You are here

Zoom do it again! The Livetrak L-12

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Zoom do it again! The Livetrak L-12

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 am

The X32 won#t multi-track record AND act as an audio interface simultaneously. That's a huge hole in what I need to do...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ore_terra » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am

... and overdub!
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am

It's great there's a range of options so that people can choose the workflow that best suits their purpose. Our team have recently decided not to use fader-free tablet operated mixers because of the (admittedly rare) possibility of drop outs in critical applications. I really liked the MR18 but we let it go because it didn't match our requirements.

The QSC Touchmix is about as paired back as we're prepared to go - and it sounds wonderful.

I could well imagine the Livetrack delivering very well for certain applications (like what Elf has in mind).

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby permanent_daylight » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:48 pm

I had been waiting for a pro version of something like the R16. I really don't like how that machine acts with external preamps and the ground loop or phantom power issues it has so it sounds like that would be better at this price. (the next step up in quality is some of the newer presonus studiolive, for recording without computer, i suppose, which is way out of my range). The lack of AUX busses are major oversight on a lot of these multitrack recorders so that's pretty darn useful for reamping and effects (i guess the monitor bus is roughly the same thing).

It would be useful to know what the compressor knob actually does. It might have been more useful to have a simple limiter.

The R16 you can connect two together to use as a 32 track, 16 input recorder. I wonder if you can do the same for this? I could connect it to the R16 i have to record a full band for example and stick with the L12 instead of paying double for the L20. . (my R16 actually has a broken 7th channel, so i doubt it would sell anyway). Otherwise with a dual preamp for the last stereo channels that would expand its capabilities a bit- can anyone recommend a budget preamp with a few channels or something like an 8 mic pre, 8 bus mixer to go with it?

Not been using an interface since for years! But i still mix in the DAW, unless i want to use outboards. I am definitely an ameteur but sure, computers and latency are my phobia and never got staring at a screen whilst playing or creating something. I like recording on location too- makes it a bit easier.
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby permanent_daylight » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:02 pm

Can anyone tell me if there are virtual tracks, takes or file assign?

Any workaround?

Zoom R-16 you can just unassign the file in the track so it doesn't get recorded over.

The majority of my location recording is to have a mix track and add other tracks (i usually will e.g. record all the guitars in a session, so I just play each to the mix track and don't worry about reference of the new tracks), but having the possibility of saving takes is pretty useful. Its especially inconvient if not there because you have to move to different inputs to record on a new track. Even the times i record in the first take i find that I have doubling parts or parts where i can just swap the mics or pedals before an overdub which makes it easier.

Otherwise this machine was something i was about to get. I can't think of a workaround if not...make a load of identical projects? repeat the whole mix a few times? how about the l-20? I'm going to end up with a laptop and interface aren't i...(which i pretty much don't want)
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby DGL. » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 am

The Elf wrote:The X32 won#t multi-track record AND act as an audio interface simultaneously. That's a huge hole in what I need to do...

A bit of a late reply but it will with the X-LIVE card.

This is the blurb from their website:

The X-LIVE USB and SD interfaces can be operated simultaneously and independently. For example, you may want to play back your recorded session from an SD card and record the tracks via USB into your favorite DAW for post-processing. Or, you might need to prepare live backing tracks in your DAW and then transfer them to an SD card in real time, while setting performance markers on-the-fly. You can even record using both the USB and SD simultaneously for redundancy. Best of all, these operations can be performed without routing tracks through your console channels, leaving the X32 completely free to craft the perfect FOH mix.
< less

Total cost with an X-LIVE card and an X32 producer is ~£1,165
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 am

permanent_daylight wrote:Can anyone tell me if there are virtual tracks, takes or file assign?

Any workaround?

Zoom R-16 you can just unassign the file in the track so it doesn't get recorded over.

The majority of my location recording is to have a mix track and add other tracks (i usually will e.g. record all the guitars in a session, so I just play each to the mix track and don't worry about reference of the new tracks), but having the possibility of saving takes is pretty useful. Its especially inconvient if not there because you have to move to different inputs to record on a new track. Even the times i record in the first take i find that I have doubling parts or parts where i can just swap the mics or pedals before an overdub which makes it easier.

Otherwise this machine was something i was about to get. I can't think of a workaround if not...make a load of identical projects? repeat the whole mix a few times? how about the l-20? I'm going to end up with a laptop and interface aren't i...(which i pretty much don't want)

mmm... I guess you could be playing back the mix track from an USB and then record as many takes (in separate "projects" or folders) as you want. it doesn't have virtual takes nor anything like that.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:13 pm

DGL. wrote:
The Elf wrote:The X32 won#t multi-track record AND act as an audio interface simultaneously. That's a huge hole in what I need to do...

