You are here

Ludovico Einaudi ???

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Ludovico Einaudi ???

Postby pianoworldstage » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi

Before i begin, this post is not intended to offend any budding fans but just simply to express one's opinion, at the same time I'm aware their will be those in support of this post and those who are not, the post is regarding the so called great maestro himself "Ludovico Einaudi" no pun intended.

I think it is fair to say that Einaudi has long been a target of criticism by people who believe he unethically markets himself as a modern day great classical composer, misleading naive listeners who don't know any better, and impeding the intellectual and artistic development of any poor sap who happens upon his music.

It's also fair to say it's common knowledge when mentioning Einaudi to othere fellow musicians about how they perceive his music, and the common response is that his music is bland repetitive inarticulate, lacks any meaningful substance virtuosity and harmonic conservatism.

Mainstream critics have been generally less than complimentary about his music and the performer, describing it variously as unmemorable and humourless soulless unpalatably synthetic and cheap, and is clearly an overrated accomplished musician than he is given credit for.

So what are we to make of this so called great contemporary minimalist who's music is regularly criticized by people for being bland unchallenging unsophisticated or simply bad.

In contrast it would also be fair to say his music is pleasant as much as ambient background music can be.. but that's it.

So how did this man reach such musical success? with such an insipid mediocre talent.

Many have attested after listening to Einaudi in concert they couldn’t wait for it to end. Bland, stupefyingly uninspired, uninventive, shallow, witless, humourless drivel.

In despite of Einaudis ridiculously overrated musical success, it can only be perceived by the more serious musical artist, that Ludovico Einaudi is no more then a new age ambient minimalist, who has superseded to a status which far surpasses his mediocre talent.

A cheap branded composer, who attracts a cheap branded audience.

This critique has been to express the opinion and merits of Ludvico Einaudis artistic works and nothing more, in contrast i wish the man well.

Comments welcome.
pianoworldstage
Regular

Re: Ludovico Einaudi ???

Postby RichardT » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Actually, I quite like it! :lol:
RichardT
Regular

Postby GilesAnt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:38 am

If you don't like his music just say so - not quite sure what this post is aimed at.
GilesAnt
Regular

Postby IAA » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:52 am

Your analysis could be applied to many musicians and performers who have attained popularity and commercial success. Fortunately we can choose who we listen to. In the classical world (I’m a classically trained pianist) , there are many who have more talent and virtuosity than Einaudi, but business is business and that’s what this is. I recall some sniffy reviews of Lang Lang when he started which were critical of his virtuosity at the expense of interpretation. You can’t win. :headbang:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:03 am

pianoworldstage wrote:So how did this man reach such musical success? with such an insipid mediocre talent.

Because it's show business. The talent is in being popular, and obviously the guy (who I don't really know) has quite a lot of it.

As of mediocrity or not in musical terms, you seem to think it's an objective evaluation, which is absurd.

And as of critics, I always wonder how they reach success and how they exist at all.
It's already bad enough to make a living by pandering to popularity... to make a living by talking about people who makes a living by pandering to popularity, without even being popular... it's gotta be one the saddest thing in the world. But it pays the bills, I suppose.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby BJG145 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 am

I agree, among the panoply of serious modern classical composers I find Richard Clayderman has far more insight and sophistication in his approach.

https://youtu.be/k_on7zgBPUA?t=1409
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Senior » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 am

BJG145 wrote:I agree, among the panoply of serious modern classical composers I find Richard Clayderman has far more insight and sophistication in his approach.

https://youtu.be/k_on7zgBPUA?t=1409

No knocking the divine genius of The Clayderman, but how can you forget Andre Rieu?

:)

The main thing I'd like to add, though, is that you're far from alone in pondering this question, pianoworldstage. My co-host and I on the Project Studio Tea Break podcast have been having a long-running grudge match along those same lines. Which, of course, I'm currently winning... :) It all started with our Einaudi Grudge Match and has continued as a point of contention from Episode 5 ("Masking-tape snobbery, fake artists, and Creme Egg evolution.") right up to this month's Episode 30 ("The Philuminati, Cadbury's gorilla, and Ozzy's anechoic bat-trap").

