You are here

Examples of Electronic "rock" music.

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Examples of Electronic "rock" music.

Postby Handlestash » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:41 pm

Good day to you,

Can anyone recommend a band or composer doing what would be considered rock music using synths rather than guitars? Up tempo stuff if possible.

Good day to you.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
www.milkharbour.com

Re: Examples of Electronic "rock" music.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Depends on your definition of' Rock Music' but The Nice and ELP might fill the bill as Hammond organ led prog rock bands.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Handlestash » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Depends on your definition of' Rock Music' but The Nice and ELP might fill the bill as Hammond organ led prog rock bands.

Imagine early Sabbath but with synths. All synths.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
www.milkharbour.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:57 pm

I thought that might be what you had in mind but I cannot think of anything like that...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BigRedX » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Young Gods?
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby manwilde » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Depeche Mode. Not like early Sabbath, and you'll hear the odd guitar here and there, but sounds quite rock'n'roll to me.
manwilde
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:31 pm

70s/80s Jan Hammer? Even his Miami Vice theme is pretty rocky and all synth.

Otherwise you’re probably mainly looking at more proggy stuff than hard rock/metal.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Did someone call? :D

Synth rock/prog is what I do.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Handlestash » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:26 pm

The Elf wrote:Did someone call? :D

Of course! I have a clutch of songs I wrote messing around with some mates in a previous life. They're yer standard rifftastic three piece rock. Except that I'm not really in that head space any more and would like to see if I can electrocute them.
Would you be inclined to use an arpeggiator for riffs or play them note by note? Would you go real drum samples or drum machine patches? I suppose I'm just hoping to hear what other people might have done with the genre.
Depeche use guitars when they need guitars, Young Gods are the same. Any thoughts? Anything you've done yourself?
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
www.milkharbour.com

Postby BigRedX » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:42 pm

What you are probably looking for is something similar to a band I was in during the 80s.

We started off as a conventional all-synth band, although much of the music was written on guitar or bass that I would then re-create as synth parts, but as time progressed the music got even harder-edged and heavier.

By then end all the main synth parts were played on keytars and were going through distortion pedals, the backing being provided by slightly more conventional sequencer and drum machines.

There are plans afoot to release our various demos as a digital "album", but I haven't go around to transferring all the cassette "masters" into the computer yet. In the meantime you'll have to make do with this photo from a 1986 gig...

BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Handlestash » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm

BigRedX wrote:

Just booked myself a hair appointment.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
www.milkharbour.com

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Handlestash wrote:
The Elf wrote:Did someone call? :D

Would you be inclined to use an arpeggiator for riffs or play them note by note?
I'm not much of a fan of auto arpeggiators, TBH. They are usually more trouble than they're worth IMHO. They are never playing the right note at the right time, and I can invariably hear the disjoints in the chord changes. I'd rather play them for myself.

The approach I take is to pretty much play all of the parts for myself, with a bit of editing to tidy it up. I also like to keep the human element in there and not clean everything up.

Handlestash wrote:Would you go real drum samples or drum machine patches?
I use both, depending on context. Simmons also. I spend a lot of time programming my sampled drums. I'm always trying to keep the drum parts close to what a real drummer would be capable of, and ensuring that it keeps moving and changing to respond to the rest of the instruments. Just programming in the nuances to a hi-hat, for example, can take hours, ensuring it half-opens when a roll is about to hit, or adding foot closes to choke it on cymbal hits, for example. Velocity changes are critical. The kicks, snares and toms all need to respond to the moment, cymbals too, with small 'throwaway' hits adding to the energy. All those ruffs and grace notes make a huge difference, even when they are very subtle.

When I use a 'drum machine' I typically want it to sound like a drum machine - it's a different discipline.

The thing is that I come at things from a prog background, so I enjoy lots of energy, changes in tempo, time signature and mood from one section to another - always moving and never slavishly repeating.

But most of what you would hear from me is very much centred on who I am working with. Only occasionally will I get my own way entirely! :lol:

But... there are a couple of tracks coming up on the new release in 2021 that are very much where my heart is. And discussions have already begun about taking that approach further for a subsequent album...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Murray B » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:51 pm

I would suggest Pendulum

Kicking dance electronica born of heavy metal. Might not be what you are after though :-)

Edit - having just noticed the reference to Sabbath earlier probably not what you are looking for, but might be worth a listen if you've never heard them.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Handlestash » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:50 pm

Murray B wrote:I would suggest Pendulum

Kicking dance electronica born of heavy metal. Might not be what you are after though :-)

Edit - having just noticed the reference to Sabbath earlier probably not what you are looking for, but might be worth a listen if you've never heard them.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Not exactly what I'm going for but a great jumping off point. Gives me an idea of what sounds I could substitute for traditional rock instrumentation. Thanks boo.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster
www.milkharbour.com

Postby Murray B » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:20 am

Excellent , glad to have helped.
Murray B
Regular

Next