Yes, that looks a good solution, but at this stage (I've already successfully recorded the first couple of gigs), I think it would be unwise to jump horses.

The two L-12s have been good so far. I'm not a fan of the 'catch and update' fader system, but I can live with it. As suspected (though I hoped I'd be proved wrong) the recordings from the two mixers aren't perfectly in sync, but they are close enough that I can tweak them in my DAW (using a common reference signal).
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby permanent_daylight » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:12 pm

ore_terra wrote:
permanent_daylight wrote:Can anyone tell me if there are virtual tracks, takes or file assign?

Any workaround?

mmm... I guess you could be playing back the mix track from an USB and then record as many takes (in separate "projects" or folders) as you want. it doesn't have virtual takes nor anything like that.

If it can play from USB stick data that would be fine I would have thought. All i need is the raw bones of recording, in time, multitracked of course. Files come straight off after i get home and i render a working master mix for the next session. It seems like I can't upload a file onto SD and then assign it either so it may even be the only way to do anything. The manual I must study before buying as often is the case :roll:

It was one feature of the R-16 that was sometimes conveniant and sometimes annoying that inputs are not routable to different tracks as that would almost do it for me.
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 pm

yeah, I believe you can. don't know sure because I sold mine last month and never used that feature. let's see if The Elf or any of the others can confirm.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby permanent_daylight » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:13 am

ore_terra wrote:yeah, I believe you can. don't know sure because I sold mine last month and never used that feature. let's see if The Elf or any of the others can confirm.

that's something. I actually contacted about the lack of the track assign feature and they said they'd pass it on to firmware development. might happen...
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm

The Elf wrote:
DGL. wrote:
The Elf wrote:The X32 won't multi-track record AND act as an audio interface simultaneously. That's a huge hole in what I need to do...
I began looking into this and it seemed good for a while... until I noticed that there are only 6 line inputs. That's not going to cut it for my use. Shame. The personal monitoring system would have been a great solution for us. Of course we could add DIs, but the box/cable count is starting get a bit excessive by now. Oh well.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby sensorypulse » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:33 am

How to import audio files from USB on Zoom Livetrack L-12

Had to work this out with trial and error, as there were no clues given in manual and Zoom have yet to reply to my tweets and direct messages asking for hints. Simply sticking an audio wav on a USB flash drive isn't sufficient: the files are not recognised.

Firstly, my flash drive is a Sandisk 32GB Ultra Flair USB 3.0 formatted to FAT32.

After several days of head-scratching over this, and putting a number of different audio-format files, from 16bit 44.1Khz mono and stereo wav files to MP3s both stereo and mono, to audio files of the exact same sample rate as the project I was working on on the L12 (24 bit, 48KHz), I still found that when I chose Menu - Project - File Import, I just kept getting the same message: "No Files".

I eventually decided to create a new project on the L12, record a couple of tracks live (as I'm used to doing, but this process is described in the manual) and then choose Menu - Project - Project Export and said OK. After this had taken place, I also did Menu - Project - File Export, chose an audio file at random and said OK.

I took the flash drive back to my PC and found that the above processes had created on my Flash Drive a folder called ZOOM_L-12, and within it two subfolders called AUDIO and PROJECT.

At that point, I put from my PC, into the above AUDIO folder, a wav file of the same sample rate as my L12 projects were set to (24 bit, 48KHz), and returned to the L12 with the flash drive and inserted it.

Now when I chose Menu - Project - File Import, suddenly my audio file above appeared and was available for import, and I was able to do this successfully.

Unless I'm going mad, the above procedure is not listed in the manual nor anywhere on the Zoom website, and really should be. Nor does the Zoom L12 appear to have any system for formatting the USB Flash drive, which might automatically add the above folders and file structure, ready to go.
sensorypulse

Postby rsd » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Hey there. Im looking for some help. I come from a DJ background. I got a L12 for an online radio station playing music. I cant seem to find out how to cue up a track in my headphones (and only hear that track) without it going to the master. Any pointers please.
rsd

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Each headphone output has its own submix.

Start by plugging your headphones into the 'A Phones' socket. Make sure that the 'MASTER/A' button, over in the Monitor Out section, is pressed in. This selects the 'A' submix for your headphones.

Now press the 'FADER MODE' button A. This now lets you set up submix A - this is the submix that *you* are going to hear. Move all the faders (the faders are on a pass-through 'grab' system - check the manual) to give yourself the mix you want.

Now press the 'FADER MODE' button MASTER. This will let you set up the submix that will go to the MASTER L/R outputs. These are the sockets which you should be using to send out to your listeners. Now you can create the mix you want your listeners to hear (and you can check it by switching the 'MASTER/A' button (over in the Monitor Out section) to MASTER (button pressed out).

That should do it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Previous