You are here

Amp to speakers through a snake? Bad idea??

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Amp to speakers through a snake? Bad idea??

Postby Synth-lord » Sun May 22, 2011 11:30 pm

I recently decided to tidy up my rack and to house my poweramp in there for easy monitoring, but to buy long enough speakon cables to run them 30 metres + is hellishly expensive, so i swapped one end of each speakon cable with an XLR cable and vice versa, and plan to use my multicore cable to run the distance.

Does anyone know of any reason why this would be a bad idea?
Synth-lord
Poster

Re: Amp to speakers through a snake? Bad idea??

Postby intense » Mon May 23, 2011 12:05 am

Resistance, whether you're using the cores of cables in the multicore or the screens of spare cables.
Loss of audio power on account of that resistance and fire risk because of heating if the multicore is left coiled!
Crosstalk to other cores carrying low-level audio signals on account of the relatively large currents being carried.

All of these would get worse with increasing audio power, and might be tolerable with low power.

Chris
intense
Regular

Postby Synth-lord » Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 am

... touche Chris...
Synth-lord
Poster

Postby Dave Gate » Mon May 23, 2011 8:23 am

Really bad idea!

But 30+ metre speakons needn't be that expensive, as you could make them yourself using bog-standard mains cable and speakon plugs bought from somewhere like CPC or Maplin.
Dave Gate
Regular

Gear List: reverse only.

Postby tacitus » Mon May 23, 2011 9:08 am

Think of your snake as a long, thin temple to mic-level signals. Line level returns are tolerated only if they cause no trouble, and anything else is OUT. I have a big snake and a small one, and if I can keep the returns on the small and the mics on the big one I'm happy.

Why on earth would you want to put your power amp(s) in your effects rack anyway? And in just what way would that be 'tidying up"? Sorry to be brutal, but it sounds like my wife's idea of tidying up which is to stuff more junk in drawers than they can take. Save the money for long cables and get a rack case just for the amp(s). You'll have an easier carry, too.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 am

Synth-lord wrote:Does anyone know of any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Yes.... next question ;)

Seriously, it would be a really, really, bad idea! Assuming your amp is reasonably powerful, the mic multi cores will not be adequate for the current flows required. This will result in poor damping (floppy bottom end) and possible unwanted heating in the multicore.

The high peak current flows will also induce all sorts of nasties into your mic signals, and potentially lead to problems of uncontrollable howlrounds.

If you really must put the amp in your FOH rack, then go and buy the thickest and highest current-rated two-core mains power lead you can find and wire your speakons to that. It won't cost that much and is a far better idea than using the mic multi.

better still, buy a separate rack case for the power amp and place it with the speakers. Shorter speaker cables are always better.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon May 23, 2011 10:52 am

Synth-lord wrote:I recently decided to tidy up my rack and to house my poweramp in there for easy monitoring, but to buy long enough speakon cables to run them 30 metres + is hellishly expensive, so i swapped one end of each speakon cable with an XLR cable and vice versa, and plan to use my multicore cable to run the distance.

How thick is the cable in one core of your snake? How thick is the cable in one of your speaker leads?

You might not actually get smoke. But you'll lose a lot of power. And we haven't even started thinking about cross-talk.

How do you "monitor" a power amp?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Synth-lord » Mon May 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Woww I feel inadequate :L

Thanks for all the advice guys, I guess I just figured it'd be easier to keep all the elec stuff with me, and litterally use the stage for JUST the bands.

How wrong I was...
Synth-lord
Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 23, 2011 5:12 pm

No need to feel inadequate S-L... :)

We're all learners here to a greater or lesser extent... genuine questions and comments get genuine answers. The 'rigour' can be a bit daunting when you first arrive though - at least that was my experience! :D

Stick with it and you'll doubtless learn a lot here - I have and I've been in this lark since 1972! :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Nico 3313 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:28 pm

I seemed to remember a product by Whirlwind to connect speakers through a snake. In fact they still carry it:

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/snakes/medusa-power-series-audio-snakes-hand-made-rochest

However this is not the idea of running your speakers through a couple of spare mic pairs.
Nico 3313
Poster

Preamps are Class A by default

Postby robare99 » Mon May 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Yorkville makes a proper "power snake" as well...

http://www.directproaudio.com/m/product.cfm?directid=60542

robare99
Regular