You are here

Vocal pedal effects on stage useful or disturbing?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Vocal pedal effects on stage useful or disturbing?

Postby anarchipur » Mon May 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi,

are vocal pedal effects useful on stage or do they disturb the engineer doing his/her job?

I normally like to use a little of reverb and delay depending on teh song, so I am asking myself if I should rely on the engineer or should I better do it myself using a pedal.

I am afraid if I use a pedal I normally have no idea what the audience actually hears, so I could mess it up unintentionally.

What do you think?
anarchipur

Re: Vocal pedal effects on stage useful or disturbing?

Postby mpostor » Mon May 16, 2011 5:06 pm

As an engineer, most of the time it's not helpful having the singer send a wet signal to the mixing desk.
As you mentioned, the singer is not a the best position to judge when things are sounding right.

What would be helpful would be if you could find a way to send a dry signal and the effected signal to the main desk separately. That way, the engineer will be able to mix your mic and FX according to taste.

A simple mic splitter can be bought for less than £50. Plug your mic into it. Send one output to the main desk and the other to your FX unit. Send the output of your FX to the main desk and let the engineer balance you.
Of course, you are then relying on the engineer to be able to understand what you want to achieve from the FX, but as I said above, it gives him/her a fighting chance of saving you from drowning in your own reverb.

HTH.

Stu.
mpostor
Regular

Re: Vocal pedal effects on stage useful or disturbing?

Postby aekoi » Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 pm

I've seen these boxes used very effectively by vocalists possessing that universal skill essential to any performer, innate musicianship, a sense of what, and when, is right. And I've seen them used very poorly, by vocalists without such musical awareness. Haven't ever witnessed any exceptions to this rule.

Regarding the EQ point above; the house engineer, rather then bands vocalist, will probably have the best ears (regarding the room), and will certainly have the best mix postion to correctly EQ a vocal.

But you want to give the impression that you have a hidden backing choir of robots, nothing beats liberal use of the harmonizer function.
aekoi
Regular