You are here

Busking with a stage piano - is it possible?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Busking with a stage piano - is it possible?

Postby The Coastal Path » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 pm

There's a guy close to where I live in Toronto who busks with a grand piano (I kid not) - solves the power issues...
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path

Postby artzmusic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:39 pm

A bit afield I know, but in Sacramento some years ago I came across a guy who had a baby grand in what we call a box truck. There was just enough room inside for about 10 people at a time to gather around the piano. He took any requests and played pedalboard bass, electric bass, trumpet, steel drum, and sang during all of his songs too. I was dumbfounded.

The tip jar filled up fast. Such talent as that deserved a proper venue but he seemed happy with his portable busking truck. And so were we!

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:55 pm

My bad re the Casio I think :oops:

Looks as if the mic input is only for sampling.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby One Horse Town » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
One Horse Town
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 pm

A MXR Gain Brain and a dynamic mic would easily solve that problem, just plug it into the iPod input ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MusicLessonsAnywhere » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi all, I have a Kawai KS8 on board a boat and want to to connect it directly to the 12v batteries, rather than using the inverter (for 240v and the mains power adapter).

Anyone know if this is possible?

I don't want to try it before knowing it won't damage the piano

If possible, what is the spec for the 12v DC jack? (I can't find it anywhere)

Any help, thanks in advance!
MusicLessonsAnywhere
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 pm

MusicLessonsAnywhere wrote:Anyone know if this is possible?

If the keyboard requires 12V DC then it should be possible to run it from batteries, in theory... But, like you, I can't find any specs for the keyboard power input either.

The only spec I found is that the keyboard consumes 11W so I would expect the mains power adapter to be marked as supplying around 1-1.5 Amps at 12V dc.

The obvious concern is about what the maximum acceptable input voltage is, as freshly charged or charging lead-acid batteries on your boat could get up to just over 14V. Even if the power supply in the keyboard can cope with the slightly higher voltage, the regulators would have an extra couple of Watts of energy to dissipate, adding to the component stresses....

You'd also have to get the right coxial power plug, and wire it with the correct polarity, of course -- although that should be indicated on the mains power adapter.

So potentially do-able... But I'd want confirmation from kawai rather than take the risk.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 pm

May I suggest an alternative route. We have a Yamaha P115 piano which has a 12v input. I'm imagining it's like your KS8 (although rather puzzlingly I can't find any reference to a Kawai KS8 online so I can't confirm that). When we want to power it away from the mains we use one of these, a power bank. It supplies enough power to keep the piano running for several days continuously.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby MusicLessonsAnywhere » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Hugh and ConcertinaChap,
Thanks for getting back and for the advice.
This is from Kawai after I asked them the same question (running directly off 12v batteries):

"We cannot recommend powering the piano from anything other than the supplied mains power adaptor. For any information about powering from the 12v batteries, we have to recommend that you contact a qualified electrician for advice."

The power bank is probably the way to go.

By the way, it's an ES110 (sorry I got the model number wrong!) :headbang:

If anyone knows of a power bank that will work this piano and has the correct jack, please post.

Thanks again!
MusicLessonsAnywhere
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Most of the Amazon power packs just supply 5V for charging USB power devices like phones and tablets. Look for one which supplies 12VDC and you'll be fine with that. The connector issue is no different from using the boat battery, you'll still need a cable with the appropriate connectors on each end. But I suspect many power packs that provide 12V will come with a selection in the same way that universal mains PSUs do so see if you can find one of those.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MusicLessonsAnywhere » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Thank you Sam Spoons, hopefully I can find a power bank that supplies 12v, just not sure if the correct jack is supplied with the unit. Will check it out.

Admins - great forum, thank you for the facility, very helpful.
MusicLessonsAnywhere
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Power Banks that can do 12V are not too hard to find and it's not too difficult to make the appropriate cable if it's not included.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MusicLessonsAnywhere » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi Sam Spoons, I went to a pretty big independent electrical supplies shop (a dying breed these days) and they didn't recognise the ES110 power input jack. This is the only bit worrying me if I get a power bank :)
MusicLessonsAnywhere
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Have you got the standard PSU? You could just buy a male and female power plug to match the Power-Bank, cut the DC cable and fit the female on the PSU end and the male on the cut end.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MusicLessonsAnywhere » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi Sam Spoons, thanks for the idea. I'm trying to source a power bank equivalent to the RavPower RP PB14 featured here (which is hooked up to an ES110, exactly what I have), a power bank which is no longer available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5quDtJJ_PzU
That came with the correct DC input jack (amongst many others). Many more power banks out there now, so one should come with a jack to fit.
MusicLessonsAnywhere
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:46 am

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous