You are here

help me to choose microphone for not-acoustic room

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: help me to choose microphone for not-acoustic room

Postby newerart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:I’d pick the e835 over an SM58.

Are you videoing as well or is it just audio. In other words are you happy to work the mic close?

For podcast or voiceover work, I’d personally be happy with a good dynamic microphone worked appropriately.

Bob

Thanks Bob

I want to over voice on videoes
I want good output and I dont care if there will be some difficulties like "to work the mic close
newerart
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:50 pm

When you say 'over voice on videos' do you mean add the voice over to pre filmed footage or record the voice while you are being filmed?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:02 pm

I would pick almost anything over an SM58. The advice above is sound.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby newerart » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 am

Sam Spoons wrote:When you say 'over voice on videos' do you mean add the voice over to pre filmed footage or record the voice while you are being filmed?

Thanks Sam

I mean voice over to pre filmed footage .
newerart
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Cool, then, for your needs a vocal mic will work well, make sure you speak into it from a couple of inches away. But do take the time to read the article I linked to up the page, the people who wrote it are professional voice over artists and often record in unsuitable rooms, improvising acoustic treatment from what is available.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:30 am

I am actually hunting for the tests someone did on the Behringer XM8500 but just saw the 'slag' about 16bit USB mics?
Some, many maybe poor but the Citronics CCU3 is excellent, especially at its price (elsewhere in SOS is a clip of son playing ac guitar on one)

16 bits is really 'good enough', most people don't have houses or equipment with low enough noise to show its limits (tis CD afterall!) but there ARE bad 16 bit converters, mainly fitted to cheap mixers.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:57 am

newerart wrote:some people say buy consender . some guys say buy dynamic . all of them are expert . I know the diffrences between them at least a little . but I've just seen contradiction .

You're getting already great advice on the mic, so to clarify the above: there's just many ways to do what you want to do, and even more scenarios of what more you may want to do in the future. They all create lots of possible combinations, all equally working (or not) depending on the details of your situation, current and future.

So for example if you have a well treated room, you can be very successful with a condenser.. while if you're totally unware of the importance of the room, a dynamic will serve you better. If you know your gain staging, there's no problem in using a USB (condenser or dynamic as above) mic whose internal converter outputs 16 bit, but if you don't know much abut gain (or maybe you want to mix a guitar and voice track in the future), you're better off with 24 bits. Also, if you want to change microphones in the future, an interface with preamps separated from the mic is gonna save you money, but if not, it's irrelevant.. and so on.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:18 pm

CS70 wrote:
newerart wrote:some people say buy consender . some guys say buy dynamic . all of them are expert . I know the diffrences between them at least a little . but I've just seen contradiction .

You're getting already great advice on the mic, ....

Errrm... O/P is long-gone... last post was 30 months ago until Dave popped in with his views on 16-bit/24-bit. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:27 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
CS70 wrote:

Errrm... O/P is long-gone... last post was 30 months ago until Dave popped in with his views on 16-bit/24-bit. :)

Yeah, sorry, me stirring things up again.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:34 pm

ef37a wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:
CS70 wrote:

Yeah, sorry, me stirring things up again.

Dave.

Not at all... I've sent you a PM about the XM8500 review that Wonks did.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:05 am

Mike Stranks wrote:
CS70 wrote:

Ahah well, it's all words to the wind anyways :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous