You are here

My first song, "Something to Believe"

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Re: My first song, "Something to Believe"

Postby anna-marie music » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:17 am

RichardT wrote:For a first song this is very good.

Thank you! :)

RichardT wrote:One thing I found disconcerting was the long gap between the first and second lines of the lyric. That’s unusual. If it’s an effect you deliberately chose, then that’s fine, but it did leave me wondering when the next line was going to arrive.

Yes I did intend for there to be a slight pause between the first and second lines of the first verse :) It also occurs in the second verse, although I'm not sure if it's very noticeable at that point?
anna-marie music
Poster
I've always had a passion for music. Influenced by the likes of Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson, and Mandy Moore; my music style is alternative pop based with a little hint of country.

Postby artzmusic » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Well done!!! You are brave to post your first song! Songwriters often go through about a hundred songs and by then are seasoned from all the criticisms before coming up with a winner they'll post.

Great lyrical content. For a demo the guitar tuning can be overlooked. It gives us a good vision of what the song could be even then.

That long pause that's mentioned could be extremely useful. Imagine a repeat of the first line but maybe in a lo-fi filter and different cadence that coincides with the chord change. It would add powerful weight to that line and set up the second line perfectly.

The nice thing is that you will get the attention of others in the biz and can collaborate further. Fred Foster told us in studio "Good songs are written. Great songs are rewritten!" Humbling but true. I enjoyed your project. There will be many more I'm sure.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby anna-marie music » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:42 pm

artzmusic wrote:Well done!!! You are brave to post your first song! Songwriters often go through about a hundred songs and by then are seasoned from all the criticisms before coming up with a winner they'll post.

Great lyrical content. For a demo the guitar tuning can be overlooked. It gives us a good vision of what the song could be even then.

That long pause that's mentioned could be extremely useful. Imagine a repeat of the first line but maybe in a lo-fi filter and different cadence that coincides with the chord change. It would add powerful weight to that line and set up the second line perfectly.

The nice thing is that you will get the attention of others in the biz and can collaborate further. Fred Foster told us in studio "Good songs are written. Great songs are rewritten!" Humbling but true. I enjoyed your project. There will be many more I'm sure.

Rick

Thank you so much, Rick! So happy that you love the song! :)
anna-marie music
Poster
I've always had a passion for music. Influenced by the likes of Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson, and Mandy Moore; my music style is alternative pop based with a little hint of country.

Postby SetlistR » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am

Thank you for the song. We think that it sounds really good! :clap: Keep up the good work.
SetlistR
SetlistR - Create lyrics and setlists on your computer, tablet or phone.
Create an account for free on: https://setlistr.app

Postby anna-marie music » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:18 am

SetlistR wrote:Thank you for the song. We think that it sounds really good! :clap: Keep up the good work.

Thank you!!!
anna-marie music
Poster

Previous