You are here

What's the hype with Bose?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: What's the hype with Bose?

Postby PSR » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:35 pm

"Plus feedback issues are a very different kettle of frogs with the L1, it being a line array.

Or have I got that wrong?"

Its not really a line array 'cos the speakers face at all different angles. I don't see how it helps with feedback unless it just ain't loud enough to feed!
PSR
Regular
The PSR

Postby TSH-Tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Its not even close to being a line array....

Far to many use the ''line array'' term as a great selling tool but that is all it is in this case = a term to help sell more units.
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:18 pm

PSR wrote:"Plus feedback issues are a very different kettle of frogs with the L1, it being a line array.

Or have I got that wrong?"

Its not really a line array 'cos the speakers face at all different angles. I don't see how it helps with feedback unless it just ain't loud enough to feed!

My understanding is that the L1 doesn't obey the inverse-square law, as a traditional 'point-source' (misnomer, I know) system would... Again, if I've got that wrong I'm happy to be educated!

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby dmills » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:39 pm

The inverse square law (for ANY speaker) only applies between the distance at which the wavefront approaches a spherical form and the critical distance at which the reverberant field matches the direct sound level.

A line source array works by being an acoustically long 'slot radiator' which maintains a cylindrical wavefront out to some reasonable working distance, hence only a 3db falloff with each doubling of throw. To do this it MUST be acoustically long (several wavelengths at least) at the lowest frequency of interest.

My guess (And it is only a guess) is that the L1 actually goes the other way and brings the critical distance right down by deliberately trying to drive the reverberant field, thus again getting a more or less flat level distribution in the room, at the expense of some very odd time domain effects. It might manage line behaviour in the top octave or so, but cannot (it is not physically big enough) behave as a line source array down into the mid band.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby The Korff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:47 pm

Ah, cheers Dan! That would make a lot of sense...
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

dmills wrote:
My guess (And it is only a guess) is that the L1 actually goes the other way and brings the critical distance right down by deliberately trying to drive the reverberant field, thus again getting a more or less flat level distribution in the room, at the expense of some very odd time domain effects.

Isn't this what some Bose hi-fi speakers used to do? Most (all?) of the drivers faced backwards, all the sound you heard was reflected. It sounded ... well ... different :-)

A friend of mine has just acquired a Bose pole for singing to tracks in a restaurant. She enthuses over the coverage, and they look suitably trendy and expensive (this is definitely rich-bitch territory, and such things matter :-). I hope she doesn't tire of the sound.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Guy Johnson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Actually, of course, the L1 *is* a line array.
Just look at it and at some basic physics.
Mind you, it's not an infinite array of omni-directionally radiating (insert spoddy dissertation with very little to do with reality here) radiators of the theoretically correct size and frequency output. But then neither is any other line array, be it audio or electromagnetic.
Dang those Pesky Laws Of Physics!
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Postby narcoman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Bose? Poorly made rubbish.....
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Guy Johnson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:34 am

Just *possibly* a teensy bit dogmatic? A tiny-wee bit of a slightly sweeping statement? ... My mind is made up; don't confuse me with facts? ...

Hmmm?

Eh?

Mmm?
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Postby Guy Johnson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:34 am

Hmm?
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Postby TSH-Tim » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm

narcoman wrote:Bose? Poorly made rubbish.....

ummm NO lol
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby tacitus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:57 am

I'm not going to generalise but my wife's Bose Lifestyle system is the only hi-fi I've ever lived with that's died in service. I haven't had it fixed as I prefer my own Sony amp with B&W 603 speakers, even after my 3 year old son pulled the grilles off and pushed the tweeter cones in ...
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am

tacitus wrote:I'm not going to generalise but my wife's Bose Lifestyle system is the only hi-fi I've ever lived with that's died in service. I haven't had it fixed as I prefer my own Sony amp with B&W 603 speakers, even after my 3 year old son pulled the grilles off and pushed the tweeter cones in ...

I'm remembering another bit od "designer" gear - a B&O record deck designed to hang vertically on a wall. Complete with automatic sliding doors. So unnecessary, and so many things to go wrong.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby The Korff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:45 am

Didn't Vestax come out with a vertical turntable for DJs? It may have just been a prototype, but whatever it was, it was a terrible idea.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:A friend of mine has just acquired a Bose pole for singing to tracks in a restaurant. She enthuses over the coverage, and they look suitably trendy and expensive (this is definitely rich-bitch territory, and such things matter :-). I hope she doesn't tire of the sound.

I think they're very good for that kind of work, the sound quality is nowhere near as "poor" as someone would have you believe on this thread. For solo/duet style acts, it's perfect, and the coverage is very good, as is the clarity and throw.

Granted, it's no Martin, but it fits in a bag, and in your boot, any monkey can assemble it, and you're unlikely to get any complaints from listening audience.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Next