You are here

30Hz-capable subwoofer for small / medium rooms

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: 30Hz-capable subwoofer for small / medium rooms

Postby DPoll » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:34 am

FWIW, Fohhn subs have a low response, about 35-38hz I think. But are quite expensive.

I've never heard the subs myself, but do have a pair of fohhn tops and can vouch for the quality of them.

http://www.fohhn.com/index.php?id=55&L=1&tx_fohhnproducts_pi1%5Bfohhnproducts%5D=71&cHash=de53863e7cc80578193dec2c8237f48a
DPoll
Poster

Postby tacitus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 am

Bob, I see where you're coming from on this, but I also see the point of the 'tear up the specs and listen' brigade. So far, the best suggestion to my ears is to use a Markbass amp just for bass lines - it'll not only be tailored to give a decent bass sound regardless of paper specs but it will also make the bass line into a 'separate instrument'. I regularly conduct a wind band with an electric bass player (5-string down to bottom B) going through the small Markbass amp (without the 4-way speaker extension) and it sounds wonderful with all the other acoustic instruments. Two 5 or 6 inch drivers in that unit! After all, we're not talking rock band here, are we?

Alternatively, if you want to know exactly (OK, roughly) which frequencies are going to do it for you, borrow a PA with sufficiently deep bass and play your stuff through a 31-band EQ and see how much (or little) you really need at the bottom to get the sound you want. At least then you'll have a visual idea in your mind of how the bass response needs to be tailored. I'm continually surprised at how much bass I cut out of the PA to get it to sound balanced to my ears - and I'm talking about a largely acoustic ensemble again. Your view may be different, but this way you'll know what you want.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Moose » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:48 pm

DPoll wrote:FWIW, Fohhn subs have a low response, about 35-38hz I think. But are quite expensive.

I've never heard the subs myself, but do have a pair of fohhn tops and can vouch for the quality of them.
Yes Fohhn speakers look very good, but I'm afraid they are expensive. I asked the distributor about prices but no answer.

Cheers
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Moose » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:04 pm

tacitus wrote:Bob, I see where you're coming from on this, but I also see the point of the 'tear up the specs and listen' brigade. So far, the best suggestion to my ears is to use a Markbass amp just for bass lines - it'll not only be tailored to give a decent bass sound regardless of paper specs but it will also make the bass line into a 'separate instrument'. I regularly conduct a wind band with an electric bass player (5-string down to bottom B) going through the small Markbass amp (without the 4-way speaker extension) and it sounds wonderful with all the other acoustic instruments. Two 5 or 6 inch drivers in that unit!
I must say this bass amplifier solution is attractive. I must adapt my sounds to this (I have never used "keyboard splits" in concerts), but why not?

After all, we're not talking rock band here, are we?
Yes we are, I mean, I play rock music too, but of course not at loud level in small rooms! Is it still rock music then? :D

Alternatively, if you want to know exactly (OK, roughly) which frequencies are going to do it for you, borrow a PA with sufficiently deep bass and play your stuff through a 31-band EQ and see how much (or little) you really need at the bottom to get the sound you want. At least then you'll have a visual idea in your mind of how the bass response needs to be tailored. I'm continually surprised at how much bass I cut out of the PA to get it to sound balanced to my ears - and I'm talking about a largely acoustic ensemble again. Your view may be different, but this way you'll know what you want.
I agree and I do cut some bass on large speakers too, especially at higher levels. This has to do with Fletcher / Munson curves. But if your PA does not produce any significant bass at any level (like the 2 powered speakers I currently have), it will sound bass light.
At the risk of repeating myself, I do not like boomy bass sound, I just want a natural sounding bass extension. I would never boost the 80Hz area like crappy dance music DJs do.

For studio monitoring, I know I want the K+H O 300, but let's have a proper sounding room before. For live, well, no idea. My current 8' powered speakers are limited, and quite old. I guess I just need somehow larger speakers, but I am completely lost about this.

Best
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Postby ollieolarte » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 pm

if you check, most subs that extend low to 30 Hz are usually "-10 db.
there is an effect of sub frecuencies that you can only achieve many massive subs pushing air at -3 db so bass doesnt dissort.
that type of air moving is really pleasing, it makes your body vibrate, and you can even feel the bass resonating on your throat and lungs.
check "sinai sound system" it has 12 x (18") scoops and barely 6 x (2x15)'s so the bass frecuencies are boosted by the amount of subwoofers (12) pushing air in contrast of mid tops that just cut through.
you can have a sense of that feeling on this video:

on the first minute you will hear frecs above 80 Hz because the subwoofers ares turned off.
check the amount of air that those scoops move then they are turned on :shocked: :crazy:

https://youtu.be/AvKTMv4E09Y?t=116 (wait until 2:30)
ollieolarte

Postby OTE2020 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:54 pm

This sub by Em https://emacoustics.co.uk/docs/archive- ... /i-8.shtml plays down to 35hz and is small - incredible sub & i know these sell for about £350 used whihc isn't bad for a £2000+ sub
OTE2020
Poster

Previous