You are here

My new song "How Far We've Come"

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

My new song "How Far We've Come"

Postby anna-marie music » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:40 pm

Hey everyone, I just released my new single, "How Far We've Come." I wrote this song about a personal experience in my family a few years ago... I could write a whole essay about the story behind it! But in a nutshell: it's basically about how when things feel like they're falling apart left-right-and-center, we can always figure out a way through it with a little perseverance. Hope you like it! https://anna-marie.bandcamp.com/track/how-far-weve-come
anna-marie music
Poster
I've always had a passion for music. Influenced by the likes of Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson, and Mandy Moore; my music style is alternative pop based with a little hint of country.

Re: My new song "How Far We've Come"

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 pm

I liked it - well done! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:32 pm

So did I - well done Anna-Marie!

Lovely sentiments too.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby anna-marie music » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 pm

desmond wrote:I liked it - well done! :thumbup:

Thank you!!!
anna-marie music
Poster
I've always had a passion for music. Influenced by the likes of Michelle Branch, Kelly Clarkson, and Mandy Moore; my music style is alternative pop based with a little hint of country.

Postby anna-marie music » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Martin Walker wrote:So did I - well done Anna-Marie!

Lovely sentiments too.

Martin

Thank you :)
anna-marie music
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:49 am

Very polished piece of work! There are a couple of minor things that I could critique if I was feeling picky but as it's already released that seems a bit late. :)
Good stuff. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Alba » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:54 am

tbh, its not really my cup of tea, but i feel that's actually because of the polish and i'm not sure that the production suits your voice and your look.

If i look at the pic on your bandcamp page i get a vibe of a fun person who loves to play and has something to say, enjoying life.

But when i listen to the track i hear something more controlled and contrived and the two don't really sit together too well - for me.

No lack of talent though, and no insult intended to the work or the the people who have done the work and If that's what your aiming for then you've done a good job.

But i would really love to hear something you love playing that you've just banged out in front of a mic, just you and the guitar, no click, no angel dust, just the raw you.

Keep going though and you'll find your voice and it will all fall into place.

Good luck.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby anna-marie music » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:05 pm

Alba wrote:tbh, its not really my cup of tea, but i feel that's actually because of the polish and i'm not sure that the production suits your voice and your look.

If i look at the pic on your bandcamp page i get a vibe of a fun person who loves to play and has something to say, enjoying life.

But when i listen to the track i hear something more controlled and contrived and the two don't really sit together too well - for me.

No lack of talent though, and no insult intended to the work or the the people who have done the work and If that's what your aiming for then you've done a good job.

But i would really love to hear something you love playing that you've just banged out in front of a mic, just you and the guitar, no click, no angel dust, just the raw you.

Keep going though and you'll find your voice and it will all fall into place.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! This is the second time I've worked with a co-producer, while I slowly learn my way around producing my own songs using Ableton :) The next song I release will be a more stripped-back acoustic version.
anna-marie music
Poster

Postby anna-marie music » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:06 pm

blinddrew wrote:Very polished piece of work! There are a couple of minor things that I could critique if I was feeling picky but as it's already released that seems a bit late. :)
Good stuff. :thumbup:

Thank you!!! Honestly I wouldn't mind if you shared those minor critiques, so I can keep them in mind for my next song :) This is only my second song I've released (and third song I've written), so I'm open to constructive feedback!
anna-marie music
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Ok then, brain dump as I listen through it again:
The opening and closing electric guitar could do with a bit of ducking from the vocal, they're just fighting each other a bit.
Vocals could do with a little more de-essing for my tastes.
Acoustic guitar sounds a bit too like a DI to me. Acoustics can be difficult to record in any less-than perfect environments but it can be worth blending a bit of mic signal in as well to give it a bit less of that piezo sound.
When the acoustic hits the heavy strumming at 1:18 it's very heavily high-passed, I'd be tempted to give it a bit more bottom end until the rest of the arrangement kicks in at 1:33.
The build a about 2:13 seems a bit gutless. I think it's because the overall loudness is high before it kicks in so there's nowhere for it to go.
The electric guitars are very fizzy when they kick in, a little less heavy on the high pass would give this section a bit more weight - you should be able to get away with it without too much mud as they're wide panned and the rest of the action is pretty central. And I'd suggest just a little less distortion overall. I generally find it best to record electric guitars with less distortion/overdrive than you would use in a live setting as a) often you find you don't need it, and b) it's easy to add in the mix but you can't take it away.
Yep, and I'd definitely be ducking that electric at the end, it's over-powering the vocal.

