You are here


For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.


Postby Dave Rowles » Sat May 14, 2011 10:58 pm

If it's just the earphones you're wanting, then I can recommend
User avatar
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1134
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Isle of Man Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man


Postby mpostor » Mon May 16, 2011 5:16 pm

As mentioned above, the question is a bit ambiguous.

Do you want custom iearpieces, or a wireless in-ear system with custom earpieces?

Two different beasts.

For custom earpieces, look at Hand Held Audio
Plenty to choose from and excellent customer service.
Make sure you get the right ones.
Good earpieces should make a seal inside the ear to prevent outside noise from bleeding in. For good read expensive.

Personally, a pair of decent generics work for me. I've found that foam padded earpieces fit better and are more comfortable than moulds.
Look at the Shure SE series as well as Westone and Ultimate Ears.

If it's just the wireless bits you're looking for, Hand Held do that as well.
FWIW, I would look at the Sennhesier G3 IEM system. It's pretty much industry standard. Likewise the Shure PSM700 and latterly the PSM900, but they cost a lot more.
Anything else is a cheap compromise and is likely to prove the 'buy once, cry once' rule about buying cheap audio equipment.

Make sure that what you buy now will still be legal in 2012 (UK users). If you're going to look at eBay for this sort of thing, make sure that the operating frequencies are listed. Information about what will be legal post 2012 can be found online.
Yes, it's a bugger, but it's better than being caught with illegal equipment and being fined and having it confiscated.


Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:00 am
Location: S.W. London