You are here

Is useful re arrange a music?

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Is useful re arrange a music?

Postby Adam Artman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Hello to All and i hope you have great day/night.
i wanna know is useful remaking/re arrenging a music?
sorry for my language if it's not good enaugh.
I wanna know how it improve my skills?have it effect on improving my skills in music productin?
thanks
Adam Artman
Poster

Re: Is useful re arrange a music?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:45 pm

Anybody recording a song they haven't written (i.e. doing a cover version) has a choice to make. At one end of the spectrum is the tribute band who want to make an exact copy of the original band's version, at the other are those who make a tune barely recognisable. In the middle fall the 'producers' who do 're-mixes' and performers who try to make songs their own without losing the feel of the original.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Recreating, or covering, someone else's work can be good practice because you don't have to worry about songwriting, only performing and production.

On the other hand, you are of course limited in what you can do with the result. But for practice, it is a useful exercise.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:34 pm

Yes, re-creating an existing piece of music is a very useful exercise. You'll improve both your technical and musical skills by working out exactly how the piece is constructed, and how to reproduce it.

Even better if it's a piece outside the style of music you normally make.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Adam Artman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:48 am

thank you every body.
yeah My goal for doing it is only practice and improve my skills not release it.
Adam Artman
Poster

Postby onairmix » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:19 am

Re-arrangement is a very useful and driven practice, and re-harmonization is the first skill of any good arranger. For authors/producers/arrangers re-harmonization become a focus point in this case, because harmony is much more complex than the music form and concept (but chords are directly correlated with the concept and idea of music composition).

At least one musical instrument should be mastered well to practice in it productively.
onairmix

Postby Adam Artman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm

onairmix wrote:Re-arrangement is a very useful and driven practice, and re-harmonization is the first skill of any good arranger. For authors/producers/arrangers re-harmonization become a focus point in this case, because harmony is much more complex than the music form and concept (but chords are directly correlated with the concept and idea of music composition).

At least one musical instrument should be mastered well to practice in it productively.
i don't forget your help my freind.thank you so much
Adam Artman
Poster

Postby Adam Artman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello to all...
another question is in my mind...
what I learn with re-arrange a music?
how can improve my music production skills with it?
you know mean is how should I practice it and what things should I attention to?
Adam Artman
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:16 pm

I think there's two different approaches you can take here depending on what you're trying to learn.
If you have a look at this thread here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 16&t=26779 you can find a host of multitracks to play with.
From there you can either try and rebuild the mix as it was originally done (similar to Sam's 'tribute band' approach) or you can take the same tracks and try and build into into something with a very different feel.
The first approach will probably teach you technical aspects of mixing, the second might teach you compositional angles.
The thing I would ask though is, there are only so many hours in the day, would you rather be remixing someone else's work, or writing your own? :?:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Adam Artman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:51 pm

blinddrew wrote:I think there's two different approaches you can take here depending on what you're trying to learn.
If you have a look at this thread here: https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 16&t=26779 you can find a host of multitracks to play with.
From there you can either try and rebuild the mix as it was originally done (similar to Sam's 'tribute band' approach) or you can take the same tracks and try and build into into something with a very different feel.
The first approach will probably teach you technical aspects of mixing, the second might teach you compositional angles.
The thing I would ask though is, there are only so many hours in the day, would you rather be remixing someone else's work, or writing your own? :?:
thank you so much man...
actually i don't know which is useful for me.remixing someone else's work, or writing my own,really i don't know.what do you think?
of curse i love write my music but I can't write song and i don't have song writer near my self.
i think i have to do Re-arrange and practice.what is your opinion?
Adam Artman
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Seriously - write a song. Record it. Mix it and finish it. Enjoy the process, and realise that it will take time before you start to develop your skills. Your early creations will probably not be very good. That's ok - that's how *everybody* starts. Pretty much every musician fell in love with music at some point in their life, and just started making it, picking up an instrument, writing songs - just *doing* it.

If you enjoy it and invest time and effort, then after some years, the stuff you make should be a lot better (you will still have a long way to go of course - all these skills are life skills). If you worry too much about "what should I write about?", "my english isn't good" etc, I'd suggest to not overthink it. *Plenty* of music is made without vocals, and plenty of music/songs are made with a *very* limited vocabulary. I'm pretty sure I could write a (bad) song in, say french, if I had to.

It won't do you much good to just ask random people "what do you think should I do?" - the answer is, you should enjoy making music, and just *do* it. You need to develop your basic skills first and foremost, and you can only do that by getting on with it and doing it, analysing the results, comparing your stuff with the stuff you're aiming for, getting frustrated, and trying to do better. It's a journey, not a destination - enjoy the ride.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 pm

All of this! ^^^ :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:32 pm

The other guys have covered it really, rearranging other peoples music is about being creative, my approach would be to try to make it as different as possible from the original, changing genre, going from a major to minor key or vice versa and other such things, see how close you can get to it being unrecognisable while retains the hook or core of the tune. You mixing skills are a separate issue, to a point at least.

My #2 sons music teacher said to him the he was about 15 "music is a wonderful hobby but a lousy career". If you can turn your wonderful hobby into a half decent career you are doing better than most*.

* Said music teacher moved jobs and his assistant took over the head of department role a year later, he had said to Dan "but if you want it just do it"***. Life is about happiness, and many don't ever achieve it at a fundamental level but be assured it ain't about money (at least not once you have a minimum of 'enough'...) or fame. Sometimes you have to set your expectations to match your ambition/income and be happy with what you have**.

** Somebody once said "money can't buy happiness but at least you can be miserable in comfort"... I think I;drather be happy TBH.

*** Dan and his wife are currently second and fourth horns in the Suzhou Symphony Orchestra in China so they have done ok.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........