You are here

That elusive album title.

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

That elusive album title.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:40 am

I’ve always been pretty good at coming up with titles for my albums, but I’m having real trouble right now, I’ve got the concept to guide me, the general vibe, but I just can’t pin it down.
In the past I’ve plundered books, or all of a sudden something will pop up in my head, or from a dream, no such luck.
My CD is awaiting upload to my friends site, and this is the only thing holding me up, I always say to others who find themselves in this predicament, stop thinking about it, something will just appear, but it’s not happening, I think there are too many other things rattling around in my head to think about.
How do others cope with this? Do you compose to a "working title" that influences your music? or, like me, does the title come at the very end of the process, the final wrapping.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: That illusive album title.

Postby RichardT » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:31 am

I use the name of one of the tracks. It saves having to think of another name!

I usually end up choosing a couple of track names just before finishing the album, and I often alter a couple as well.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:53 am

RichardT wrote:I use the name of one of the tracks. It saves having to think of another name!

I usually end up choosing a couple of track names just before finishing the album, and I often alter a couple as well.

Yes, good idea, I’ve done that a few times, but I haven’t even got any track names yet!

:shocked:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Chet Leeway » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:16 am

All great artists have an untitled album.

Or, grabbing phrases from your message:

A Sudden Something
Rattling Around
The Final Wrapping
Chet Leeway
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:21 am

Chet Leeway wrote:All great artists have an untitled album.

Or, grabbing phrases from your message:

A Sudden Something
Rattling Around
The Final Wrapping

Thanks Chet! I like "The Final Wrapping" that’s a serious contender.

:D

I did have a sort of title "Racketeering" I like it as a pun on racket, but it really doesn’t suite the albums mood.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am

I note down potential album titles all the time so I have a string of available ones whenever something is ready to use them.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:08 pm

blinddrew wrote:I note down potential album titles all the time so I have a string of available ones whenever something is ready to use them.

I normally do too, but I’m stuck this time, also I think I’m stretching the definition of music just a tad too far on this one, even by my standards, which is making a title just that bit more difficult.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby FrankF » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:17 pm

John Foxx allegedly coined the word "Illuminous" for a lovely Beatles-imbued song back in the 80s. Except that he didn't! (I'm sure he knows that, by the way.) According to my dictionary, "Illuminous" has meant both "dark" and "luminous" at various times over the last 400 years.

So, "Illusive" (1679) strikes me as a spiffing album title: it resides dreamily in some kind of no-man's-land between "illusory" and "elusive". :thumbup:
FrankF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:39 pm

FrankF wrote:John Foxx allegedly coined the word "Illuminous" for a lovely Beatles-imbued song back in the 80s. Except that he didn't! (I'm sure he knows that, by the way.) According to my dictionary, "Illuminous" has meant both "dark" and "luminous" at various times over the last 400 years.

So, "Illusive" (1679) strikes me as a spiffing album title: it resides dreamily in some kind of no-man's-land between "illusory" and "elusive". :thumbup:

Frank, that’s not a million miles from what I’m thinking, this album is about leaving one life and entering another, but as we move on, among the debris of the last one, and the unknown of the new, certain familiar voices linger that remind us of our previous lives, they are still there just coming through among the chaos.
So I’m looking for something that suggests a a veil, combined with shadows of memories, difficult to describe, and I’m not a literary person to that degree.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Murray B » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:47 pm

Did you just find it?

'Shadows Of Memories' sounds like an album title to me.
Murray B
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 pm

Murray B wrote:Did you just find it?

Thanks, my partner suggested something similar, it’s good, but a bit too literal, maybe something more oblique, actually, on reflection, the word oblique could be part of it!
We’re getting there, I’m sure I’ll have a light bulb moment at some point, but this is all welcome.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:36 pm

"Obliquisk"

"Oblique Shadows"
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby FrankF » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Non-Oblique Strategies. :headbang:

Auto-Obloquy and Other Obscure Objects of Desire

Trampolines for Dreamers

Breakfast at Twilight (for all you PKD fans)

Incidental Music for the Cottingley Parade

Chimera-Oscura

A Dip Into Morpheus' Snuff Box

I Want to Touch the Ti tties of a Starlet! (thank you, Dylan Thomas)
FrankF
Regular

Postby Johnsy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:52 pm

I've always thought "Mercury Prize-Winning" would make a good album title.
Johnsy
Regular

Postby Murray B » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Murray B wrote:Did you just find it?

Thanks, my partner suggested something similar, it’s good, but a bit too literal, maybe something more oblique, actually, on reflection, the word oblique could be part of it!
We’re getting there, I’m sure I’ll have a light bulb moment at some point, but this is all welcome.

After a little thinking - more oblique and referring to a veil and shadows of memory...

How about

Blackout

Or something with these words perhaps?

Envelope
Diffuser
Refraction / Refracted
Reverb

PS No offence taken if you think these are rubbish.
Murray B
Regular

Next