Like Alba I'd like to hear a really stripped back production as well, I reckon that would be right up my street. :)

This is all just my take on things naturally, and I'm certainly no expert, feel free to ignore as you see fit! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby anna-marie music » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:09 pm

blinddrew wrote:Ok then, brain dump as I listen through it again:
The opening and closing electric guitar could do with a bit of ducking from the vocal, they're just fighting each other a bit.
Vocals could do with a little more de-essing for my tastes.
Acoustic guitar sounds a bit too like a DI to me. Acoustics can be difficult to record in any less-than perfect environments but it can be worth blending a bit of mic signal in as well to give it a bit less of that piezo sound.
When the acoustic hits the heavy strumming at 1:18 it's very heavily high-passed, I'd be tempted to give it a bit more bottom end until the rest of the arrangement kicks in at 1:33.
The build a about 2:13 seems a bit gutless. I think it's because the overall loudness is high before it kicks in so there's nowhere for it to go.
The electric guitars are very fizzy when they kick in, a little less heavy on the high pass would give this section a bit more weight - you should be able to get away with it without too much mud as they're wide panned and the rest of the action is pretty central. And I'd suggest just a little less distortion overall. I generally find it best to record electric guitars with less distortion/overdrive than you would use in a live setting as a) often you find you don't need it, and b) it's easy to add in the mix but you can't take it away.
Yep, and I'd definitely be ducking that electric at the end, it's over-powering the vocal.

Like Alba I'd like to hear a really stripped back production as well, I reckon that would be right up my street. :)

This is all just my take on things naturally, and I'm certainly no expert, feel free to ignore as you see fit! :)

Thank you so much for the critique :)

One thing I should probably mention, though, is that I only played the opening and closing guitar parts (the "electric guitar" you mentioned-- which is actually a Taylor acoustic! For some reason, it ended up sounding like an electric in this song!). The remaining 90% of the guitar throughout the song was software-generated samples... so I don't know if my co-producer applied any kind of effects to those, etc.

blinddrew wrote:Acoustic guitar sounds a bit too like a DI to me. Acoustics can be difficult to record in any less-than perfect environments but it can be worth blending a bit of mic signal in as well to give it a bit less of that piezo sound.

For acoustic guitar, would you typically recommend recording with a mic vs recording DI? In the past, I've recorded my guitar tracks DI using a Focusrite interface, but have recently just started experimenting with mic recording.
anna-marie music
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:47 pm

Firstly I shall refer you to the disclaimer in my signature... ;)

Well, there's DIs and there's DIs... ;) Some of them sound pretty close to an actual acoustic guitar, some of them sound like a goose with a speech impediment.
But in general a mic'd sound is going to trump a DI output 9 times out of 10 IF you've got a half-decent sounding room and you spend a bit of time working out the best position for the instrument and the mic in that room.
A 'bit of time' can be a rough measure though, it's taken me years (and a new room!) to actually get a guitar sound I'm really happy with. But that having been said, most of the stuff I wasn't really happy with was still better than the DI sound - and my DI sound wasn't bad. The more exposed the guitar sound is in the song, the more you'll probably be wanting a decent mic'd sound.
What can work effectively is taking both a DI and mic recording and blending them to get the definition of the DI but with a bit of air and atmosphere from the mic.
Experimentation is going to be key because so much of it will depend on your playing style, the room, the guitar, the mic position, the mic itself... etc. etc. etc.

So yeah, long story short, spend some time working out how to get the best recorded sound within your constraints and it'll probably trump any DI sound. But capture a copy of that as well. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Can't say anything about the technicalities, but I very much enjoyed this.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby anna-marie music » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Folderol wrote:Can't say anything about the technicalities, but I very much enjoyed this.

Thank you!
anna-marie music
Poster

Postby anna-marie music » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Alba wrote:But i would really love to hear something you love playing that you've just banged out in front of a mic, just you and the guitar, no click, no angel dust, just the raw you.

I have a feeling you'll love my newest song that I just posted :)
anna-marie music
Poster