You are here

Acoustic Guitar/Vox Amp for various gigs and street performances

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Acoustic Guitar/Vox Amp for various gigs and street performances

Postby zaphin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi there,

I've been looking into getting myself a half decent amp for acoustic stuff. I'm looking for something with two channels (for acoustic guitar and voice) and ideally with internal re-chargeable batteries that'll last for a decent amount of time so I can take it on the road.

I had a shot of the Roland AC-33 and thought it was decent. It's pricy though (at around £320) and I figured that if I was going to spend that much I'd like it to be powerful enough to play in small gigs and to use as a preamp to a PA systems. The snag is, the AC-33 only has line out - it's big brother (the AC-60) is just a little more expensive and has XLR outputs, but doesn't have internal batteries. I think roland have been annoyingly cleaver to separate the two amps in the market.

So my question is: is a small 30 watt amp going to be totally drowned out in most pub venues? Is there any way of using it in conjunction with a PA system to make it a bit more versatile? Are there any other options for 2 channel battery/mains powered acoustic amps?

Lengthy message there -congrats if you read it all!!

Thanks,

Martin
zaphin
Poster

Re: Acoustic Guitar/Vox Amp for various gigs and street performances

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am

On the 'other options' front: (although maybe far more than you would want to pay), I have owned an AER Compact Mobile for many years now - I bought it when there was not much competition. It is rated at 60W, 2 channels, phanthom power for Mic, an XLR Direct out for putting through PA, built-in batteries, plus the option to run off an external car battery. Biggest plus, though, is absolutely brilliant, pristine sound. IMHO worth adding to any list for these requirements, even if just for comparison purposes.

Dave
Agamemnon
Regular

Postby zaphin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Hey, thanks for that - looks like a great amp, and it has everything i'm looking for:

powerful enough for gigs / battery supply for playing outside / xlr outputs for using with a pa / mains power supply too (car battery thing is a cool bonus!)

But - it's way over my budget... Any other options??? Any thoughts on how the small 33watt roland AC-33 would actually cope in small gigging venues?

All the best,

Martin
zaphin
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:48 pm

I use the mains powered version of the one at

http://www.pasupercentre.co.uk/db-technologies-opera-110.html

which works very well as a general purpose instrument amp and PA speaker.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Line out into a DI box, onward to the PA. You may need to pad the input.

I used to do this with my Marshall 50w acoustic combo, sound from the amp was definitely not pristine but I liked the way the midrange would break up with a nice character. Sound from the line out via my little whirlwind imp passive DI was much better than the XLR from the amp itself.

Line out was independant of the master volume so I could suit myself onstage.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby zaphin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Hey, thanks for that,

very interesting. So I might do ok with the 33 watt option.. It comes with two line outs (R and L(mono)). The amp is two channel though - one input for voice and one for guitar (or two guitar) - so how would these line outs work? Would it be one for each speaker or a left and right mix of both outputs? Like I say - not so experienced with PA stuff and I don't want to make a silly mistake!

Thanks again,

Martin
zaphin
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:54 am

It's usually a good idea to keep the channels separated for EQing purposes. If your lucky and maybe not mega loud it might be ok to amplify vox and gtr via 1 channel on the PA, otherwise:

Gtr - DI - (XLR to PA/link out to Roland).
Vox - Art Pro Split (XLR1 to PA/XLR2 out to Roland).

...might suit your purposes.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby PSR » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:54 pm

zaphin wrote:Hey, thanks for that,

very interesting. So I might do ok with the 33 watt option.. It comes with two line outs (R and L(mono)). The amp is two channel though - one input for voice and one for guitar (or two guitar) - so how would these line outs work? Would it be one for each speaker or a left and right mix of both outputs? Like I say - not so experienced with PA stuff and I don't want to make a silly mistake!

Thanks again,

Martin

The line outputs simply plug into line inputs of the PA mixer or mixer-amp - not the speakers. That is what they are designed for.

If the PA has 2 channels available (and is indeed a stereo system) then you can connect both left and right.

The input channels on the Roland do not correspond / are not the same as the output channels - you don't get mic out of one and guitar out of the other! Its a confusing use of the word channel. The chourus and reverb effects on the amplifier take the mono input and turn it into stereo output. With no effects selected the guitar with come equally out of both left and right speakers, for example.

Will it be loud enough?

For small pubs, yes I would have thought so, depends on the crowd really, you will have to stand it on a table though. Try one in a busy music shop and judge for youself. I think that if you turn it up loud then the batteries probably won't last very long.

Would I buy one - no. I'd perfer to have something bigger and manage without the battery option.
PSR
Regular
The PSR