You are here

Please help...

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Please help...

Postby jamesaeddleston » Mon May 13, 2019 10:30 am

...we're running a (super) short survey about the live music space to help improve the experience for fans.

Please spare just 1-minute to complete the survey below. :thumbup:

SURVEY LINK

Thanks all! :clap:

Disclaimer: we will not share, sell, or give away your data or answers for any reason. We ask for an email address simply to restrict the survey to 1 answer per person. We also have zero commercial or monetary gain from the survey - it's genuinely to try and improve the live music experience for fans - which we think needs disrupting!
jamesaeddleston

Re: Please help...

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 pm

When you are enthusiastic about something it is easy to forget to put yourself in other people's shoes.

Asking for an email address clearly makes sense for your purposes. But it is ringing alarm bells. Just think for a moment; how would you feel if a stranger asked you to visit their site, complete a survey and leave your email address? This is the internet, home of the scammers and spammers.

I would suggest that you either re-consider taking an email address or you build trust by introducing yourself properly, telling people a GREAT deal more about your project, and generally building a relationship with the members here.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Dave B » Mon May 13, 2019 2:13 pm

So, this is just an attempt to gather email addresses. The questions are banal at best and the first thing asked for - mandatory - is an email address.

Do me a lemon!

Just for future reference, anyone filling in such forms can happily enter any email address that ends with 'example.org' or 'example.com' as these are dummy domains designed to be ignored and used for testing IT systems.

Just sayin...

Edit : I see that Zen is feeling benevolent today.. kudos to him. He's also a faster typist than I am ... ;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Dave B wrote:So, this is just an attempt to gather email addresses. The questions are banal at best and the first thing asked for - mandatory - is an email address.

Quite.

1) It accepts any email address
2) You can fill it out as many times as you want
3) The questions are, as Dave said, banal. I'll add predictable and boring too.
4) You can check both of 'I'm happy to be contacted' and 'I'm not happy to be contacted'

If this is a serious attempt at a survey it's the worst I've seen in years, and personally I've filed it in the 'e-mail address harvester' bucket.

Total waste of time (no usable or valid information was provided from me while testing it) :thumbdown:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 2:49 pm

jamesaeddleston wrote:We ask for an email address simply to restrict the survey to 1 answer per person.

In that case, why does it let you provide as many responses as you like as long as you put some garbage email address in the form?

Also, who are 'we'? That's a rhetorical question as I'm past any potential interest at this point.

:roll: :yawn:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Mon May 13, 2019 4:04 pm

If one needs email addresses, surely pastebin is a prime source? Why faff about with a survey?

Then again, every criminal I've known has worked three times as hard to be a crook as they would if they simply played straight, plus garnering all that negativity. Point being, shady people are dependent on trusting souls for their fleeting "success" and there are precious few innocents here.

Next!
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Dave B wrote:Just for future reference, anyone filling in such forms can happily enter any email address that ends with 'example.org' or 'example.com' as these are dummy domains designed to be ignored and used for testing IT systems.

Useful info Dave, I didn't know that. Also many ISPs let you generate a temp/disposable email address for one off use, useful if you need a reply.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jamesaeddleston » Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Wow, sorry chaps for any offence caused. Let me respond to your comments.

This is a Google form and as a result, gives me the option to ask for email addresses. This doesn't validate as you mentioned and therefore allows you to input any email address. This was meant to allow you to request a copy of your answers, but also for me to verify that there aren't duplicate responses. Unfortunately, Google doesn't allow restriction for multiple responses.

With regards to who "we" are. "We" is me on behalf of my company GigList Ltd - which is clearly stated at the top of the survey. GigList is a startup that has the intention of making it easier and more engaging for fans to find and discover live music. We make no money, and any costs incurred with the business are covered by me.

As stated in the survey, we will not share, sell or use your email addresses for any purpose other than de-duping the responses - unless you say that we can contact you again. I have no intention of mailing you, spamming you, or 'subscribing' you to our mailing address. If you would like to help again in the future I was proposing setting up some further questions/phone calls and possibly inviting you to a beta testing community - but again - only if you say yes to being contacted.

The questions might be banal to you, but when viewed as a sample it can be quite interesting. I am more than happy to share results of this once closed to those who said yes to follow up naturally.

In terms of allowing multiple selections on certain questions - that's my human error and apologise for that. I'm doing this survey as a one-man band trying to learn from other music fans to see if certain hypotheses that I've made are correct for a group and not just myself. I am sorry if my directness offended you, but I often find directness is the only way on the internet to get people to participate. I guess in this case, I was wrong and I thank you for your enthusiastic responses.

I am not hiding anything, nor trying to manipulate you all or gather email addresses. Anyone is welcome to email me at james@giglist.com to get more detail and as I mentioned, I'm happy to share my findings and what I'm proposing doing with them.

Thanks again! :)
jamesaeddleston

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon May 13, 2019 10:27 pm

I'd never fill out a marketing survey that requires an email address
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue May 14, 2019 12:01 am

Agreed.

You’ll get a far more responses by dropping the email request.

Re: human error - of course that an happen, which is why you triple check a survey before publishing.

You sound genuine which is great and good luck, but the sceptic in me thinks your response is exactly what someone would say if they weren’t genuine (yes, I can be a miserable git sometimes).

Maybe it’s time to start the survey afresh with no email request and a pier reviewed set of questions. I’m sure you’d get more support from around here then.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 am

jamesaeddleston wrote:Wow, sorry chaps for any offence caused.

Though IMHO the original proposition was rather misjudged, fair play for responding back to us.

We get a lot of fly-by spammers here (as well as a number of surveys of various levels of quality) which can lead to raised hackles on occasion.

By way of constructive feedback I would suggest doing the survey on your website as opposed to using a 3rd party, if only because you have more control over the way the form works, it's hosted within your domain and thus reduces the level of mistrust that comes with generic forms.

I'd also re-consider the questions. At present it really does look like an information gathering exercise for marketing purposes, whether that is the intention or not. By creating an article on your website explaining what it is you are trying to do and putting more context around the questions (why you are asking them and how the information will be used) you'll probably get more favourable responses.

And drop the email address requirement, or at least make it optional. If an e-mail address is not verified then it's worse than useless. You're also wide open to abuse from people putting in the addresses of other people.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue May 14, 2019 1:26 am

All good advice from Eddy.

And I would add the following advice as well...

A web forum is a community, not a notice board.

The way to join a community is to contribute and enter into discussions. And the best way to antagonise a community is to treat it like a bunch of eyeballs.

The members here aren't the people you should be asking to complete your survey. They are the people you should be entering into a conversation with about your ideas, helping you to frame those ideas into something realistic. And those conversations will enable you to create a genuinely useful survey (and, as I am sure you have realised already, one that doesn't require an email address).

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Still Vibrations » Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 am

Dave Rowles wrote:I'd never fill out a marketing survey that requires an email address

Me neither. Nor do I get involved if they need my date of birth. They would then from my email address find my website, order some music and the invoice/receipt would have my address and mobile number. From the address you can find my wife's name as well. An identity fraudster's dream.

I do have several email addresses and aliases as well so can avoid most of the problems.
Still Vibrations
Frequent Poster
"It’s like the whole thing about punk is that you do brilliantly ambitious things very stupidly."  - Maria Damon (I think!)