You are here

Alto TS212 Repair

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Alto TS212 Repair

Postby prot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 pm

One of my 15 month old TS212's is as dead as a dodo. It was OK on Saturday night, but failed Sunday afternoon. It lights up as expected but doesn't produce any sound. Checked both inputs with known working sources and checked the mains fuse. It's probably only been used 8 or 10 times for acoustic or jazz combos in smallish 50-100 seat venues. With the exception of low-level interval music it's never been used for drums or bass and It's certainly never been overdriven. I'm pretty gutted to be honest.

Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation for a repairer in the East Somerset area please.
prot
Poster

Re: Alto TS212 Repair

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:40 pm

prot wrote:One of my 15 month old TS212's is as dead as a dodo. It was OK on Saturday night, but failed Sunday afternoon. It lights up as expected but doesn't produce any sound. Checked both inputs with known working sources and checked the mains fuse. It's probably only been used 8 or 10 times for acoustic or jazz combos in smallish 50-100 seat venues. With the exception of low-level interval music it's never been used for drums or bass and It's certainly never been overdriven. I'm pretty gutted to be honest.

Anyway, I'm looking for a recommendation for a repairer in the East Somerset area please.

You have tried different cables I s'pose...?

Presumably you didn't buy from one of the 'extended warranty' suppliers...?

Before you try and find a repairer I'd talk to your original supplier and Alto (or their UK distributor). If the speaker is as you say you might get a sympathetic hearing... Worth a shot and you've not really lost anything if they're not interested.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Alto UK distributor is:

NUMARK ALESIS EUROPE LTD

Unit 3,
Nexus Park
Lysons Avenue
Ash Vale
ALDERSHOT GU12 5QE
UNITED KINGDOM
Phone Number: 0044 (0) 1252 896000
Fax Number: 0044 (0) 1252 896021
Countries Served: Ireland, United Kingdom

But outfits like this have normally only got one authorised repair facility in the UK - though they are set up to collect and deliver by courier.

Their direct line for warranty and non-warranty claims is
Phone: +44 (0) 1252 896040
Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00AM - 6:00PM BST

As Mike says, speak to them and see what they say.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Just because it's outside of 12 months doesn't mean you have no right to redress. It's a bit more complex but the consumer right act in 2015 includes provision for products not lasting as long as they might be reasonably expected to. There's a bit more detail here: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... ty-product and a couple of links and an advice line at the bottom.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby prot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've tried all the obvious things. When I realised they were out of warranty, I whipped the back off and visually checked the boards. Nothing obviously fried, no internal fuses and no loose wires evident.
They were purchased from Gear4 who, ironically, introduced a free 2 year extended warranty effective from this April!
I'll call the distributor tomorrow as suggested and explain the problem. Who knows, they might be sympathetic? I guess my worry is that the total repair cost will approach or exceed the cost of replacement. In anticipation I've already bought a replacement from Absolute Music - same price as most other suppliers but with free DPD delivery and 3 year warranty. It would be nice to have a spare though.
prot
Poster

Postby roaddowg » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:32 am

I have the same problem with one of my TS212. Off warranty, powers up, no sound. Did anyone find a possible fix?
roaddowg

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 am

I have a TS110 with a dead SMPSU, local tech stuck some new switching transistors in it but still no good so we decided it wasn't worth chasing the fault any further as it would exceed the value.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Following the attentions of 3 different repairs people mine (1st gen) are at the local tip, broke my bloody heart.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby mick.n » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:58 pm

The woofer on my TS115a blew last year. Fitted an upgraded driver that still works ok, but has added to the weight of the cab. Thinking of replacing it with a RCF 312.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 am

Mick, if my conversations are representative you must be one of the very few who have lost a driver instead of an amp.

If anyone can be persuaded to produce a suitable panel amp I reckon they could sell a couple of thousand easy enough.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby mick.n » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 pm

shufflebeat wrote:Mick, if my conversations are representative you must be one of the very few who have lost a driver instead of an amp.

If anyone can be persuaded to produce a suitable panel amp I reckon they could sell a couple of thousand easy enough.

Aye, no amp problems thus far...........however, on a couple of occasions i have had a problem with no sound output after setting up at a gig. Left it powered up for 5 mins & all was ok. I thought it may have been a damp problem as it was a bitterly cold night & it had been in the van all day.

All things considered, not one of my best purchases. ;)
mick.n
Frequent Poster