You are here

Bass DI'd through PA - viable?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Bass DI'd through PA - viable?

Postby MarkOne » Thu May 19, 2011 4:40 pm

I have a gig next month in a club venue, with a pretty big house PA, the guy playing bass for me has only got a fairly small backline amp, and I'm pretty sure it won't be man enough for the venue.

What do you reckon to the viability of DI'ing the bass via a modelling effects pedal?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Bass DI'd through PA - viable?

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu May 19, 2011 4:50 pm

MarkOne wrote:What do you reckon to the viability of DI'ing the bass via a modelling effects pedal?

The bass player in my band has a small combo, which he uses for his own monitoring, but the bass is sent to the PA via a DI box or a mic on his combo, depending on the circumstances, and that works fine so I don't think you'll have any issues.

His combo may well have a specific signal out, even better, as that'll send a constant source to the desk and won't be affected when he turns the amp up/down "locally".
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu May 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Yup! If poss I always DI the bass so everything should be fine. Good luck with the gig! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby dmills » Thu May 19, 2011 5:46 pm

Seconded, perfectly standard way of working.

Do not be surprised if the PA guy would rather use a DI box then the "DI" output on the bass amp (if present), we tend to be leery of those things because so many of them are crap.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby Steve Hill » Thu May 19, 2011 8:41 pm

dmills wrote:Do not be surprised if the PA guy would rather use a DI box then the "DI" output on the bass amp (if present), we tend to be leery of those things because so many of them are crap.

Although that will be pre-EQ, so anything he does with his amp will have no effect whatsoever on what the audience hears... fine if you can get an acceptable set-and-forget sound.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby dmills » Fri May 20, 2011 1:06 am

Not necessarily Steve, plenty of DIs will pad a speaker level signal down to mic level.
Just use something like a old EMO passive DI looped in with the speaker output.

While the DI socket on a bass amp is superficially useful far too many of them have pin one problems or strange issues WRT P48 protection or are single legged or whatever. When in the midst of combat audio it is usually best to ignore them and use something more reliable.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby Dave Gate » Fri May 20, 2011 7:15 am

I once had a support band turn up without a bass amp on the (wrong) assumption that they would be able to use someone else's.

I DIed the bass and gave him a reasonable amount of it back in his monitors, and the whole band was happy enough with that arrangement that they said they might use it intentionally in the future . . .
Dave Gate
Regular

Gear List: reverse only.

Postby SecretSam » Fri May 20, 2011 8:35 am

The SansAmp bass DI box should be in every working bass player's bag. It is a fantastic portable preamp and overdrive as well as a DI. If your amp blows up, you can use it to get a workable sound out of pretty much any amp you can find.

Costs a couple of bucks, though ....
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.