You are here

Looking for feedback on a game music track

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Looking for feedback on a game music track

Postby conkerzzz » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi, I've made a game music track, but do you think it's worth putting in my reel or should I redo it with more care paid to theory? Are there any pain points that stick out to you? I'm fairly new.
conkerzzz
New here

Re: Looking for feedback on a game music track

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:46 pm

Hi conkerzzz, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

This is a nicely constructed piece, and I can hear the game mood you're hoping for, but to me sounds suspiciously like something created using an Amiga Tracker program, with a limited number of available sample channels, which inevitably results in a slightly 'bitty' sound set of separate elements, rather than the orchestral mix you are presumably hoping for.

All the notes are there, yet without more expression during the performance (crescendos, diminuendos. rallentandos and the like) it will always sound like someone playing parts on a keyboard.

The overall sound is also rather dry and anaemic. Although you have a little stereo width there, and some reverb, there's not enough to 'glue' the sounds together into an ensemble, and the end result would be a lot more impressive if you spread out the sounds as they would be in an orchestral context.

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby conkerzzz » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:30 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi conkerzzz, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

This is a nicely constructed piece, and I can hear the game mood you're hoping for, but to me sounds suspiciously like something created using an Amiga Tracker program, with a limited number of available sample channels, which inevitably results in a slightly 'bitty' sound set of separate elements, rather than the orchestral mix you are presumably hoping for.

All the notes are there, yet without more expression during the performance (crescendos, diminuendos. rallentandos and the like) it will always sound like someone playing parts on a keyboard.

The overall sound is also rather dry and anaemic. Although you have a little stereo width there, and some reverb, there's not enough to 'glue' the sounds together into an ensemble, and the end result would be a lot more impressive if you spread out the sounds as they would be in an orchestral context.

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Martin
Wow thanks so much for taking a listen! I'm glad it's not a total disaster and that the mood comes across. So interesting that you mention limited number of sample channels and "bitty" sound as the inspiration came from Nintendo 64 games such as Goldeneye 007, so I take it as a compliment, haha. I believe those systems were rather limited and didn't sound like an orchestra but the fakeness charmed me. In the future I might do two versions, one with proper orchestral samples and an "N64-version"!
I will take on board your valuable comments, much appreciated. I think if that I went for a proper orchestral version I could do a better job at using reverb, stereo spread and the expression techniques you mentioned to glue it. I also have some more ideas in my head for "melodies behind melodies" that I'll try to enter into the sequencer, the hardest part!
conkerzzz
New here

Postby CS70 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Yeah, straight out of the early 90s! I can almost see the largish pixels and the attempts at antialiasing on a limited VGA palette. All of which back the felt awesome.

Well done :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby conkerzzz » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:11 pm

CS70 wrote:Yeah, straight out of the early 90s! I can almost see the largish pixels and the attempts at antialiasing on a limited VGA palette. All of which back the felt awesome.

Well done :)
I'm glad it's in the ballpark. The 90's it is! I must say the composition process was a bit difficult for me as a noob. I suspect it was because I didn't decide on a key, so I "swinged it" some times. I think next time I will try to be more informed of the key center and the diatonic material I have to work with...
conkerzzz
New here

Postby shiihs » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:55 pm

conkerzzz wrote: should I redo it with more care paid to theory? Are there any pain points that stick out to you? I'm fairly new.

Congratulations with your track. I actually liked it a lot (disclaimer: I heard it on crappy laptop speakers, so I only heard the "gist" of it, but what I heard sounded convincing). Don't worry too much about following theory. Theory is there to help you find solutions if yet get stuck, and to describe how other composers wrote their stuff. Most composers learn theory so they are better prepared to systematically violating it ;)
shiihs
New here
--

yamaha gt-2; sequential rev2; integra-7; casio wk-7600; supercollider; yoshimi; lilypond; musescore; ardour; kdenlive

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT31Un8gBhVQo1wXOy8Bpng