You are here

Small live/party outdoors

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Small live/party outdoors

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi Mary, yes I did mean the PC/Soundard/mics. If it was me I'd buy a cheap soundhole pickup like the one I linked to above and us it and the SM58 clone for live. Keep the Rode for recording only. The SM6 is not the mic's type number but the shock mount, however it does tell me that the mic is a large diaphragm capacitor (NT2A?) and not ideally suited for live use.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
blinddrew wrote:If everything is running off the same ground there can't be a loop...

I'm afraid that's not quite right. There is still a loop -- just draw it out and it's obvious! -- but there is a benefit in running everything off the same socket which is that it minimises the size of the loop.
H
I stand corrected! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:42 pm

blinddrew wrote:I stand corrected! :)

Right advice, but the wrong reasoning! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 pm

I was trying to simplify but ended up overdoing it. :)

[EDIT] My thinking being that the PA was the only unit in there that was probably grounded (assuming the laptop has a class II power supply).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby maryfallon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:01 pm

I solved the problem with changing lenovo's adaptor after changing all the cables i finally figured it out!Thank you very much for your help guys!
maryfallon
New here

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:57 pm

:thumbup: glad you got it sorted out, have a blast. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi Hugh,
Mary appears to be cooking with gas now so please indulge me with a query. I'm assuming the PA is earthed, the 2i2 is bus-powered and the laptop is not earthed, so I'm struggling to see where the loop comes in?
What am I missing please?
Cheers
Drew
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby maryfallon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:20 am

I was wrong the other adaptor didn't fit well and the power came from the battery the whole time.So im in zero again!(the mic is NT1-A)I dont want to buy pickup for that cheap acoustic guitar that i have!
maryfallon
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:52 am

blinddrew wrote:I'm assuming the PA is earthed, the 2i2 is bus-powered and the laptop is not earthed, so I'm struggling to see where the loop comes in?

I suspect in this case the laptop supply is a grounded one, since the noise problem only occurs when the laptop is running on its mains supply, not on batteries.

I haven't been following the thread in detail, but I think I read that the output from the interface to the mixer/PA was on rca-phono leads. It's possible that simply switching those to TRS-TRS cables to run balanced would solve the problem -- assuming the powermixer has balanced line inputs (but I don't know if it has!).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 am

maryfallon wrote:(the mic is NT1-A)I dont want to buy pickup for that cheap acoustic guitar that i have!

How are you getting on with levels on the guitar using the NT1A? And what is you reason for not wanting to buy a pickup?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:38 pm

maryfallon wrote:But there is a big problem, when my battery of my laptop died and pluged it into electricity i have a big noise to the monitors and i dont know why.
This problem is only too common, that the noise from the PSU makes audio output unusable.

Transformer isolation between the laptop's output and the mixer can help, using a passive DI between them can help, but you've already found the easiest solution - remove the charger before set time. I've had a few well established performers in with this problem, and have often had to resort to this simple, but clumsy solution.

Just a shame manufacturers go cheap on their laptop PSUs.
AlecSp
Regular

Previous