You are here

JBL eon one

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

JBL eon one

Postby Janneman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:03 am

Goodmorning,

I've bought a JBL eon one for live gigs. I'm using a small A&H mixer because I find that easier to mix the signals. If I put the output of the mixer to 0 dB after adjusting the input levels correct and I put the input button on the Eon one on line input the overall output of the Eon one is very low. But when I put the input button to mic input the overall output is great and the system sounds very nice.

Is there something wrong with the gain structure on the JBL or are i'm doing something wrong?

regards from Holland

Jan van Duren
Janneman
New here
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Re: JBL eon one

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:38 am

Which A&H mixer? The small Zeds have a "DI Level" switch (for sub mixing) which reduces the main outputs to mic level. If you've got that switch in that will cause the effect you describe.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Janneman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your replay. It's a Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX but I can't discover any DJ switch.

Regards

Jan
Janneman
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Irisaudio wrote:Is there something wrong with the gain structure on the JBL or are i'm doing something wrong?

I suspect this is a cabling/connection issue.

Can you confirm what type of cables you are using between the mixer and the Eon One?

Balanced or unbalanced?

What connectors at each end?

And what output connection are you using from the mixer and into the Eon One?

Ideally, you should be using balanced XLR (f) to TRS plug cables, plugged into the Main Out XLRs of the mixer and into the TRS inputs 3/4 of the EON One.

If you need to connect into the first two channels of the Eon ot make use of the EQ, then use the central TRS jack sockets with the Eon switched to Line mode.

I suspect you're currently using XLR-XLR cables into channel 1/2 in which case it will only work in the Mic mode, but you risk overloading the inputs.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Irisaudio wrote:Hi Sam,

Thanks for your replay. It's a Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX but I can't discover any DJ switch.

Regards

Jan

Where such a switch is fitted it is often not well marked so it's an easy mistake to make. However The ZEDi mixers do not have the "DI" switch only the standard ZED models so that is not the issue. In which case I refer you to Hugh's post :)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Janneman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:33 am

Goodmorning Sam and Hugh,

The solution that Hugh gave was right. Sometimes solutions are that easy.

Thank you both very much.

For both and your family a very good year 2017.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

regards from a very misty Holland.

Jan van Duren
Janneman
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:32 am

:clap: :thumbup:

Glad it was that easy! :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:08 pm

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Janneman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:07 am

Goodmorning,

Put on a wrong question. The answer was already given.

regards

Jan van Duren
Janneman
New here

Postby gogi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:43 am

This is a follow on question is for Hugh based on his recommendation to use balanced XLR to jack TRS cable and not XLR to XLR cable (with the dip switch set at mic).

Suppose the EON one is located 100 feet from the mixer, and logic suggests using an XLR. To XLR cable instead to reduce line losses over the distance. Where should the dip switch be set?
gogi
Regular

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:55 am

An XLR to TRS cable with is still a balanced cable, the TRS jack is simply a different type of connector to an XLR. The cable lengths and types would be the same so any resistance and capacitance losses would be the same.

Your mixer is still putting out a line level signal regardless of what cable you use. So you should still need to set the input switch on the EON to line level.

If you aren't getting a strong signal into the EON like this, then it's because the mixer isn't sending out a strong enough signal, which then comes down to the gain structure you are using in the mixer. Are you getting the output bar meters hitting 0dB or above and it still sounds very quiet?

What have you got the volume knobs set to on the EON? If you've got the master volume and channel volumes set in the mid positions, then you aren't going to get a lot of volume out. Set them all to maximum to start with and only back them off if the Limit light comes on or back off the input channel volume a bit if you think it the signal sounds distorted. You then have full control of the output level from the mixer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Janneman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:24 am

Goodmorning,

I'm using now input 3&4 for TTRS cables. Very easy.

tech. info
Ch 1-2 Combo: XLR 40 K Ohms Balanced

Ch 1-2 Combo: TRS 40 K Ohms Balanced
or
Ch 3-4: TRS 20 K Ohms Balanced

regards

Jan van Duren
Janneman
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 am

gogi wrote:Suppose the EON one is located 100 feet from the mixer, and logic suggests using an XLR. To XLR cable instead to reduce line losses over the distance. Where should the dip switch be set?

It's not the connector that is important here. To minimise interference you need a balanced cable. That has three connections so you need either XLR or TRS plugs at the end.

