You are here

New mixing desk

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

New mixing desk

Postby hms151291 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Basically ... my boyfriend is a sound engineer but he doesn't own his own mixing desk anymore. He is borrowing a friends Yamaha MG166cx. He had a Mackie before.

Well, his birthdays coming up and I want to get him his own desk again but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I've studied music technology and I'm a theatre production student but still not 100%.

I haven't got a huge budget but would rather spend a little more and get something half decent in case he can't use his friends anymore etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ^_^.
hms151291

Re: New mixing desk

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi, H and welcome.

Info required:

Number of channels required.
Type of music involved (can be relevant).
Type of venues / size of audiences.
Rough idea of budget.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby TSH-Tim » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Those Yamaha MG166's aren't that bad ..... but depending on your budget ad all of the above i would look at the Allen & Heath ZED range - http://www.allen-heath.com/zed

Good luck and hope this helps :)
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:29 pm

hms151291 wrote:Basically ... my boyfriend is a sound engineer but he doesn't own his own mixing desk anymore. He is borrowing a friends Yamaha MG166cx. He had a Mackie before.

Well, his birthdays coming up and I want to get him his own desk again but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Sorry if it messes up the birthday surprise, but you really HAVE to let him choose his own equipment! And if he also chooses where to buy it, you'll doubtless get a better deal for your money.

Giving him a budget and sending him out shopping may not be the most romantic gift, but he'll love you all the more for being sensible and not wasting money.

Think what happens when he buys you clothes. You smile sweetly - then go back to the shop to change them. That's not so easily done with mixers :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby TSH-Tim » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:34 pm

lol ... my wife does that every xmas & birthday lol
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
hms151291 wrote:Basically ... my boyfriend is a sound engineer but he doesn't own his own mixing desk anymore. He is borrowing a friends Yamaha MG166cx. He had a Mackie before.

Well, his birthdays coming up and I want to get him his own desk again but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Sorry if it messes up the birthday surprise, but you really HAVE to let him choose his own equipment! And if he also chooses where to buy it, you'll doubtless get a better deal for your money.

Giving him a budget and sending him out shopping may not be the most romantic gift, but he'll love you all the more for being sensible and not wasting money.

Think what happens when he buys you clothes. You smile sweetly - then go back to the shop to change them. That's not so easily done with mixers :-)

On reflection +1 to these sage words. Your post is very similar to another recent enquiry from a loved one seeking advice on a guitar to buy as a gift. All the guitarists concurred that the act of choosing the instrument (including trawling round x number of guitar shops) was a significant bonus to the present (then having it paid for, of course).
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.