You are here

live sound - mono or stereo?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:24 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I'm not on Linkdein, so who is Denny Mack (The King Of Sound)?

Denny Mack
Production Manager / MME World Classic Rockers
Orange County, California Area

The World Classic Rockers
Production Manager / MME
Nov 2003 – Present
The World Classic Rockers (www.wcr.com), is an all star rock and roll band featuring former members of Steppenwolf, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kansas, Journey and Boston.

The Crazy Horse Saloon
Production Manager
Oct 1992 – Nov 2010
The Crazy Horse garnered seven awards from the Academy of Country Music (ACM) and one SRO award from The Country Music Association (CMA) as the # 1 night club in the nation.

Mel Torme' / Johnny Lee / Zaca Creek
Audio Engineer / Production Manager
Jun 1986 – Dec 1998
Mel Tormé, Peter Nero and Leslie Uggams, MME: "The Great Gershwin Tour"​.

...
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27609
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:27 am

Well, Hugh's the King of Sound on Sound. :D
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10886
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:28 am

Only a Prince, or maybe a gallant Knight... PW is The King! :D
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27609
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:37 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I'm not on Linkdein, so who is Denny Mack (The King Of Sound)?

Denny Mack
Production Manager / MME World Classic Rockers
Orange County, California Area

The World Classic Rockers
Production Manager / MME
Nov 2003 – Present
The World Classic Rockers (http://www.wcr.com), is an all star rock and roll band featuring former members of Steppenwolf, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kansas, Journey and Boston.

The Crazy Horse Saloon
Production Manager
Oct 1992 – Nov 2010
The Crazy Horse garnered seven awards from the Academy of Country Music (ACM) and one SRO award from The Country Music Association (CMA) as the # 1 night club in the nation.

Mel Torme' / Johnny Lee / Zaca Creek
Audio Engineer / Production Manager
Jun 1986 – Dec 1998
Mel Tormé, Peter Nero and Leslie Uggams, MME: "The Great Gershwin Tour"​.

...
To be fair, that is quite a resumé...

I think the only time I've ever done live sound in stereo was when doing a gig for three singing guitarists. Adding a bit of L and R panning gave a little bit of separation and helped show who was playing what. Well, it did for the central third of the audience, not sure how much difference it made to the rest. :eh:
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10518
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:51 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Only a Prince, or maybe a gallant Knight... PW is The King! :D

But it doesn't work in the context of the thread (and he's never on the forums and your reviews are betterer). Go on, just run with it for the moment, Your Majesty. :P
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10886
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Wonks wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Only a Prince, or maybe a gallant Knight... PW is The King! :D

But it doesn't work in the context of the thread (and he's never on the forums and your reviews are betterer). Go on, just run with it for the moment, Your Majesty. :P

:thumbup:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7332
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:00 am

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:04 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I'm not on Linkdein, so who is Denny Mack (The King Of Sound)?

Denny Mack
Production Manager / MME World Classic Rockers
Orange County, California Area

The World Classic Rockers
Production Manager / MME
Nov 2003 – Present
The World Classic Rockers (http://www.wcr.com), is an all star rock and roll band featuring former members of Steppenwolf, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kansas, Journey and Boston.

The Crazy Horse Saloon
Production Manager
Oct 1992 – Nov 2010
The Crazy Horse garnered seven awards from the Academy of Country Music (ACM) and one SRO award from The Country Music Association (CMA) as the # 1 night club in the nation.

Mel Torme' / Johnny Lee / Zaca Creek
Audio Engineer / Production Manager
Jun 1986 – Dec 1998
Mel Tormé, Peter Nero and Leslie Uggams, MME: "The Great Gershwin Tour"​.

...
To be fair, that is quite a resumé...

Yup, guess he knows his Ahhh's from his Elbow then.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12782
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby Mike Monte » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:33 am

In bars/small venues I usually go mono.

When I tech a stage for larger outdoor events I will set up the rig in stereo but will mix it in mono (all pans at 12 o'clock).....however, I do like to take a "lead guitarists" sound and bring it to the other side of the stage (via the PA) as guitar amps are "beamy".
User avatar
Mike Monte
Poster
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:00 am

Re: live sound - mono or stereo?

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:05 am

I have never played a gig in mono!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14545
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous