You are here

What is the right amp? JBL Control 28s..

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

What is the right amp? JBL Control 28s..

Postby mathematicsforthesoul » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:12 pm

I am helping a mate of mine put in a pa for his venue.. we have put up 4 JBL Control 28s..

Power Capacity: 175w continuous power
8 Ohm

What amp would be best for these? Its a topic which often confuses me, mainly because i case my reference on what people tell me in pa shops!

we have a sound tech amp. would this work it is 210w per channel and 4ohms.. i think it might be too powerful?
mathematicsforthesoul
Poster

Re: What is the right amp? JBL Control 28s..

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Ook well yes that amp will work (as any amp would) but i would say it a little underpowered .... headroom is key with any PA system and people cause more damage using small amps rather using big amps with speakers.

If your using it for back ground music / small bar system then your be fine buddy but anything else I would not only change the amp but probably the speakers as well.

Remember you ''could'' use a 30000w amp on the those speaker as long as your careful lol :)
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby mathematicsforthesoul » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:52 pm

thanks tim,

dont worry.. it is for speeches and background music.. but what would the perfect amp be for this? will i get a lot more headroom by using a bigger amp?

thanks!
mathematicsforthesoul
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:26 pm

I've put these speakers into an install in the past where size and colour was more important than the sound :frown: ... perfectly OK for what you want, but somewhat inefficient little beasts.

So don't skimp on the power output of your amp...

I presume that you've wired them as two sets in parallel, giving you 4 ohms per side.

So I'd suggest an amp capable of producing at least 400/500 RMS watts a side into 4 ohms. Don't go bargain-basement, although Thomann and Behringer are good value for money in this sector.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:29 pm

mathematicsforthesoul wrote:thanks tim,

dont worry.. it is for speeches and background music.. but what would the perfect amp be for this? will i get a lot more headroom by using a bigger amp?

thanks!

I would say somewhere around 600w - 800w @4ohms would do you about right and give you some nice clean head room as well. I've talked about these amps before because they do what they say do on the tin > http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/EP2500.aspx and there cheap :)
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know but if you hook up an 800w a side to these speakers and some numpty bar man turns up the volume on the music source to the point of clipping you will fry your speakers.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Annnnnnd if you hook up an 50w a side amp to these speakers and some numpty bar man turns up the volume on the music source to the point of clipping your STILL fry your speakers.... ;)

Trust me head room is key and by the time the 800w per side starts to clip your be ripping the heads off everyone in the bar.
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Good point Tim but my main concern is the idea of "salesman of the month" thumping a cheap condenser with a fat finger, blowing hard and saying "is this on?" before dropping it on the floor, sending voice coils arching poetically towards the centre of the room. I'd suggest that's less likely with a 50w amp.

mathematicsforthesoul wrote:thanks tim,
thanks!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Ummm no not really buddy... 80% of the time its the clipping of the amp that kills a speaker driver not the power going to it - A 50w amp will clipp sooner than a 500w amp
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby mathematicsforthesoul » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:21 am

thanks for all the replies, the amp i have at the moment is 4 channel.. should I bridge it to get the extra power?
mathematicsforthesoul
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:46 pm

TSH-Tim wrote:Ummm no not really buddy... 80% of the time its the clipping of the amp that kills a speaker driver not the power going to it - A 50w amp will clipp sooner than a 500w amp

Is that so? Why, thanks for that priceless nugget of wisdom.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:30 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
TSH-Tim wrote:Ummm no not really buddy... 80% of the time its the clipping of the amp that kills a speaker driver not the power going to it - A 50w amp will clipp sooner than a 500w amp

Is that so? Why, thanks for that priceless nugget of wisdom.

No problem :)
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster

Postby TSH-Tim » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:32 pm

mathematicsforthesoul wrote:thanks for all the replies, the amp i have at the moment is 4 channel.. should I bridge it to get the extra power?

Could you send us a link to this amp then i can have a look and see what it does into what and the best way to go about it.
TSH-Tim
Frequent Poster