You are here

Radio interference on snake

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Radio interference on snake

Postby N.icholas » Sat May 14, 2011 5:15 pm

About to do the sound for a very small local festival and was just testing out an old drum snake - 12 x 4 (I think about 30metres). I am picking up radio signals on several of the channels but not all (well if turn gain right up a little also on the others).

The multicore is quite old but has not been heavily used or abused - only been out about twice a year. The XLRs are not moulded and the screening is separate copper brading on each of the multicore strands - or so it appears when unscrewing the XLR connector.

Any ideas - as the testing is with the snake wound up on the drum - would this make a difference?

many thanks

Nick

Just noticed that if for a channel / multicore thread affected - I hold the mike and touch the desk (metal) the interference is reduced ( though does not dissapear totally)
Only thing noticed about the wiring of the XLR is that the shield goes to the correct pin (1) and then is bridged to the XLR Chasis (something I usually do not do - (or should I?).
N.icholas
Regular
Nick

Re: Radio interference on snake

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat May 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Have you done a continuity and shorting test on every connection? Quickest way is with a cable tester; cheapest is probably a Behringer.

I'm pretty sure you'll find some lifted connections which will need resoldering.

If, after a full continuity and shorting check, the problem's still there then come back.

Stage multicores have a hard life and need regular checking/maintenance.

Cheers! Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby N.icholas » Sat May 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks Mike,

will do that - I have a cable tester - and have tested them all before but will do again especially the problematic ones.

Just been googling around - and one source seems to go on about a pin one problem - but was not too clear ( to me anyway- but will read it again) i.e. uncertain whether connecting Pin one shield connection to the XLR casing helps alleviate or can help cause the problem.

Also there seems to be a lot about using ferrite rings round the cable to help alleviate the problem - maplin seems to sell them but not sure if suitable for a snake.

any comments on the above welcome

Nick
N.icholas
Regular
Nick

Postby N.icholas » Sun May 15, 2011 9:49 am

Have retested the connections with cable tester and all seems fine.
I have raised this issue in the newbies forum as came across possible PIN 1 problems and thought some advicce / discussion on this may be useful.

I am going to try and get some ferrite clip on rings and see if this helps.

If rings don't help or cannot get them in time - For the live gig probably will move the vocals to use the non- problematic muticores and put drums and guitars on the others as the gain should be lower and the interference therfore hopefully not noticeable.
N.icholas
Regular
Nick