You are here

Sub Upgrade

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Sub Upgrade

Postby Tele Savalas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi folks, First post, and hope you’re all doing well. I bought a secondhand Fohhn PA for use with my duo - 70’s, 80’s and 90’s tribute shows with backing tracks, 2 vocals and electric guitar. The PA consists of 2 LX100 line array tops and an XS 22 active sub, which sounds fantastic to me. We play hotels, clubs up to around 250 guests, and haven’t gigged the Fohhn yet, due to Covid-19, but have run her loud in the studio, just getting used to her with my QSC Touchmix 30 desk.

My question is- I saw an XS 30 sub for sale at a good price, and was wondering if it would be worth buying for the bigger venues?
It’s a 15” rather than a 12”, and is a solitary decibel louder (128 vs 127), and goes slightly lower with the bigger cone, but not by much (35Hz vs 38Hz)

So would it make that much of a difference?

Thanks in advance.
Tele Savalas
"No one is going to do it for you. It's you versus yourself forever."

Re: Sub Upgrade

Postby RichardT » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:58 pm

Tele Savalas wrote:Hi folks, First post, and hope you’re all doing well. I bought a secondhand Fohhn PA for use with my duo - 70’s, 80’s and 90’s tribute shows with backing tracks, 2 vocals and electric guitar. The PA consists of 2 LX100 line array tops and an XS 22 active sub, which sounds fantastic to me. We play hotels, clubs up to around 250 guests, and haven’t gigged the Fohhn yet, due to Covid-19, but have run her loud in the studio, just getting used to her with my QSC Touchmix 30 desk.

My question is- I saw an XS 30 sub for sale at a good price, and was wondering if it would be worth buying for the bigger venues?
It’s a 15” rather than a 12”, and is a solitary decibel louder (128 vs 127), and goes slightly lower with the bigger cone, but not by much (35Hz vs 38Hz)

So would it make that much of a difference?

Thanks in advance.

I think you’ve answered your own question - for 1dB and 3Hz, and extra weight, I’d stick with what you have.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 pm

Yup, agreed :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby uselessoldman » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:36 pm

Your Fohhn system is something a little special, adding the 15" sub would lower the Bass tone frequency to another level, question is however, does your preferred genre need or even use that extra low extension?

We had a similar discussion over variants of reggae where some demand the lowest and loudest possible thud, against a more mellow appealing boom. Your current rig should handle 250 people with ease and sound great as is, but the extra bass would certainly further rock the floor. Question you have to ask yourself, is your current system already a nice balance or would you really like to make a statement of intent and would it be a positive improvement or maybe even a negative?

With my 5 string Bass guitar the 2x10" speakers I bought struggled even when replaced with Celestion BN10x300s but when I EQs them properly they sounded great and more than capable of handling anything I threw at them. That cost me a couple hundred for my own error of judgement, ignorance and I didn't have room for another cab/sub nor did I need it in the end. I wasn't after the lowest loudest thud, I just wanted to be able to hear a nice balanced Bass tone, clean and clear over the mix.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Tele Savalas » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:37 pm

Thanks for your replies, guys. I appreciate it!

Looks like I’ll be giving the 15” sub a miss, then.

Cheers!
Tele Savalas
"No one is going to do it for you. It's you versus yourself forever."

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:39 pm

Another XS 22 sub might come in useful though.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853