You are here

That elusive album title.

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 pm

blinddrew wrote:I note down potential album titles all the time so I have a string of available ones whenever something is ready to use them.

Me too.


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 17212
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 pm

"Passing through / Oblique"
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13662
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 pm

The trouble with keeping potential album/song title lists is that you don't want to waste the best titles on work that isn't up to the title.

My best title goes back over 30 years. :headbang:

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 11285
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Agharta » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 pm

Spectral Resonance.

A Drunken Coherence.

Octaves of Days Gone By.

Zero Time Tango.

Zen Feedback Trails.
Agharta
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4338
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:00 am

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby MOF » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:12 pm

"illusory" and "elusive". :thumbup:

I’m not sure if Arpangel has picked up on this Frank, I wasn’t sure that there was such a word as ‘illusive’ but it would make a good title, problem solved, it’s no longer elusive. ;)

I have a similar problem finding a band name that hasn’t already been registered. Although it would be just me, I fancy a band name instead of just using my name. It would allow me to break up the band and go solo later on, because of musical differences. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:18 pm

MOF wrote:I have a similar problem finding a band name that hasn’t already been registered.
I keep a list of these as well, for when I inevitably get kicked out of my current band. ;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13662
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Gone To Lunch » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:18 am

"Sniff the glove"

"Break like the wind"

"Bitch school"

"Back from the dead"

"Intravenus De Milo"
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:28 am

MOF wrote:
"illusory" and "elusive". :thumbup:

I’m not sure if Arpangel has picked up on this Frank, I wasn’t sure that there was such a word as ‘illusive’ but it would make a good title, problem solved, it’s no longer elusive. ;)

I rather like 'Illusive' as a title myself!
User avatar
Eddy Deegan
Moderator
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects
 

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:31 am

zenguitar wrote:The trouble with keeping potential album/song title lists is that you don't want to waste the best titles on work that isn't up to the title.

My best title goes back over 30 years. :headbang:

Andy :beamup:

Ahhh.....titles can infer value.
David Sylvian always has great album titles "Gone To Earth" "Blemish" my favourite title.
I think I’m going to stick with "Racketeering" it’s quite Dadaist as it has nothing to do with my album, but at the same time, is strangely relevant, in my life, and in the world I left behind on my record, and I’ll hint at the overall concept in the track titles.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6827
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby RichardT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:36 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
MOF wrote:
"illusory" and "elusive". :thumbup:

I’m not sure if Arpangel has picked up on this Frank, I wasn’t sure that there was such a word as ‘illusive’ but it would make a good title, problem solved, it’s no longer elusive. ;)

I rather like 'Illusive' as a title myself!

I do too. It is actually a word meaning deceptive or illusory.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am
Location: London UK

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 am

The trouble with this album, is, that I don’t normally have a concept for any of my records, they just evolve and that’s that, the titles and track names are totally irrelevant mostly.
But this record is different, I don’t know why, but I feel I have to guide the listener every step of the way, to prepare them for this, it’s like I’m having to justify what’s going on and how it sounds.
This is totally unlike me, and it’s turning into a bit of a non-problem.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6827
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:10 pm

blinddrew wrote:
MOF wrote:I have a similar problem finding a band name that hasn’t already been registered.
I keep a list of these as well, for when I inevitably get kicked out of my current band. ;)

Some years ago, when the driving school business was quiet I became a part time postman. Walking around the empty streets gives one time to think and I made up a list of potential band names. The final tally was IIRC 435 names, many were a bit silly, some were rather good (to me at least) but sadly the list is long gone. When I formed my next band I gave the drummer and bass player (the latter being my 15 year old son) a copy of the list and said pick three or four and if any of your choices coincide that will be our name. At the next rehearsal the drummer said "they're all cr@p but that one is a bit less cr@p than the others". The band was called "The Time Trousers"

I have a theory about effective band names, there are undoubtedly some well known bands who are a little embarrassed about the name they chose when they were not well known but, for a 'not too serious' pub covers band the crucial thing is that people remember your name. One of the best ways to get this to happen is to have a silly name like "The Time Trousers" or another band I was involved in "Leg-Ends" (a name I hope to resurrect someday).
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15251
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have a theory about effective band names, there are undoubtedly some well known bands who are a little embarrassed about the name they chose when they were not well known but, for a 'not too serious' pub covers band the crucial thing is that people remember your name. One of the best ways to get this to happen is to have a silly name like "The Time Trousers" or another band I was involved in "Leg-Ends" (a name I hope to resurrect someday).
Engelbert Humperdinck didn't get where he was by staying plain old Arnold Dorsey.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 13662
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Nor did 'Reg Dwight'... :D
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15251
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:50 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Nor did 'Reg Dwight'... :D

Mind you, Tom Jones didn’t do too bad.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6827
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

PreviousNext