You are here

JBL Eon 1, runs very warm to hot? Anyone else?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

JBL Eon 1, runs very warm to hot? Anyone else?

Postby pax-eterna » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:47 am

Just bought a pair of JBL Eon 1 speakers. They have passive cooling and I have noticed the rear panel gets very warm to, yes, even hot in operation. The screws are "nearly" too hot to hold your hand on them, and the plastic panel you can hold you hand on it, but it is close to too hot as well.

I asked the dealer who spoke to the distributor who said this was normal?? So I ahve sent a confirmation question to JBL (USA I think??)

Anyhoo, has any other owners experienced the sme thing?

Thanks
pax-eterna
Regular

Re: JBL Eon 1, runs very warm to hot? Anyone else?

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:25 am

If both speaker systems get equally hot then it is very unlikely to be a fault condition.

I am however unable to find a proper specification for the Eon 1 with such details as mains power consumption. The amplifiers are class "D" and as such should not get very hot at all, especially under quiescent conditions. It might be however that the power supply is a "linear" 50Hz type and the mains transformer is a bit close to its limit. This can happen with 60Hz US gear on our 50Hz mains but I would not have thought a company of JBL's standing would have made such a design error or "cheaped out" in that way?

A rule of thumb (hah!). If you can bear a finger on a heat sink for about one monkey it is close to 50C. Naturally a proper heat probe is better! Do any cooking?

"Lies, damned lies and Specifications"! Is there a mains rating plate on the cab?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 am

... and just to add to what Dave's said... a lot depends on how hard you're driving them... sustained loud = hotter.

But if they're getting that hot when nothing's happening then you MIGHT have a problem.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:27 am

Aha! Mike Croft reviewed the One in Dec 2016. I shall dig out the mag but I am sure he would have commented on any unusual temperature rise?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 am

ef37a wrote:Aha! Mike Croft reviewed the One in Dec 2016. I shall dig out the mag but I am sure he would have commented on any unusual temperature rise?

Dave.

The review is here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/jbl-eon-one

...and he didn't make comment at all on how hot it did (or didn't) get.

If both units run warm to the same degree I'd assume that's the way it's meant to be.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby pax-eterna » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks guys.

The mains rating? If it is what I think you mean, it says 100/120 - 200/20 volts , 50/60hz

I hear what you are all saying in that it is probs meant to be this way, but a class D (as was pointed out should not really be generating any heat in a quiescent state...

Still waiting to hear from JBL support :(
pax-eterna
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:47 pm

The fact the JBL manual says 100-120VAC 200-240VAC, seems to indicate to me that its not a universal power supply, as they would normally put something like "100-240VAC" on these, so they look to be area specific. There looks to be a sliding voltage selector switch above the mains connector input in some photos, so check that it's set to the right voltage.

It's not a huge power amp at 250W +125W , but it's quite a compact unit and there are no external fins to help with cooling, so heat may build up over time if it's not being used. Even a small amount of heat can add up if there's not a huge amount of natural ventilation within the case. It's probably a lot cooler when its running as it should then have air moving across it when the bass driver operates.

I had a power supply component fail in one of my Adam A7x speakers after it had been on for some time with no signal going through it. That had finned heat sinks mounted internally, with a metal frame connecting it to the rear panel for a bit of extra heat dissipation, but my thoughts were that it probably got too hot because there wasn't any music playing through it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby pax-eterna » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:26 am

Thx wonks, that may be it - but I am still waiting on something (ANYTHING haha) from JBL support... :madas:
pax-eterna
Regular

Postby pax-eterna » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:36 am

The only JBL support that seems to be active is the consumer divison...seems JBL Pro are nowhere to be seen!

Consumer won't touch the request, handballing it to Pro division who don't reply...bit annoying really I jsuut spent over $3k for these two systems and can get nothing from the company!

Okay rant over hahahaha!
pax-eterna
Regular

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:04 am

Wonks, in any competently designed active speaker I would have thought the PSU/amplifier section would be closed off to the speaker enclosure?

Two reasons: First, any decent speaker cab needs to be airtight* or, in the case of a ported cab, only open at the port, odd leaks can cause whistles and defeat the reflex design.
Secondly, very few bass drivers have the hollow centre pole needed to vent air through them, indeed many monitor woofers have a solid cone front.

*Closed box designs do have a very slow leak to equalize air pressure, either by design or due to the fact that "paper" cones are never totally airtight.

Jusfort! Also, some components, capacitors e.g are microphonic and it would be wise to isolate them from the very high SPLs in a speaker cab.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 pm

They certainly weren't in the Adams, and as far as I can remember, the amp section wasn't isolated in some Studiospares Fortissimo active speakers that I took apart.

The back was generally airtight, though on the Fortissimos, the cooling fins were on the outside of the enclosure.

I did have a look at a mate's Line 6 Bass amp that had a cooling fan that he thought wasn't working. This was in a separate flat enclosure, but with only minimal vents at the back in addition to the fan. It turned out the fan was temperature controlled and didn't kick in on low speed until the internal heatsink temp got to 44 °C and high speed at 51°C. So a lot of these amps are designed to run quite hot.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:26 pm

Wonks wrote:They certainly weren't in the Adams, and as far as I can remember, the amp section wasn't isolated in some Studiospares Fortissimo active speakers that I took apart.

The back was generally airtight, though on the Fortissimos, the cooling fins were on the outside of the enclosure.

I did have a look at a mate's Line 6 Bass amp that had a cooling fan that he thought wasn't working. This was in a separate flat enclosure, but with only minimal vents at the back in addition to the fan. It turned out the fan was temperature controlled and didn't kick in on low speed until the internal heatsink temp got to 44 °C and high speed at 51°C. So a lot of these amps are designed to run quite hot.

That does surprise me about people as prestigious as Adams Mr W!
As for the bass amp? Might expect that for a class AB of high power (?) but not class D when not being driven hard. But then I am a bit anal about heat and 'tronics!
I had to fit a passively cooled graph card to my 6 core Asus home build and that got too hot to touch PDQ. I dobbed in a gash 80mm fan, can have a digit on it all day now!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby pax-eterna » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm

I'm happy to say JBL have advised this is nornal for this system........

Hi Dennis,

I cooked the unit over night, and I found that the screws on the back panel are screwed into the heat sink of the amp and do get hot... But it is part of the normal operation for the amp and not to worry. We thank you for your input and concerns on this matter.

Thanks

Everett Watts
JBL Professional
Technical Support

So all is normal and they are fine to use moving forward. Thanks again to thos folks who took the time to comment here :)
pax-eterna
Regular