You are here

Yamaha P7000S Question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Yamaha P7000S Question

Postby manleyelop » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Can i use 2x 4ohm speakers in stereo or parallel with this amp..
I have the manual but it's brief

I have used 2x 8ohm speakers in the past only
manleyelop
Regular
Re: Yamaha P7000S Question

Postby Remeniz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Yea, i've had a look at page 8 & 9 in the manual and the amp does have 3 settings on the back selected by a switch:

Stereo, Parallel and Bridged mode. Minimum impedance in Stereo and Parallel mode is 4 ohms and in Bridged mode a minimum of 8 ohms.

So your good to go with a 4 ohm speaker on each output channel. Just don't try to run one 4 ohm speaker in Bridged mode and don't 'physically' wire a pair of 4 ohm speakers in parallel.

NOTE: Just to stop any confusion the Parallel mode on this amp isn't nothing to do with connecting a set of speakers in parallel. The purpose of the Parallel mode is to drive both internal amps from a single input, Channel A in this instance.

:D
Remeniz
Regular

Postby manleyelop » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Remeniz wrote:

NOTE: Just to stop any confusion the Parallel mode on this amp isn't nothing to do with connecting a set of speakers in parallel. The purpose of the Parallel mode is to drive both internal amps from a single input, Channel A in this instance.

:D

Thanks for the info..
How does parallel mode normally work? What's it's usage normally

Also So will using 2x 4ohm speakers in stereo put a 2 or 8 ohm load on the Amp?

Is there any good info i read up on on stereo/parallel/Bridge mode for power amps :)
manleyelop
Regular

Postby Remeniz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm

manleyelop wrote:Thanks for the info..
How does parallel mode normally work? What's it's usage normally

This is where confusion sets in. The manual states that when you flip the switch to 'Parallel mode' your simply sending the input from 'Channel A' to both A and B internal power amps. Handy if you have multiple speakers to drive from common signals or using a mono signal to drive a pair of speakers. it's still a dual channel amp just with one input. It's not to be confused with parallel wiring of speakers.

manleyelop wrote:Also So will using 2x 4ohm speakers in stereo put a 2 or 8 ohm load on the Amp?

As long as you use one 4 ohm speaker on each output channel then each power amp will see a 4 ohm load.

manleyelop wrote:Is there any good info i read up on on stereo/parallel/Bridge mode for power amps :)

Ah, here.
Remeniz
Regular

Postby manleyelop » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Remeniz wrote:
Also So will using 2x 4ohm speakers in stereo put a 2 or 8 ohm load on the Amp?

As long as you use one 4 ohm speaker on each output channel then each power amp will see a 4 ohm load.

[/quote]

Ah so is that because i have two amps,lets say i daisy chained two 8ohm speakers into channel A, would i be correct in thinking the amp to see a 4ohm load?

multiple speakers to drive from common signals or using a mono signal to drive a pair of speakers im still alittle perplexed by that one..
manleyelop
Regular

Postby seablade » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:32 pm

manleyelop wrote:
Is there any good info i read up on on stereo/parallel/Bridge mode for power amps :)

Until I get bored and take it down, you can read this which I wrote up for a class I teach.

http://misc.leviathan-avc.com/temp/61.pdf

It is literally a PDF printout of a webpage I made though, so ignore the 'click' comments;)

Seablade
seablade
Frequent Poster

Postby grab » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Sure you could use 2x4ohm speakers, one per channel. Not a problem on just about any amp out there.

FWIW, the bridged power output into 8ohms and the combined power outputs of stereo channels into 4ohms will usually be the same, so likely you won't get any benefit from that.
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby TSH-Tim » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Just remember when you bridge an amp 4ohm is the max you can load it with.
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster