You are here

Wharfdale Pro Speakers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Wharfdale Pro Speakers

Postby _ Six _ » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:56 am

Has anyone used these in anger?

I'm thinking they might be harsh sounding but I can get a good deal on two powered speakers plus bins.

They retail for just over £300 quid each.

Wharfdale Pro
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Re: Wharfdale Pro Speakers

Postby infiniteloop » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:30 pm

I've used them (once.!) and they were f***ing awful.! IMHO the words 'Wharfdale' & 'Pro' should never be used in the same sentence. A truly depressing experience....avoid.!
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Can't speak about these, but the Titans put in a credible performance for about the same money. Maybe not for 'proper' concerts, but for pub-type gigs etc. they're OK.

See Paul White's review here:

Titan 12A Review
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby _ Six _ » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:27 pm

infiniteloop wrote:I've used them (once.!) and they were f***ing awful.! IMHO the words 'Wharfdale' & 'Pro' should never be used in the same sentence. A truly depressing experience....avoid.!

Was it the same range? Active or passive? Can you tell me the context they were used in?

Cheers

Six
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby infiniteloop » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:36 pm

It was a pair of EVP-X12P's, it was for a small conference (40 clients) so their only duty was handling a couple of mics & to play some background music. Usually we take a pair of active JBL cabs for these jobs but they were unavailable on the day so we tried these. Maybe it's a bit unfair to compare them to the JBL cabs we normally use but they were not even 'all right'.! I haven't tried them with any subs (not required for that particular job) so can't comment further on that. As with all gear the only way to be sure is to try it for yourself in the environment you'll be using them in and judge from there.
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Wouldn't even think about using these..... beware these will rip your head OFF ! lol
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave71 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:45 pm

my local dj store has a set up with bins and tops for gear demo purposes and they are pretty awful
Dave71
Regular

Postby TSH-Tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:09 am

Problem is your find mobile DJs buying this crap by the van load to make a noise at a wedding so poeple will keep stocking it....
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:10 pm

We had a pair (EVP-12XPs I think) at the pub where I used to put on live music. They weren't amazing but they certainly weren't harsh or unlistenable, and for the money I thought they did a pretty decent job. Main problem we had was that they weren't particularly reliable.
Sam Inglis

Postby LJOsound » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I wont claim to be a live sound person (I stick to post-production..), but I had a job selling studio equipment to the public, and part of that was getting involved in PA when needed, and Wharfedale "Pro" was the "stack 'em high" brand of the moment.

I will admit that there are some good deals out there on Wharfedale that do look tempting, but let's just say I used to book them in for repair at the same time as the sale to save time when they're inevitably brought back after the weekend...

That said, PA is definitely an area where a little bit of education can go a long way in getting the best out of any gear and reducing the chances of damaging it (or your audiences ears - but that's another topic...)
LJOsound
Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:We had a pair (EVP-12XPs I think) at the pub where I used to put on live music. They weren't amazing but they certainly weren't harsh or unlistenable, and for the money I thought they did a pretty decent job. Main problem we had was that they weren't particularly reliable.

Did you find getting parts for these hard ?
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:16 pm

The other guy I was putting the shows on with was an electrical engineer, so he usually fixed them using bits we had lying around... I think there was one time we needed an official bit, and Wharfedale were pretty helpful.
Sam Inglis