You are here

Mackie ProFX16v2 effects stop working?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Mackie ProFX16v2 effects stop working?

Postby schmeet » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:28 pm

I have a ProFX16v2 that I got used but in cosmetically like-new condition. Everything seems to work perfectly on it at home. But, I've taken it out on two consecutive gigs (at different venues), and both times the effects work perfectly during soundcheck, but when we come back for the first set, no effects are heard. Powering it off and back on doesn't help, and it stays that way for the rest of the night. The sound is fine except for this one thing, and I haven't been able to reproduce the problem at home.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Thanks!
schmeet

Re: Mackie ProFX16v2 effects stop working?

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Are you using a foot switch to turn FX on & off? Or is something other that a switch getting plugged into the foot switch socket?

When the FX are not working, is the "FX Mute LED" lit?
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby schmeet » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:02 pm

No foot switches. The only things plugged in are microphones and the FOH monitors.
FX mute led was not on. We finished soundcheck, and I pushed the "break" button to mute everything. When we were ready to start I pushed "break" again, and no fx. I messed with all the send/mute/fx knobs and buttons, to no avail. All leds responded as they should, but no fx.

Could it be a problem related to the Break button?
schmeet

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 pm

schmeet wrote:Could it be a problem related to the Break button?

Not likely. The Break button simply interrupts the outputs from the main mix-bus amplifiers.

It sounds like an issue with the internal digital effects section stopping for some reason... It could be heat related if the desk is left on for a considerable time.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound