You are here

technicalities feedback anyone

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

technicalities feedback anyone

Postby hooty2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi all,
I appreciate this is not the most engaging 13 minutes of anyone's life..
however,
anyone wishing to dip in here & there and maybe offer some technical feedback &/or words arrangement feedback., would be appreciated.
It works best on headphones or a quiet space.
The piece (mine all do), comes from an art/music therapy background & it was a whimsical suggestion to get feedback from the 'real world'.
This is the latest.
Nb: Covid put a brake on my singing lessons but hopefully that can resume soon.

cheers
https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/r ... -rx-24-bit
hooty2
Regular

Re: technicalities feedback anyone

Postby Rollo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Hi

good work

My opinion

1. Try to remove the noisy sounds from your Voice record (use a Gate or rework the Wav Recording File)

2. Change the Bright Echo to a Smaller Room. I believe it sounds more intimate

3. Maybe double the Voice
Rollo

Postby hooty2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Cheers Rollo.
I'll play with those ideas
hooty2
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:10 pm

I'll have a proper listen later but just wanted to say for now that I really enjoyed that. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby hooty2 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:57 pm

Rollo,
your thoughts put the Izotope doubler in my path..
simple and fun.
cheers again
hooty2
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Having another listen now, just on laptop and headphones unfortunately, but a couple of thoughts as I listen:
- The guitar sound is lovely and clear but it doesn't gel with the vocal sound as well as it could to my ears - they don't sound like they're in the same place and the guitar sounds too close for the rest of the soundscape.
- Feels like there's space for a bit more in the bottom octave if you wanted to exploit it.
- There is some beautiful poetry in there.
- I really like some of the slightly more aggressive accents around the 6:40+ mark.

It really is a lovely piece.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:16 pm

That guitar and backing pad make for a gorgeous sound and had me hooked from the start.

I think there is a hint too much reverb on the vocal - you may find using a bit of delay worth a try instead.

I initially thought there was a bit of a disjoint between the guitar part and the backing chords, almost as if they were both just doing their own thing, but half way through it I simply don't care any more because it's a lovely effect.

The only real criticism I have is that the piece is a little repetitive - I would have liked some more variation in the chords and some vocal melodic progression.

That said, it's very haunting and evocative. It also smacks of integrity and I love that.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby hooty2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:01 am

i'm very appreciative of the comments.
It's a strange thing that it is only after i posted, the glaring little glitches i'd sidelined became more prominent in my mind!
Without burdening anyone with the tumult of my own inner psyche, i found the comments on things being in a different space very telling. The whole thing came about as a response to ongoing work with a state of dissociation.....getting halfway and then feeling "what the hell", made me smile.
I'm encouraged by your thoughts to now go deeper into the process. I'm still slightly amazed that i can even get this far into recording my own writings etc.
i'll be working with your suggestions.
Thank you
hooty2
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:50 am

Peaceful. Deep. Nice. Pleasant. Stress-reducer. Easy. Flowing.

Thank you for that. Really took the edge off. Enjoyed my time in there. I am a better man for it.

Sort of Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, meets Pink Floyd but in a peaceful place.

Sound-wise, if I were to mix it I would want to change the reverb on the voice especially, but the rest too.

What we have is sort of reverb, repetitive, unnatural sounding.
I would like something, natural, complex, interesting, musical, intimate but large

This is such sparse music that much of the sound that hits the brain IS the reverb.

If you do a lot of this consider investing in some high end reverbs. It can make or break the believability.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:59 am

I like this just as it stands, this type of music is very individual, the options can be infinite and a matter of personal opinion/preference, I accept it for what it is, and there are some rough edges, but they should be left alone IMO.
If I mixed this I would have applied blanket effects on the whole mix, but that’s just another opinion, and another side road to get lost on.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster