Luxury! when I were a lad we 'ad to make our own piano copies[/fake Yorkshire accent]

They were often difficult for us guitarists to interpret as they were, to all intents and purposes, a solo piano arrangement of a song which may have several guitars (but often no actual piano) on the original. Particularly when you got to some Beatles stuff and similar where extended chords were shared by two or more guitars and may be unplayable on a single instrument.

I have iReal Pro and, yes it is pretty good, much better than the efforts on most of the 'chordfinder.com' type sites. But it's usually pretty easy to find and correct mistakes in a dodgy chart (and often easier than working the whole thing out from scratch and typing it into the computer).

You can still get caught out though, even in these days of YouTube, I spent an inordanent amount of time learning "Romeo & Juliet" in standard tuning, played it for years before discovering MK player it in (IIRC) Open G..... :oops:

Oh! IIRC the piano copies I bought were chords and fills to accompany a singer(s)
None of us could read the dots but we could play the chords (some of them!) Trouble was the copy was almost always in a key like Eflat that is wimpish on guitar and the singer could not manage anyway.

It therefore fell to me, the bass player and the only one with a smattering of school notation to transcribe them into a singable key. I did this by simply shifting Eflat say to G and all the other chords pro-rata. I was probably being too simplistic but the punters never noticed! Other, similar lacks of chops? Could never play Maccer's bass lines to All My Lovin AND sing so that was a busk!

My son, who has been to 'yoonivrersity' told me that chords often don't matter too much so long as things get 'resolved'?

BTW The Searcher's Needles & Pins drove us mad! After the second chorus the singer (who learned by ear) was all over the shop. Took us weeks before we found out there were two key shifts in the song! NOT in the piano copy tho'but.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11504
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: accurate chord charts

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 23, 2020 12:04 pm

ef37a wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
ef37a wrote:When I was in a 'group' in the sixties as soon as the latest Beatles or other Liverpool band's hit came out I was down to the music shop in town to buy the 'piano copy'. Are they not published any more?

Dave.

[fake Yorkshire accent]Luxury! when I were a lad we 'ad to make our own piano copies[/fake Yorkshire accent]

Oh! IIRC the piano copies I bought were chords and fills to accompany a singer(s)

Yes, my bad, you are right they were accompaniment arrangements. Sort of the 50's/60's equivalent of Karaoke tracks......

None of us could read the dots but we could play the chords (some of them!) Trouble was the copy was almost always in a key like Eflat that is wimpish on guitar and the singer could not manage anyway.

It therefore fell to me, the bass player and the only one with a smattering of school notation to transcribe them into a singable key. I did this by simply shifting Eflat say to G and all the other chords pro-rata. I was probably being too simplistic but the punters never noticed! Other, similar lacks of chops? Could never play Maccer's bass lines to All My Lovin AND sing so that was a busk!

My son, who has been to 'yoonivrersity' told me that chords often don't matter too much so long as things get 'resolved'?

BTW The Searcher's Needles & Pins drove us mad! After the second chorus the singer (who learned by ear) was all over the shop. Took us weeks before we found out there were two key shifts in the song! NOT in the piano copy tho'but.

Dave.

The Eb/Bb thing was so that horn players were not in 'difficult' keys, like you say, pigs to play on guitar (well they were back then, these days I'd just call it Jazz) and rarely the original key making any riff with open strings completely unplayable.

I can remember learning a Beatles tune and 'correcting' a chord or odd length bar :oops: (say a ¾ bar in a 4/4 tune)
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12237
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........