You are here

Comparison of Speakers ( JBL EON OR PASSIVE AND BEHRINGER)

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Comparison of Speakers ( JBL EON OR PASSIVE AND BEHRINGER)

Postby netoalas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm

I have a pair of JBL eon 615 and i need two more monitors. I have received 2 offers either a pair of Behringer b615d of a pair of passive JBL mpro 215. Out of the 3 set of speakers which would you rate higher and why ?

JBL model is old but i've heard they are very solid but these ones are used and at least 6-8 years of usage. The behringers were bought this year and are still under warranty.

Any experience with the Behringers ?? Are the EONs 615 better than the behringers B615D ??

Any input is appreciated.
netoalas
Poster

Re: Comparison of Speakers ( JBL EON OR PASSIVE AND BEHRINGER)

Postby netoalas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 pm

a) Behringer b615d x 2 = $725 (Still under warranty)

b) Passive JBL mpro 215 x 2 = $275 + (crown power $250) = $525 (used)
netoalas
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 pm

My gut feeling would be to go for the Berrys but not at that price, I'm in the UK but they are only £750 or so a pair new here.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby netoalas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:My gut feeling would be to go for the Berrys but not at that price, I'm in the UK but they are only £750 or so a pair new here.

I feel you, new they are $900 in the US (pair), but i am in El Salvador, Central America and here a new pair goes for $1400 ... everything is overpriced in a third world country .... ohhh the irony on that ! So I have to struggle to find good prices !

http://www.electronicajaponesa.com/tien ... -eurolive/
netoalas
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:52 am

Fair enough :( may be worth a punt then.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:50 pm

Looking at the sound output levels (not the amplifier ratings), the B615 is lightly less powerful at 126dB than the EON 615s at 127dB.

The JBL mpro 215s are 250W rms passive speakers, which would need a power amp of around 500W per channel into 8 ohms to get the most from them. Obviously that puts the price up, (plus if you haven't got one with some space left, you'll need to buy a rack case for the amplifier). You've given a price for a power amp but you haven't given any details of it apart from its make. If it's less than 375W per channel then it's not big enough for the speakers. As to the speaker loudness; the speaker is quoted at 99dB for 1W input. At 250W of input power, this gives almost 24dB more output , so you are looking at 123dB of sound output. (You need an amp that's 1.5x to 2x bigger than the speakers RMS watts value as you won't be pushing a continuous level signal through them, and the average power level of a music signal through a 250W per channel amp is far less than 250W - which is why you want to use an amp with a bigger rating than the speaker. It's also the reason why you see a 250W RMS speaker being quoted as having 500W of 'music power').

So the Behringers will be closest to the EON 615s in terms of output power. The JBLs will be 4dB quieter than the EONs and 3dB quieter than the JBL mpros. In reality it's not a huge volume difference, but it can mean the difference between having the speakers operating within their limits, or having to be pushed hard in order to get enough volume.

None of the speakers are as efficient/loud as more modern active speakers such as a pair of Yamaha DXR15s at 132dB max. These are 6db louder than the B615s, and a 6dB difference is physically twice as loud (though the human ear might perceive it as a bit less). Unfortunately they are also a lot more expensive and probably hard for you to source.

This is all based on the spec sheets for the speakers I haven't heard any of the speakers mentioned (except the Yamahas), but I did once have a pair of the original passive EON 15" speakers and they were very good, loud, speakers (if a little harsh at times around the 1kHz region) so I expect the EON 615s to be of a similar quality.

Out of the Behringers and the passive JBLs, my choice would be the Behringers. Their recent speakers are a lot better than their early models.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby netoalas » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Wonks wrote:Looking at the sound output levels (not the amplifier ratings), the B615 is lightly less powerful at 126dB than the EON 615s at 127dB.

The JBL mpro 215s are 250W rms passive speakers, which would need a power amp of around 500W per channel into 8 ohms to get the most from them. Obviously that puts the price up, (plus if you haven't got one with some space left, you'll need to buy a rack case for the amplifier). You've given a price for a power amp but you haven't given any details of it apart from its make. If it's less than 375W per channel then it's not big enough for the speakers. As to the speaker loudness; the speaker is quoted at 99dB for 1W input. At 250W of input power, this gives almost 24dB more output , so you are looking at 123dB of sound output. (You need an amp that's 1.5x to 2x bigger than the speakers RMS watts value as you won't be pushing a continuous level signal through them, and the average power level of a music signal through a 250W per channel amp is far less than 250W - which is why you want to use an amp with a bigger rating than the speaker. It's also the reason why you see a 250W RMS speaker being quoted as having 500W of 'music power').

So the Behringers will be closest to the EON 615s in terms of output power. The JBLs will be 4dB quieter than the EONs and 3dB quieter than the JBL mpros. In reality it's not a huge volume difference, but it can mean the difference between having the speakers operating within their limits, or having to be pushed hard in order to get enough volume.

None of the speakers are as efficient/loud as more modern active speakers such as a pair of Yamaha DXR15s at 132dB max. These are 6db louder than the B615s, and a 6dB difference is physically twice as loud (though the human ear might perceive it as a bit less). Unfortunately they are also a lot more expensive and probably hard for you to source.

This is all based on the spec sheets for the speakers I haven't heard any of the speakers mentioned (except the Yamahas), but I did once have a pair of the original passive EON 15" speakers and they were very good, loud, speakers (if a little harsh at times around the 1kHz region) so I expect the EON 615s to be of a similar quality.

Out of the Behringers and the passive JBLs, my choice would be the Behringers. Their recent speakers are a lot better than their early models.

Thanx Wonks, you rule !! I bought the Behringers and they sound amazing, i tested them next to my eon615 and I have to say the Behringer is quite louder, at least 25-30% more. I was surprised by the sound quality, you were right the recent speakers are quite better than the old one i've tried. Your my favorite user in the Forum and i deeply appreciate your help .. if your ever around El Salvador holla at me to treat you with a steak.
netoalas
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:15 pm

Great that you really like the Behringers. I'm surprised they sound louder than the EON 615s (but then it can really be hard to tell just going by the specifications as all companies measure their speakers output in their own way and try to make them look as good as they can on paper). Sometimes you just need to turn the input gain up on the speakers to get the most output before clipping/distortion as they don't all have the same input gain structure. As long as you aren't seeing overload lights working on the speakers, you should be fine. If you are, then reduce the speaker's input gain a bit.

Glad to have helped.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853