You are here

JBL VRX918SP Sub Rigging

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

JBL VRX918SP Sub Rigging

Postby piratewizard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Hey ladies and gents,

We just got in a bunch of JBL VRX boxes (918SP subs and 932LAP) and I had some questions about rigging and flying these with the VRX-AF fly bar.

The user manual has a fairly intuitive guide, but when it comes to attaching the fly bar to the 918SP sub it seems that there is a lot of pressure on the front end of the box and rigging attachments between the sub and frame.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience rigging these things up? I want to be sure I'm not endangering the gear and any bystanders by having missed some rigging points.
piratewizard

Re: JBL VRX918SP Sub Rigging

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi

Get in touch with JBL

Getting it wrong could be far too dangerous to risk using advice from unknown people on the internet.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

...or Sound Technology, if you're in the UK. They distribute JBL and have an install department too, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Brian M Rose » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:48 pm

One great thing about the SOS Forum is the advice given. The OP has done the right thing by asking.
Rigging is a very specialized area and does indeed need certain skills that most of us lack. whether it is heavy speakers, or as was in my case, remote control cameras, you have to comply with areas such as 'Working at Heights' and that simply means using a qualified rigging crew.
But you did exactly the right thing by asking, and having done so, you may have saved someone's life.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby piratewizard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:24 pm

MarkPAman wrote:Hi

Get in touch with JBL

Getting it wrong could be far too dangerous to risk using advice from unknown people on the internet.

You're right, that was my mistake for thinking this would be a valuable resource. Thanks for the help.
piratewizard

Postby Brian M Rose » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 pm

I'm going out on a limb here.... A rather dangerous thing to do at the best of times...
There are 'Musicians' and 'Engineers'.
The Engineers tend to have a longer life span than some musicians ;)
Because there are so many old Engineers here, you do get very good advice. I come from the film industry where in the good old/bad old days, no one bothered about health and safety. As a result, it was taken as a done deal, that there would be about three or four fatalities a year; not in war zones, but in film studios.
Thankfully, things are somewhat different these days. And remember, those H&S guidelines are for the most part, not written by the men in bowler hats, but by the actual practitioners.
As they say, 'There are Old pilots and Bold pilots, but there are no Old, Bold pilots.'
Brian M Rose
Regular