You are here

Well, yeah, again, electric shocks from mics !!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Well, yeah, again, electric shocks from mics !!

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Small municipality in Thailand. I get shocks from everything :) No Earth except for the 3m copper pole I drove into the ground and bolted a cable to, and I'm given to understand that may not have been a good idea. Couple of years ago I bought USP's galore after a big surge took out my 02R96 power supply. Here in the nether regions they have proved invaluable. Local telly fixer repaired my 02R96 PSU for half the price of a packet of fags, but I might not be so lucky next time.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Small municipality in Thailand. I get shocks from everything :) No Earth except for the 3m copper pole I drove into the ground and bolted a cable to, and I'm given to understand that may not have been a good idea. Couple of years ago I bought USP's galore after a big surge took out my 02R96 power supply. Here in the nether regions they have proved invaluable. Local telly fixer repaired my 02R96 PSU for half the price of a packet of fags, but I might not be so lucky next time.

No, not a good idea as I understand these things? You have now earthed the metal parts of your mains equipment and should one ever develop a live to chassis fault the rest of the people on that supply have a earh referenced system and THEIR gear won't be wired for protection.

I don't think a floating mains supply is the best way to power a town but I guess in the "Wild West" parts of the world it is better than what would be a badly policed, half asse'd earthed supply?

I am very happy to live in a country with probably the most efficient and safe electrical system in the world.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Small municipality in Thailand. I get shocks from everything :) No Earth except for the 3m copper pole I drove into the ground and bolted a cable to, and I'm given to understand that may not have been a good idea.

My understanding is that’s what you should do i.e. establish a connection to earth but you should regularly make sure that the earth the pole’s driven into is wet, dry soil equals a poor earth connection.
An earth leakage breaker would be the other item you should have.
MOF
Regular

Previous