You are here

Yamaha CP4.. What Monitor Speakers ???

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Yamaha CP4.. What Monitor Speakers ???

Postby pianoworldstage » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Any advice on this would be helpful.. I'm a full time street musician, piano player, not acoustic, keyboard. The rig consists of a yamaha P115 hooked up to a Roland KC110 amp. Although at the time this was all the budget i could afford.. having said that I've now grown frustrated with the P115 as I'm unable to input any expressive performance due to it being an entry level keyboard.. the key action is generic.. and the KC110 is not wide stereo.. 

The intention now is to scrap the rig and upgrade to a "Yamaha CP4 Stage" with 2 monitors speakers to anable a better performance and wider stereo.. could anyone suggest what monitors to go with? This would be played out in a small town Square.. usually to around 20 people..

Budget is £300 for the pair.
pianoworldstage

Re: Yamaha CP4.. What Monitor Speakers ???

Postby zenguitar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:38 am

Welcome to the SOS forums. :)

The first thing is that £300 is a tiny budget so you need to think carefully and spend wisely.

Even at major gigs the PA is essentially mono with, at most, a few stereo FX. So not only should you forget 'wide stereo', you don't even need ordinary stereo. With your limited budget quality mono sound is a challenge. I don't know the Roland KC110, but if has the option to run it in mono give that a try first.

If you have an iPhone of iPad you might consider Garage Band and using a USB MIDI keyboard like Nektar to play the piano presets. The instrument expansions are good and dirt cheap too. And I see that Yamaha have an app for the P115, have you used that to make the best use of your existing keyboard?

With so little money to spend it really is worth rethinking your choices to ensure you are being pragmatic in getting the best out of your current gear. £300 is a tiny budget for an electric piano and a tiny budget for a portable PA. It is inconceivable that it is big enough to give you both unless you are very lucky, very knowledgeable and have generous friends.

Get the best out of the gear you already have and keep saving untill you have £600-900 to spend. Good luck.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby resistorman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Assuming your budget is just for the speakers, the Behringer MPA40BT will fit it, and they sound good and are solidly made. I also have a Roland and the Bose S1, and these fit comfortably in between. There is a “pro” model for a bit more, but it just adds a handle and wheels. I really don’t want to be bouncing speakers down the cobblestones so I passed on that :D
resistorman
Regular
future26.com

Postby pianoworldstage » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 pm

Thank you both for your comments.. it really helped.
pianoworldstage