You are here

Zoom do it again! The Livetrak L-12

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Zoom do it again! The Livetrak L-12

Postby timoc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
It's a fact of life that on many mixers at the cheaper end of the spectrum it's not possible to route onboard effects to the monitor sends.

Hi Mike,

True, but the master mix can be routed to headphones with effects. I'd be happy to have those same effects on the sub-mixes, and just be able to adjust volume/mute.

Timo
timoc
Regular

Postby timoc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:33 pm

ore_terra wrote: I got home last night after a night out with friends and I reckon I wasnt fit for deep forum reading/understanding :lol: :lol:

:tongue: been there, done that :)
timoc
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 am

Saw one 'in the flesh' for the first time yesterday... very nice. Fader action good at this price-point. Dealer confirmed that the mic pres are the same as Zoom F4 and F8.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby luizfer69 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:31 pm

timoc wrote:
ore_terra wrote:Well, if it’s at the right level why cant you use it as send fx??!

Hi ore_terra - I am not sure I understand the question. I asked about using the headphone outputs as aux sends earlier for studio scenarios. However, when I am playing live or rehearsing, I don't want to bring additional external hardware. I would like my drummer to have a headphone mix that includes a click track, but it would be better for him (in terms of engagement/emotion) if he was able to hear the delays and reverbs on the guitars and synths (he plays live with headphones on). After reading the manual, it seems that that is not possible.

I'm agree with you Timoc. It's a shame that the effects can not be hearing through the headphones outputs. But I wonder if it could be possible somehow, using the master output with FXs to get it back to the L-12 to another channel and muting the source signal.

For example: Vocals go to channel #1 with effects, only that channel goes to the Master output, with an XLR cable that signal goes again to the channel #2 with the wet signal so it can be heard by all the headphones outputs. The Master output only would have the wet channel #1 and all the others muted, and in the headphones the mixes would have the channel #2 with the wet signal from the Master and all the others channels except the number #1 muted to avoid feedback.

I don't know if I am clear enough or if this is a dumb question. This would be my firts mixer and I don't know too much about sound processing.

Everybody: Do you think it could work? Do you think the L-12 could be damaged if I test this idea?

Thanks for your comments!
luizfer69

Postby ore_terra » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:33 am

yeah that's something you can do.

route master to one of the monitor output (there's a switch for that) and this back to one of the stereo channels. then use monitor mix "A" as your master as it has separated outputs for L and R. these are TRS though, not XLR.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 am

I have a pair of LiveTrak L12s on order in prep for the recorded gigs later this year. I will come back with impressions and reports as I can. It looks like the earliest I will receive them will be the end of April.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:31 am

It does seem like the only thing Zoom have really got wrong with this is estimating the demand.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ore_terra » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 am

hehe that's true... I preordered mine in August thinking that I would get it after I came back from holidays. I didnt get it until October :lol:

now I got it for sale and it's the only one I've seen. it's being really a successful product so far.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby george_vel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:33 am

Mike Stranks wrote:
Dealer confirmed that the mic pres are the same as Zoom F4 and F8.

Relying on the experienced ears here on SOS forum and on whom actually used L-12, can someone really confirm is this true (i.e. up to 75 dB of gain, like F-ones)?

Based on pricing difference between Zoom F8 and L-12, I have some doubts that L-12 is having the same preamps quality... Although it is a different horse for different course, if it has the same sound quality, for many customers Zoom Co may end up "canibalizing" their own F8 product and shift customers to L-12.

A major difference I see between both is the sampling rate - L-12 goes up to 96, while F-series - up to 192 kHz, but doubt this is the main reason for EUR 200 diiference.
george_vel
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 am

I suspect the main driver of the price difference comes down to how many they expect to sell and therefore bulk manufacturing costs.
The market for mixers is considerably larger than for high quality portable multi-track recorders, i reckon...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:27 am

According to the manual, the Livetrak L-12 preamps have a maximum +60dB input gain.

Of course the peak digital level generated by any given analogue input signal will also depend on how the preamp and converter are aligned.
Sam Inglis

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 am

blinddrew wrote:It does seem like the only thing Zoom have really got wrong with this is estimating the demand.
I've been told mine will be arriving end of April. Much later than that and I'll need to re-think recording the upcoming gigs.

Hmmm...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby george_vel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:55 am

Sam Inglis wrote:According to the manual, the Livetrak L-12 preamps have a maximum +60dB input gain.

Of course the peak digital level generated by any given analogue input signal will also depend on how the preamp and converter are aligned.

Yeah, meanwhile I’ve checked that too on their website.
Now I have even more doubts the preamps are the same as with F-s, as the dealer stated.
george_vel
Regular

Postby chaocrator » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 am

bought one yesterday, so my 2 cents.

1) excellent gear with very well balanced feature set, IMO.
most posts in this topic are about what it can't do, but hey, DSP power is limited.

2) for those who interested: it's fully operational on linux when in class compliant mode.
all 14 channels (12 + stereo master) are available via jack.
chaocrator

Postby george_vel » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:29 am

The Elf wrote:
blinddrew wrote:It does seem like the only thing Zoom have really got wrong with this is estimating the demand.
I've been told mine will be arriving end of April. Much later than that and I'll need to re-think recording the upcoming gigs.

Hmmm...

Do you know why it’s taking so long for you?
I see Thoman has L-12 in stock, even a b-stock offer for €555 at the moment, and I guess it will take no more than 3-4 days to be delivered to UK.

P.S. I consider L-12 as an alternative to F8, so still waiting someone to share something about preamps quality vs. F8
george_vel
Regular

PreviousNext