You are here

communication software between FOH and backstage people

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

communication software between FOH and backstage people

Postby dennisgamalej » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 am

Hello. Does someone knows a communication software between FOH and backstage people.
With greets,
Dennis Smit
dennisgamalej
Regular

Re: communication software between FOH and backstage people

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Do you mean so you can communicate via keyboards and screens? Those system are used extensively in broadcast...

... But why would you want to do that? It's expensive and requires extra kit.

Portable radios with headsets or earpieces are easier, cheaper and more flexible... It's what I use.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:34 pm

iPhones and text?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby dennisgamalej » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm

software for pc to text with pc.
dennisgamalej
Regular

Postby Dr R » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Open Skype video call between a phone on the FOH desk and a tablet back stage. Instant, and can be silent or with speech as required. We have used big coloured cue cards back stage, and simple hand gestures from the FOH. Other video platforms are available.

Don't rely on text messages as they are not actually real-time. (Worst case scenario I had was using text message confirmations for a software go-live weekend. The text confirmation from the warehouse hadn't arrived after a couple of hours so we phoned. The text eventually arrived a week after it was sent!)
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Matt Royston-Bishop » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 am

First post. Hopefully useful to you Dennis.

Portable radios, proper comms, or a shout speaker system are all useful systems of communicating between the stage and mix position. All have advantages and disadvantages and I believe it is often sensible to have multiple potential ways of sending or seeing a message.

If you need a text-based system, I could recommend http://www.nemesis-audio.com/sales-nemesis-radioworld.asp

Works on both PC and Mac, it is free and requires minimal system resources. The only requirement is that all computers are on the same network. This can be wireless - using the venue wifi (potentially an issue when there is an audience with multiple wifi devices and phones etc.) or on a wireless network using a switch. All of this is fairly straightforward to set up.
Matt Royston-Bishop