You are here

trolley

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

trolley

Postby geefunk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Getting a bit tired of lugging my PA around every week, so have been given the go ahead to buy some kind of trolly. I have two bass bins which get occasional use, and two powered speakers which get constant use. Ideally looking for something the bins can sit on when they're not in use, and the whole lot can go on so I only have to do one journey from my cupboard to the stage. I'm in a school, so needless to say budgets aren't too big!

What do people use? I've been looking at DIY type places for builders trolleys, thinking they would be pretty sturdy and hard wearing....but thought I'd get some recommendations first.

Thanks
geefunk
Regular
I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over
Twitter

Re: trolley

Postby Bob Bickerton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Bog standard sack barrow would do it - could also be used for a multitude of other purposes, though I've never used one for moving sacks, which is curious!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Duratool Platform Truck
Folds flat-ish if needed.

and...

Folding Sack Truck
Doesn't carry so much but folds completely flat.

I have both.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:44 pm

We have one of these trolleys

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cst4b-2-in-1-sack-truck/path/sack-trucks-trolleys

which we've used for carting band gear around and which is also now carrying various building materials for the new studio. Seems fine so far although the clips holding the handle can get a little loose sometimes.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:Bog standard sack barrow would do it - could also be used for a multitude of other purposes, though I've never used one for moving sacks, which is curious!

Bob
Actually I don't know anyone who uses them for sacks :roll: :D
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby aekoi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Ive got the Clarke 2 in 1 jobby, saves so much backache. Had to replace the little wheels wi summin more durable tho but pretty good productb all round
aekoi
Regular

Postby TSH-Tim » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:14 pm

+1 for a good old solid sack truck :) - i've had fancy one's but they fall to bits after 6months...
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:29 pm

You're in a school - wood work project? At least someone who should know how a saw works to help you out!

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby PSR » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Mike Stranks wrote: Duratool Platform Truck

and...

Folding Sack Truck

I have both.

Folding sack truck I have too - its crap. The wheels are too far back and it does not balance like a proper sack truck.

The wheels on the other one look too small too.
PSR
Regular
The PSR

Postby turbodave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Can you not put quality wheels on one of the subs? Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster
My head hurts!

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:39 pm

PSR wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote: Duratool Platform Truck

and...

Folding Sack Truck

I have both.

Folding sack truck I have too - its crap. The wheels are too far back and it does not balance like a proper sack truck.

The wheels on the other one look too small too.

Folding sack truck - your expereince is different to mine. Had it 5 years - heavy loads - still going strong. With a lot of gear to get in a people-carrier the ease of storage in transit outweighs any perceived limitations.

Wheels on 300kg trolley: 5.5 ins diameter; 1.5 ins width; heavy duty tyres. Had it 6 years; will shift really heavy loads with ease.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:59 am

I've got one of the folding ones too,B&Q often have them at a good price - I think mine was about £18. It did very well until somebody forced it to fold flat without releasing the catches & broke them. Even so, it's still useful, you just have to be aware that the handle may go down when pushing it. Very useful for putting in the back of a full car.

For shifting stuff around college, which almost always involves crossing car parks, I use large a sack truck with pneumatic tyres for big items like subs, and one of these that all the smaller bits can be loaded in. I've not had it long, but it's very solidly built, delivered assembled not flat packed, & I'm sure it will last many years.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby p.dakin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

TSH-Tim wrote:Very nice build :) Just wish i was good with a saw lol
Most independent wood/MDF/etc distributors will cut wood to your requirements. No cutting required!

You can pick up 100mm flightcase castors for around £8 each, but shopping around will probably find them cheaper still..

Drill some holes.. easy-peasy.. or yes get the schools ADT (or whatever the gov. are calling them now) dept. to make them for you.
p.dakin
Regular

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Why would a school build us anything...... ??
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Hewesy wrote:You're in a school - wood work project? At least someone who should know how a saw works to help you out!

Hewesy

Who's in a school ?
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Next