You are here

Well, yeah, again, electric shocks from mics !!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Well, yeah, again, electric shocks from mics !!

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Small municipality in Thailand. I get shocks from everything :) No Earth except for the 3m copper pole I drove into the ground and bolted a cable to, and I'm given to understand that may not have been a good idea. Couple of years ago I bought USP's galore after a big surge took out my 02R96 power supply. Here in the nether regions they have proved invaluable. Local telly fixer repaired my 02R96 PSU for half the price of a packet of fags, but I might not be so lucky next time.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:Small municipality in Thailand. I get shocks from everything :) No Earth except for the 3m copper pole I drove into the ground and bolted a cable to, and I'm given to understand that may not have been a good idea. Couple of years ago I bought USP's galore after a big surge took out my 02R96 power supply. Here in the nether regions they have proved invaluable. Local telly fixer repaired my 02R96 PSU for half the price of a packet of fags, but I might not be so lucky next time.

No, not a good idea as I understand these things? You have now earthed the metal parts of your mains equipment and should one ever develop a live to chassis fault the rest of the people on that supply have a earh referenced system and THEIR gear won't be wired for protection.

I don't think a floating mains supply is the best way to power a town but I guess in the "Wild West" parts of the world it is better than what would be a badly policed, half asse'd earthed supply?

I am very happy to live in a country with probably the most efficient and safe electrical system in the world.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Small municipality in Thailand. I get shocks from everything :) No Earth except for the 3m copper pole I drove into the ground and bolted a cable to, and I'm given to understand that may not have been a good idea.

My understanding is that’s what you should do i.e. establish a connection to earth but you should regularly make sure that the earth the pole’s driven into is wet, dry soil equals a poor earth connection.
An earth leakage breaker would be the other item you should have.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:There is very little spare generating capacity left in the UK's power grid at times of peak demand, yet the total load continues to rise and fossil fuel power stations are being closed without reliable 24/7 replacements being online...

And they are banning petrol, diesel and hybrid cars - wanting everyone to go battery electric without the infrastructure to charge all those cars (and not enough of the rare metals in the world to make all the batteries required). :crazy:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:17 pm

It'll be alright though, when Cov-19 decimates the planetary population the demand for 'lectrickery' will be much lower... :lolno:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:40 pm

10% lower to be precise :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby billc2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:09 pm

From Wikipedia: Between 2007 and 2015, the UK's peak electrical demand fell from 61.5 GW to 52.7.GW.
billc2
Regular

Postby billc2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:32 pm

Here's National Grid being so laid back about electric vehicle demand they're practically horizontal:
https://www.nationalgrid.com/group/case-studies/electric-dreams-future-evs
billc2
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:10% lower to be precise :bouncy:

But that 10% will mainly be the elderly and the infirm who will already be doing minimal car journeys.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:40 pm

It'll be alright though, when Cov-19 decimates the planetary population the demand for 'lectrickery' will be much lower

Decimate is 1 in 10. From my calculations, COV-19 currently kills about 0.25% of the population it infects. Having said that, Mrs J and I have cancelled our week in Verona, Maytime. Renting an isolated cottage in the Lakes instead. And I work in the clinical and evidence based parts of healthcare, so normally nothing much bothers me..........
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Wonks wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:10% lower to be precise :bouncy:

But that 10% will mainly be the elderly and the infirm who will already be doing minimal car journeys.

But they use more electric mobility scooters :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Philbo King » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:29 am

I've often run into this, especially in outdoor gigs where the PA is a few hundred feet away and powered from a different main. Also when using a 59s or 60s amp that still has the 'killer cap' installed.

I test for it by leaving the high E string a few inches long, and brushing it against the mic body. If I see any arcing, I know it's time to get out my secret weapon: a black wool sock to cover the mic and ask the PA guy to boost the treble a little to compensate fot the wool.
Philbo King
Poster

Postby OTE2020 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:57 pm

anybody on here ever used isolated Transformers ? I've seen them used on bigger events where there is a lot of LED screen uses.

Once was told that LED screen is the worse for trying to faults on power as there is a huge amount of feedback / noise on the mains due to poor PFC ?

Over my head for sure & guess best to leave that bit of the production to the power guys (and girls...)
OTE2020
Poster

Previous