By all means extend your XLR-TRS cable with more XLR-XLR cables if you need to move the speakers further way. Nothing else changes. You're still sending a balanced line level signal, and it still needs a TRS plug at the speaker end because that's the connection format it provides for line level input signals.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby SteveGeetar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:16 pm

I've just joined this forum after reading this thread and seeing how helpful your members are. I am new to being responsible for live sound. I've just experienced an issue related to this thread that I wanted to describe for your consideration and advice.
I play guitar in a duo to accompany a female vocalist and I also sing. We typically play lower volume small venues such as restaurant lounges, coffee shops, art galleries, wine bars, and business/social luncheons and meeting. After trying the Bose Compact and JBL Eon One systems, we got the JBL. We used our JBL Eon One for the past 2 weeks in rehearsals, had found good settings, and were very happy with our sound. (We rehearse in a living room, so levels are lower than live performances.)
During our soundcheck this past weekend at our first gig with this system, we experienced an unpleasant sound quality issue that I can best describe as over-driven, distorted, fuzzy, or muddy; almost as if a speaker was blown or getting ready to. It was most obvious on my vocals - lower frequencies and less noticeable with her vocals. I turned down my mic to avoid doing any damage, but then was told I couldn't be heard.
Here's our setup:
We use two vocal mics using XLR connections into CHs 1 and 2 of a Mackie 1202-VLZ3 mixer. The mixer checks out fine with a 2 mains-style PA. I like to use it for more EQ control and for future additional sound sources, ie keyboard.
My Takamine LTD2000 acoustic/elec guitar with factory onboard battery-powered electronics goes out to a small effects board then out via a 1/4" instrument cable into Line-In Channel 3 input of the Mackie board.
I use one XLR cable from the L Main output from the Mackie board into the CH1 input of the JBL Eon One.
I followed carefully the Level-Setting and Instant Mixing procedures in my Mackie Manual. Channel levels were set to unity and the main mix was up about 1/3.
The JBL Eon One Settings were as follows:
Bass and Treble at 12 o'clock (midpoint). Reverb at 10 o'clock. Ch Vol set at 9 o'clock.
Mic input switch in. Master Volume about 1/4.
Thinking back to when I first started using the JBL Eon One, I tried the mic/line switch out (line) and the levels were so low that I had to turn the JBL levels up to levels that seemed wrong. Concerned that I was going to blow-up my brand new JBL Eon One, I turned it back down and switched back to Mic input.
My main question: is it likely that this distortion was caused by how I had it set up?
Is the fix as simple as using TRS cables into CH 3/4 as mentioned in this thread? Although wouldn't that take Reverb out of the mix?
OR, is the fix to push the CH 1 JBL Eon One Mic/Line switch to Line and crank the levels on the CH 1 and Master Volume?
SteveGeetar

Postby Janneman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi Steve,

I own a JBL eon one (see my questions above). But I don't recognise the problems. The sound on our JBL is very power full and has a very nice sound. Are you sure that all your levels are correct. Bye one cable with TRS connectors and see of the problems are over.

Goodluck

regards

Jan van Duren
Janneman
New here

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Steve,
You shouldn't need to have the mic-switch in on the JBLs. The mics are already going through a pre-amp in the mixer and the output from the mixer will be line level. Putting the signal through a second set of mic pre-amps would explain the distortion. How does it behave with main mixer out set to unity?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:03 pm

The Mackie 1202 VLZ3 has a mic/line switch (labeled "Main Output Level") between the main and control room outputs. If that is in the desk outputs are at mic level. it requires a pen or screwdriver to operate (to avoid accidental operation which was common on the first 1202 VLZ that I have).

Turning the master volume on the Eon One up to full is fine, then you can control everything from the mixer (this is complicated by the 'volume' on the channels but set these at, say, 12 o'clock for starters). Definitely use the mic/line switch in line level.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The Mackie 1202 VLZ3 has a mic/line switch (labeled "Main Output Level") between the main and control room outputs. If that is in the desk outputs are at mic level. it requires a pen or screwdriver to operate (to avoid accidental operation which was common on the first 1202 VLZ that I have).

Oops! I stand corrected. Thanks Sam :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

:) It's useful if using it as a sub mixer into a snake but otherwise should be in the 'line' position. The older 1202s Iike mine) had an exposed button and it was very easy to switch it when plugging in or carrying the desk leading to head scratching on several occasions :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby SteveGeetar » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:35 am

Thank You all for your responses.
I see the Main Output Level recessed silver button on the back of the Mackie Mixer that must be pushed with a fine point (spring loaded in or out).
I hadn't paid much attention to this button thus far. I just reviewed the Manual, but the explanation for this switch makes no sense to me (with my limited PA system experience and knowledge).
The labeling for this switch on the back is not very clear to me either. It appears to indicate if the button is pushed farthest in, it is MIC and if in the shallower position it is +4.
So does +4 mean the same thing as Line Level?
And is +4 position where I should have it set?
SteveGeetar

Next