Suffice to say that neither of us have yet conceded to the other...

:round1:
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Postby Romy Schmidt » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:34 am

"In despite of Einaudis ridiculously overrated musical success, it can only be perceived by the more serious musical artist, that Ludovico Einaudi is no more then a new age ambient minimalist, who has superseded to a status which far surpasses his mediocre talent."

I agree. But it's not only Einaudi who is successful with easy listening music. Most people prefer simple music. Why do you think popular music is called popular? People just want to relax, to dream. Let them have their dope.
Romy Schmidt
New here
This is not a signature.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am

A lot of people just want something "nice" to listen to, it’s honest, no nonsense, comfort food, nothing wrong with that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby pianoworldstage » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Thank you for your controversial comments, interesting.
pianoworldstage
Regular

Postby shiihs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 pm

pianoworldstage wrote:Hi
a new age ambient minimalist, who has superseded to a status which far surpasses his mediocre talent.
Comments welcome.

The man obviously has a bigger than average talent: not in music making, but in selling himself. I'm not a big fan of his music. What I've heard of it (which is not all that much to be honest) was very predictable leaving not much to be discovered or to be amazed about. I generally prefer something a bit more adventurous, but to each their own.
shiihs
Poster
--
yamaha gt-2; sequential rev2; integra-7; casio wk-7600; supercollider; yoshimi; lilypond; musescore; ardour; kdenlive
https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT31Un8gBhVQo1wXOy8Bpng

Postby DarthPaul » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:29 pm

He makes beautiful music that many people love.

There's nothing wrong with that!
DarthPaul
Poster

Postby VOLOVIA » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:49 am

I personally find his music bland and predictable. Having said that, not everyone grew up listening to Weather Report or Bacharach as some of us did. Or prog-rock pieces with multiple time signatures bathed in church organ and sitar guitars...
For most people, especially since the internet-Spotify-age, video games, films-on-demand etc. music has been relegated firmly to the background, to the -nice noises-. I know people who switch happily between -ambient- noises (the sea, a forest) to some Beyonce or Simon and Garfunkel. Not many people want to 'get into', or invest time into a Genesis 15 mins journey through virtuoso playing and 8-string bass solos...

Their loss, of course, but "art" is just a form of entertainment and emotion. My Duke Ellington is not better than your Trap. It's just... showbiz. Personal showbiz.
VOLOVIA
Regular
VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 am

VOLOVIA wrote:I personally find his music bland and predictable. Having said that, not everyone grew up listening to Weather Report or Bacharach as some of us did. Or prog-rock pieces with multiple time signatures bathed in church organ and sitar guitars...
For most people, especially since the internet-Spotify-age, video games, films-on-demand etc. music has been relegated firmly to the background, to the -nice noises-. I know people who switch happily between -ambient- noises (the sea, a forest) to some Beyonce or Simon and Garfunkel. Not many people want to 'get into', or invest time into a Genesis 15 mins journey through virtuoso playing and 8-string bass solos...

Their loss, of course, but "art" is just a form of entertainment and emotion. My Duke Ellington is not better than your Trap. It's just... showbiz. Personal showbiz.

Everything has its uses, this could sound fabulous recorded into my cassette portastudio, slowed right down, and put through my Big Sky on the Choral setting.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby DarthPaul » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:01 am

VOLOVIA wrote:I personally find his music bland and predictable. Having said that, not everyone grew up listening to Weather Report or Bacharach as some of us did. Or prog-rock pieces with multiple time signatures bathed in church organ and sitar guitars....

I did, but i still have space to appreciate the beauty in music that's elegant and minimal.

There's room for every taste in music.
DarthPaul
Poster

Next