You are here

Amp suggestions for looping with multiple instruments

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Amp suggestions for looping with multiple instruments

Postby Jon Mabon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:02 am

Hi SOS. New to these forums so hope I'm in the right place!
I'm working on a set-up I can use for busking and small gigs.
I'm looking for suggestions for an amp that'll work with a loopstation and multiple instruments.
The instruments and equipment I use are:
Cigar box guitar, electric ukulele, Hammond 44 melodeon, lap harp, fiddle with LR Baggs bridge pickup, kalimba, electro-acoustic bass guitar and Korg volca keys, all of which have 6mm jack/line outputs which I feed through a Behringer Xenyx 1002 mixer to an RC300 loopstation. I also have an SM58 feeding straight into the looper for vocals and clarinet.
So far I've been rehearsing with a 25 year old Trace Elliot acoustic, but it's been getting a bit tired lately.
Currently looking at the Marshall AS50D. Am I anywhere near the right track? I don't need too many effects or gimmicks, but built-in reverb would be good - and I love the design of the Marshall!
Any suggestions welcome, or if you know a thread on a similar subject.
Cheers!
Jon Mabon

Re: Amp suggestions for looping with multiple instruments

Postby resistorman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:59 am

Since you mention busking, hands down the best sounding battery amp (and many AC powered systems) I’ve heard is the Bose S1. Much to the detriment of my wallet. I’m thinking about selling a couple of my QSC K10s and getting another. Full range badass tiny monster that defies physics. The only thing that is sub par about it is no phantom power... an oversight these days.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 am

Marshall acoustic amps are far from the best I have heard (they make the guitar sound too 'electric' to my ears). There are good ones, AER Compact 60, Fishman Loudbox and several others, and the Bose L1 Compact is a lovely bit of kit. If you need battery power though the list is much shorter. Have a look at the Boss StreetCube EX as a modestly priced alternative (but not the Roland AC30 which is very underpowered on batteries).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Jon Mabon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
The Bose L1 looks ideal, but is a bit out of my price range... currently looking at the S1 and the Fishman Loudbox Artist.
Also thinking about the Loudbox Mini, since it can be battery powered... any thoughts on that one? Would it be better to just get the Artist, soundwise?
Jon Mabon

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:04 am

If you can provide mains power (even from a reasonable powerful battery/inverter setup) you have a much wider range of amps to chose from. I have an AER Compact 60, a couple of TC VoiceSolo fx150s and various other bigger mains powered PA speakers (and a DIY battery powered Epiphone Valve Junior but that probably is not suitable for your needs). The TC boxes are remarkable for the price (around £250 each) and sound great on vocals and not too far off the AER with guitar.

The Fishman Loudbox range is well regarded but you would have to decide if the compromises self contained power confer are acceptable to you. A battery powered amp will be less powerful, heavier, more expensive and probably less well specified than an equivalent mains powered amp (the AER compact 60 costs £890, the 'Mobile' battery powered version £1184 though they are identical apart from the power source).

RM, don't sell the K10s just build a small battery/inverter unit to provide 230VAC. Slightly less convenient but way cheaper. A 7 AH SLA battery plus a 300 watt inverter will cost less than £50 and the ones I built into my Epi VJ run it for 2 1/2 hours. The K10s are pretty efficient (though they are a little more powerful than my VJ TBF) so should make best use of the power available.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby resistorman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 am

Sam Spoons wrote:RM, don't sell the K10s just build a small battery/inverter unit to provide 230VAC. Slightly less convenient but way cheaper. A 7 AH SLA battery plus a 300 watt inverter will cost less than £50 and the ones I built into my Epi VJ run it for 2 1/2 hours. The K10s are pretty efficient (though they are a little more powerful than my VJ TBF) so should make best use of the power available.

It's true, I've done it, but the Bose is so tiny, light, and clean sounding. I'd still have some K10's left :D ... bought a bunch when they came out. Getting old enough to recycle them, anyway.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com